Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Riddle me this ,

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2010, 08:15 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Riddle me this ,

I have been trying to work this out in my head and just can seem to wrap my mind around this . Ok here goes , my first crawler was the RS10 rockslide and after adding 540s and a good servo it did ok for what it was. My question is what makes a good axle? Say you have the same tires, motors , weight, foams , why are Rs10 axles a bad choice against say bullies or bergs ?Why do the bergs crawl so damn good ? RS10s have good ground clearence, great turning abilities, same track width, but just cant keep up. I dont get it ! If I had a moa losi,berg, bully,clod, all on the same wheels and tires all with the same ground clearence and total weight Im sure that the berg would go everywhere any of the others would go but the same wouldnt be true for the others . someone please explain . Thanks in advance - Bob
camobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2010, 08:22 PM   #2
0 0

Post a picture of your steering angle and then look at the steering angle of the Bergs and Xr10's. Thats the biggest difference.

Aside from that. They aren't proven axles and people use and make parts for what people already know and use.
romulus22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:34 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I don't know what experiences you're going off; most likely the differences in performance that you see are much more due to suspension, tire/foam and just setting up a good comp rig in under.

As you said, I'm sure if the RS10's had the same gearing, weight ect ... of another axle in using the same setup you wouldn't see much, if any difference in performance.
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:39 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

steering . what about the losi cc , is that considered good steering ? because those shaftys a pretty awsome too
Old 11-30-2010, 08:46 PM   #5
0 0

Losi's, Bullies and even Axial's with 300's have good steering too. but not as much as a berg or an XR10 from the pictures ive seen.

Steering isn't everything I was just using that as an example. When there are other better trucks out there with more more product support there are going to be way less guys looking to compete on a serious level choosing an axle that isn't as upgradable. And that causes a low market and want for people to make upgrades for those axles.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:50 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

so stock berg axles and highly modded rs10 axles should preform the same ? Is it the driver? Not many pros want to step down and grab a 150.00 redcat so is it just that were not seeing the jedi at the sword but the towel boy instead?
Old 11-30-2010, 08:52 PM   #7
0 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by camobob View Post
so is it just that were not seeing the jedi at the sword but the towel boy instead?
I would say that is the case for the most part.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:02 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

cool. Im building a 2.2 mini clod cane anyway so Im totally outdated , but then again the pimpcane worked at some point in crawling history. Practice makes perfect, I hope.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:06 PM   #9
0 0

Best thing you can do is do it right the first time. Use what you have and go to comps and have fun. Build you a comp crawler up to the standards of today's competition in the meantime. When you have a good crawler you'll have plenty of practice and know how to make it all come together.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:27 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

thats the thing , theres something inside me that hates conforming to standards. I dont know if I will ever own a berg or bully because its the easy way to do it. Guess I will have to place last or hope for a miracle.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:30 PM   #11
0 0

Keep with it

I follow the rule. Can't beat em, join em
Old 12-01-2010, 12:36 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

thanks for the advise. Good talk