View Poll Results: Best Bang for the Buck
Mini 36 64.29%
Micro 20 35.71%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Mini or Micro???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2011, 02:28 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Sure, the micro is not gonna "crawl" anything compared to to dailed in 1.9 rig.(mini)
OF COURSE NOT. I was saying it wouldnt even get over the simpliest things. yes, it may be better aimed for someone who has to sit at their desk all day, but it still will not crawl. as i mentioned, my friend has it, and it will not even crawl over the simplist things.

For me the Micro lets me piss around w/something on the desk & gets my mind on something else for 10-15 minutes at a time through-out the day.
Yea, you can do that but you can also get a mini or a 1/10 running in your work space on the floor and crawl more things. look at this youtube vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ8ACtElGzQ
MRCCRAWLER1.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2011, 05:51 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Bought a BND Mini about a year ago. Saw what it would take to make it even remotely competitive, and immediately sold it (gave it away, actually) as a money pit!

About 3 months ago I bought the Mini Pro Roller. Now this is an entirely different beast! I put a few bucks into it, although in reality, the only real thing that should be done to be competitive out of the box is the Losi shock outboarding kit for the lower mounts, and moving the upper links body side to outside the chassis. $7 for the shock kit.

You'll want to do more than that....at least add wheel weights (with the new real beadlocks!), but that's about all that would be "required" to be remotely competitive. You won't likely win with that base config, but if you have any skill, you should be able to properly represent yourself.

Micro.....never had one. Never saw a need for one. Never had a desire for one. I'd rather get a 1/24th Losi Rally for indoor use than a Micro. IMHO, YMMV, etc.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 05:57 PM   #23
Pebble Pounder

i would say that you have to spend money on both of these to get the to a great crawling standard so if you had a micro then you have that $130 more to spend on it :P
and i have a micro lol
ben'smicrocrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 06:54 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Not sure what all the hub bub is about, everyone has their preferences. Some like them some don't, myself I like the micro and enjoy using and modifying it.

But you also need to remember why people buy the micros, generally it is something to use indoors during the colder months or if you have limited space in general. Box stock sure they are not the most capable crawler but they can be fun to dink around with, not like they cost a small fortune. Just don't get one and hope to make a competition grade crawler out of it, it isn't what they were made for. Don't get me wrong though, if you want to put the time and money into a micro they can be very capable little machines and a joy to use.
dockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 06:56 PM   #25
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockman View Post
But you also need to remember why people buy the micros, generally it is something to use indoors during the colder months or if you have limited space in general.
you can crawl more things indoor with a mini. esp the couch.

but yea, i agree its more preference. Also i think its where your going to crawl more so.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:05 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

Ionno, mines pretty wicked on an indoor course, pretty comp worthy IMO.
Not like it cost a fortune either.
BND $75
Atomic BB2 $20 - you dont really need this i just wanted to try it.
Modded tires $13 - made mine for free out of spares in my box
2s lipo $4
DBR Bug $12
Hitec 65 (karbonite gears) $20 - stock works fine with glued saver, again just wanted to try this servo.
Micro t spring set for droop setup $5

Thats $109 without the motor and servo.
$149 with ball bearing motor and hitec servo. (i paid that for my first RTR when they came out)

Pretty cheap for a winter time comp rig if i say so, since the micro comp scene is getting bigger around here.

ScalerLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:55 PM   #27
rik
RCC Addict

they are both cool rigs and both will need upgrades. though, if the thought of comp'ing comes to mind you are better off with the mini. then you can run the 1.9 class. there is no official micro class. though, i bet there are clubs out there who have micro comps. i personally dont have a mini. i do have a 2.2 comp rig, a super class rig, a 2.2 scaler, a 1.9 scaler, and a micro. i enjoy my micro just as much as any of my other rigs. they are what you make them....

but then again, different strokes for different folks
rik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:48 PM   #28

So far I only own a micro and I love it. Living in Michigan and in an apartment its perfect to play around with.
haratank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:40 PM   #29
RCC Addict

eh i was being to much of a dick earlier.

to be fair. this is how i would really buy the 2.

