Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Backyard Scaler Course

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2011, 04:10 PM   #61
Quarry Creeper

thats pretty much what i did but no fence. i had to hang my bridge from a branch and its still not complete. its a bridge leading to nowhere. i have a turn in my bridge and its a pain trying to get the turn right. i might have to make a fixed corner piece because its right where its hanging from the tree. i need to get some 4x4 posts.
all_scaled_out is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2011, 04:15 PM   #62
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by all_scaled_out View Post
thats pretty much what i did but no fence. i had to hang my bridge from a branch and its still not complete. its a bridge leading to nowhere. i have a turn in my bridge and its a pain trying to get the turn right. i might have to make a fixed corner piece because its right where its hanging from the tree. i need to get some 4x4 posts.
ya a fixed turn would probably work good. what did you make your bridge out of??

EDIT: just took a second look at your bridge and thats what i want but now im second guessing it!! haha looks kind of slippery when wet.

Last edited by AX10wannabe; 02-02-2011 at 04:20 PM.
AX10wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:20 PM   #63
Quarry Creeper

i cut down some small pine trees and them down into 14-15 inch sections and connected them with metal wire, alot of work twisting and wrapping the small logs together. and its heavy as hell. when i install the posts it could probably support a parson or two.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:30 PM   #64
RCC Addict

holy crap. so i might go with the 2x4 bridge with some stuff protruding out, maybe double stack some 2x4's and 2x4/1x4's or something together.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:50 PM   #65
Quarry Creeper

yea its "overkill bridge". just try not to make it too steep to the top or it could cause slippage. some 2x1 planks would work also. i might go that route for the end of my bridge. i cut all those trees by hand haha
Old 02-02-2011, 04:53 PM   #66
RCC Addict

ya some 1x2 would work... ahhhhh so maybe ideas!!!! haha
Old 02-02-2011, 05:07 PM   #67
Quarry Creeper

glad i could help. the course has pretty much consumed me, its easy to fall into its trap, once you start you'll never finish.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:12 PM   #68
RCC Addict

^^ haha ya mine probably will too as im not working right now. if its not really cold outside tomorrow i'll try to get some pictures of the space i got to work with.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:06 AM   #69
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX10wannabe View Post
ya a fixed turn would probably work good. what did you make your bridge out of??

EDIT: just took a second look at your bridge and thats what i want but now im second guessing it!! haha looks kind of slippery when wet.
yea it can get a little slippery but as long as the bark holds up it gives the tires a little something to grab onto. its a little steep in one section of the bridge which im hoping the posts will eliminate with a gradual ascent.

heres the pic of the whoop section. kinda hard to see it though. i think it needs some improvement

and a picture of the bridge. it gets steeper when theres weight on it. need to fix that and tighten it up some more

Last edited by all_scaled_out; 02-03-2011 at 09:40 AM.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:40 AM   #70
RCC Addict

looks good.

not as cold out today so might go out take some pictures and stuff.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:21 AM   #71
Quarry Creeper

thanks. i might make them a little bigger and deeper and let the rain and constant driving on it let it smooth them out so its more wavy like and not so bumpy. im waiting on a new output shaft for my truck so i cant really test it out yet
Old 02-03-2011, 01:11 PM   #72
RCC Addict

nice job on the whoops. a little bigger and deeper would look a little more realistic though but guess i cant really "complain" because i dont even have a course yet!!
Old 02-03-2011, 01:23 PM   #73
Quarry Creeper

yea thats what i was thinking. start gathering materials for spring

i just built them up a little and spaced them out a little, man i wish my truck wasnt broke, i need to try them out.

updated pic of the whoop section

Last edited by all_scaled_out; 02-03-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:15 PM   #74
Quarry Creeper

This is really just getting better and better every time I check on your progress! That bridge looks so sweet but I got to admit it looks like a death drop if you or your radio glitches

This waiting around for the spring thaw here in Michigan, to get started on mine is gonna drive me insane! Man this is like torture...BUT yet, I just keep coming back for more...
Rockwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:27 PM   #75
RCC Addict

haha looks a little better... went outside for a few mins and shovelled off the deck but then my lungs started hurting again so i came in.

rockwolf- ya its killing me too!!! damn snow!! i bought my honcho in november so i didnt really get a chance to scrape it on some rocks before the snow started falling... in fact its snowing right now... BOOOOO!!!!!!

guess i could make up some bungee's and take my flat irons apart and trim the foam....
Old 02-03-2011, 03:38 PM   #76
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwolf View Post
This is really just getting better and better every time I check on your progress! That bridge looks so sweet but I got to admit it looks like a death drop if you or your radio glitches

This waiting around for the spring thaw here in Michigan, to get started on mine is gonna drive me insane! Man this is like torture...BUT yet, I just keep coming back for more...
haha yes it is like a death drop. only the brave and deep pocketed drves dare to climb it. itll be more sturdy once i add those posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX10wannabe View Post
haha looks a little better... went outside for a few mins and shovelled off the deck but then my lungs started hurting again so i came in.

rockwolf- ya its killing me too!!! damn snow!! i bought my honcho in november so i didnt really get a chance to scrape it on some rocks before the snow started falling... in fact its snowing right now... BOOOOO!!!!!!

guess i could make up some bungee's and take my flat irons apart and trim the foam....
yes the way i had it was just bumpy. lol that sucks, you will have a lot of fun bulding the course. taking wheels apart is always time consuming and keeps ya busy when your bored or anxious, have fun
Old 02-03-2011, 04:30 PM   #77
Quarry Creeper

Hmmmmm, my trucks not broken as of this minute........ need a truck to test it out? really looking great and kudos for all the effort gone into this so far. I envy all the space you have available to do this. I wish i had that much to play with in my own yard. I've been allocated a strip apprx. 6'x14" so, i foresee maybe a 3 tiered setup coming eventually. subscribed to this though and looking fun so far!
08sv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:52 PM   #78
Quarry Creeper

haha it should be fixed by the weekend if not monday. im gonna have another gtg sometime, maybe try for the end of this month.
yea that 6x14 area isnt that much to play with, will def, need a multi layered course.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:06 PM   #79
Quarry Creeper

yeah i know , but i figure if i really sit back and evaluate the delagated space (with bottle of turkey in hand) i could come up with something to keep me pacified for "at home" truckin. i really wanna try out your course and am off in march for vacation. don't know if rig will be up since i only have one(until i sell my Heli stuff). But, you got a kick a$$ setup going on and lookin really diverse and challenging!!
You get stuff from new red? Only been once , but was stoked at how much crawler/scale crap lines their walls!!they have had the most parts for my truck on their walls than any other place i've been in so far(not a AD plug-in either).

Last edited by 08sv; 02-03-2011 at 05:08 PM.
08sv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:27 PM   #80
Quarry Creeper

lol turkey, i drank a bottle in germany and all i can say is never again. im sure you could come up with something good just for messing around. well keep your schedule open and come by in march. i dont have much of a schedule to keep. thanks man, its just growing as i get more ideas an as time goes on. nahh i dont get anything from there, only been there once in december for the comp they had, its over an hour from here so buying online is much easier for me. i know my lhs is geared towards racing/planes/helis and not so much crawling. they kinda smirked at me when i asked for an ax10 part a while ago. not too many crawlers in my area.