Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Shortening CVDs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2010, 06:24 PM   #1

Default Shortening CVDs

So I've searched but haven't really come up with a definite answer for this. I have some LST2 cvd's that I want to shorten for a custom large scale build I'm hoping to do. I've read a few posts of people cutting them and then welding them back, but I don't have access to welding equipment.

Can I cut the cvds, sleeve them with some 5mm ID tube, and superglue the tube to the shafts? How durable would this be in a ~15lb truck? Or should I tap two holes in the sleeve (and grind flat spots onto the axles) and put in grubscrews? Ideally I'd put a pin right through the sleeve/axle but I don't want to put through-holes in the axles for fear of weakening them.
stona is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2010, 06:27 PM   #2
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by stona View Post
So I've searched but haven't really come up with a definite answer for this. I have some LST2 cvd's that I want to shorten for a custom large scale build I'm hoping to do. I've read a few posts of people cutting them and then welding them back, but I don't have access to welding equipment.

Can I cut the cvds, sleeve them with some 5mm ID tube, and superglue the tube to the shafts? How durable would this be in a ~15lb truck? Or should I tap two holes in the sleeve (and grind flat spots onto the axles) and put in grubscrews? Ideally I'd put a pin right through the sleeve/axle but I don't want to put through-holes in the axles for fear of weakening them.
Neither of those two solutions is going to hold up at all to a truck anywhere near that weight. I wouldn't trust that even on a 5lb scale truck with 1.9's. You may need to find someone to do it the correct way.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:03 PM   #3

How about pinning them? I've seen a few posts doing that. The axles are 5mm - would running a 3mm pin straight through weaken them a lot?
Old 12-09-2010, 09:15 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Superglue isn't going to cut it
Just take them to a (good) welding shop and have them shortened and TIG welded back togather

Last edited by Trugg; 12-09-2010 at 09:19 PM.
Trugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 06:08 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

What part needs to be shortened? The inner? Are you talking about CVD driveshafts or axleshafts?
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 06:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
What part needs to be shortened? The inner? Are you talking about CVD driveshafts or axleshafts?
Not sure which is which, but the long part - essentially the "bone" if it were a dogbone. The stub axle's fine.

If you weld these, do you cut them in half and then just weld the joint back, or do you put a steel sleeve over them and weld the sleeve at both ends?
Old 12-10-2010, 06:49 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

If you are talking about the CVDs INSIDE the axle cases, then you can simply cut the end off of the long part. Here is one guy's take:
my mrc rebuild
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 04:54 PM   #8

Ah, not quite what I was planning on doing. I'm hoping to have independent suspension so I'll need the pinned end of the bone. Running a pin through the bone was done in this build: another 2.2 twin force axle rig
I'm just worried about weakening the shaft since it's 5mm and I'd be using a 3mm pin.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:20 PM   #9
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by stona View Post
Ah, not quite what I was planning on doing. I'm hoping to have independent suspension so I'll need the pinned end of the bone. Running a pin through the bone was done in this build: another 2.2 twin force axle rig
I'm just worried about weakening the shaft since it's 5mm and I'd be using a 3mm pin.
That will not hold. You would need to have more area for the shaft to transfer the load. You need to have it done correctly or you are basically wasting your time.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:48 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I think one way it could be done is to shorten the cvd's but leave some extra length. Then grind a half lap on each end of the bone so when you put them together in a sleeve they over lap each other. Drill a few holes in the sleeve, coat the parts with rosin and use the holes to silver solder the axles and sleeve together. All you would need is the right sized sleeve,torch and solder.

Just an idea, but I think thats how I would try it.

Randy
racerrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:18 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Location: NHFF world headquarters, working on the "rock mauling hill shooting NHFF pig squealing death rocket"

i did this one and its doing fine

i just cut the shaft to length, then sleeved it with brake line, and pined it with these

cut to fit what i needed. i just silver soldered it together. now the first time i tried it i just used enough silver solder to keep the pin in place and it broke. i took the broke piece and stuck it back in the brake line and silver soldered it till it ran out both ends, i cleaned it up and its holding fine. 3s , 10t puller, axial transmission, and twin force axles. now im breaking the gear in the trans that goes on the spur gear shaft. but anyways i think it will hold just fine if done like this. a lot of the guys that ran supers on the twin board did it this way and it held up fine also.
buggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:43 PM   #12

Yeah, I saw this in your build I linked to above. So that's just a piece of brake line slipped over the cut end of the axle and pinned and then brazed? I find it interesting that it broke when you didn't have enough solder in there, but now is holding fine. We'll see what I end up doing. I really like the idea of pinning it since it's pretty easy, but I also like the toughness I would get if i cut it in half and slipped a tube over it and then had someone weld it all back together.