Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Using rubber bands to lower the chassis but still allow articulation???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2010, 08:41 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Using rubber bands to lower the chassis but still allow articulation???

Is this method used often when nothing else seams to work?

To use rubber bands or a spring to pull down the suspension some but still allow enough articulation...which otherwise when limiting shock travel wouldn't.

For reference it's going to be used on a Berg Tracer.
vti-chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2010, 08:46 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I've seen it used on a truck for 6" tires at a local comp. Driver mentioned it worked well, basically prevented too much droop-out...though there are other ways to do that (internally limiting shocks).
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:06 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I run full droop on my ax-10 with 1/2" shock spacers for a little more ground clearance. I run a zip tie up front in the middle of the cross brace and axle. It doesn't give me any droop out but allows the front to articulate. The rear has nothing else. That helps my cg stay lower and seems to help on steep grades. But it took me a while to figure out that setup and I am still not convinced it is great. It helps but every setup has its plus and minus's. YOu just have to weigh it out and just tinker with it. That is the best part of the hobby because you might find the next best thing.
the3kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:08 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I do this on my Micro crawler. it helps out dramaticly.
Jslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 01:03 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Can you post pictures of your setup with this?
vti-chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:44 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Done it and it works. you get lower CG but the axles will still drop out when needed. I didn't have to change the springs or anything, but you have to tune the band to get the desired affect.
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:00 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Semi-droop in the front works well.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:40 PM   #8

have seen posts were guys with moa will run different pinnion sizes so the rear will be going slower that the front to kind of act like a bit of a drag & this will lower the cog as the front will pull & the suspension will drop
dinodbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:46 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

I've used the small strings from the inside of parachute cord to tie up the front links in the center of my Wheely-King axle. It still allows for full articulation, but keeps the front nose down.
BluFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:54 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

The benefit of rubber bands as opposed to limiting the shocks is they can be put on or removed in a matter of seconds, in between rounds of a comp if necessary. If you really needed to you could install it or remove it mid course and it'd only cost you 5 points for a vehicle touch, better than a 10 point reposition from getting a tire wedged into a big hole. (Would it be illegal to snip it quickly during a rollover? Kill 2 birds with 1 penalty kind of deal.)

I actually just thought of that now, going to try it in practice sometime to see if it's a viable technique.....
AdverseCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:48 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Use rubber O~rings,put them threw the top link and threw a chassis brace. The heavyer the rig is,the thicker the o~ring needs to be. Works great
hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 04:04 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Orings or rubber bands work great as long as they are used correctly. I dont think he is using them now with his XR10. But Austin was running that set-up on his old Berg truck.
Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 04:40 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdverseCity View Post
The benefit of rubber bands as opposed to limiting the shocks is they can be put on or removed in a matter of seconds, in between rounds of a comp if necessary. If you really needed to you could install it or remove it mid course and it'd only cost you 5 points for a vehicle touch, better than a 10 point reposition from getting a tire wedged into a big hole. (Would it be illegal to snip it quickly during a rollover? Kill 2 birds with 1 penalty kind of deal.)

I actually just thought of that now, going to try it in practice sometime to see if it's a viable technique.....
That would be a 10 pt touch and a reposition to the previously cleared gate just like you are trying to avoid........for each infraction

If you tried to snip it during a roll over that would be a 10 pt touch with reposition to the previously cleared gate........NOT a roll over.

If you touch the truck, each instance, it is a 10 pt penalty and reposition unless it is just a rollover. I would not try any of the stuff you are stating at an actual comp.

Last edited by CRSMacgyver; 12-15-2010 at 04:45 AM.
CRSMacgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:05 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdverseCity View Post

You must have missed the Rule Change 2 years ago. It was implemented for the exact reasons your talking about.
Fishmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:06 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Yeah, I'm not sure of the rule changes as of lately, did they get rid of the "1 minute on course repair" rule? I thought that was only 5 points...
AdverseCity is offline   Reply With Quote