Consider these things, if you have more yess between the kit, than thats the kit to go with
Mini:
-will you be wanting to comp?
-will you be willing to spend about $100-200 more from stock?
-where will you be crawling? outdoors and indoors?
-will you be willing to put a lot of time in the beginning?
-do you like a wide aftermarket?
-would you upgrade parts? (like to aluminum)

Micro:
-are you going to be crawling indoors?
-will it be a desk crawler, or something to past buy time when its raining or snowing?
-are you able to live with almost no aftermarket? (compared to the mini)
-are you on a tight budget?
-do you just want to get up and crawling box stock?
Old 01-23-2011, 01:18 AM   #30
Rock Stacker

I say get the mini, glad I didn't make the mistake of buying the micro(for my first rig), I think the pro roller is over rated, where I started out the box

To where I am now, still have a ways to go
either way hope you enjoy which ever you purchase.
bizzyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:42 AM   #31
Quarry Creeper

I ended up buying the micro. I have lots of model cars I never finished so I plan out splicing it with one of the pickups or going and finding something just a tad bigger than 1/24. I'll have to see once it arrives. Just going to be something to keep me from loosing my mind in the winter months or when I'm stuck in the house. I don't expect it to be as capable as either of my scx-10s, just something to have some fun with.
maxxa87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:45 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

I never saw a reason to buy a Mini I already had a 2.2. Our Sunday comps include both Minis and 2.2s the Minis had a big following to start with but have fallen off dramatically just as expensive as a 2.2 and not worth it. I even think watching their comps are boring I'd get a 2.2 and if you already have a 2.2 spend your money on that.

Micros are in a different world all together and a with a few inexpensive mods crawl pretty decent and fun to fool around with, I keep mine in the truck and I'm always finding opportunities to enjoy a pack or two.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:09 PM   #33
Rock Stacker

I'm glad my club doesn't hold micro comps that would be ultra boring, for fun a micro is fine, couldn't see myself getting all serious with a micro. Then again that's what I said about the mini.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:03 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

To say a micro can not crawl this simplest things is simply not true (except in stock form of course). I have a few micro's and never drive them on my desk. One factor most people neglect to look at is the fact that a vast majority of crawler guys do not have a mountain range out back to really push capable 1.9 and 2.2 crawlers. That said, most of us have parks or streams within short driving distance that can offer tons of challenging lines that offer great fun. Am I saying my micro is as fun as my mini, not necessarily, but the fact is, I dont have anything close to me without driving across town to a comp spot to really push the mini...yet the rocks in the pics below offer a TON of challenges, and are located just a mile or so down the road from the shop.

Micro's are doing something right regardless of anti-micro opinions...we sell tons of micro products every week, and we ship more micro parts than anything else, week by week (many to repeat customers).

Anyway, Micro/Mini, really its all up to you. If you are tight on space/time/crawling locations/funds, that combination makes a micro a potentially good option for you.

Everyone has different tastes/needs...I just like them all in their own way. The micro line have proven their value well with some of our service men stationed in the worst places on earth. They are small enough to not take up any real space, but provide hours of fun and a break from the hassles that their days may bring them (both tuning and crawling wise).

BW

Pics below are non-poser shots...all were driven into and out of.
Attached Images

Last edited by billet works; 01-23-2011 at 02:05 PM.
billet works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:15 PM   #35
RCC Addict

I have drove both but Stormins modded micro was hands down the winner in my book. The worm gears are a huge plus and aftermarket support is out there and won't cost you 2.2 money like the mini can. I wish I could afford a new rig because that would be it.
djjiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:57 PM   #36
Rock Stacker

These aren't that cheap to build up, compared to a 2.2 yes they are, but a rtr micro is 100 bucks, then with a new chassis, beadlocks, servo, tires, and few other things looks like it can get to over 200 easy. Alot to spend for something so small. But to each their own. Im intrigued by the fully built ones I've seen on here, just can't justify spending another 150 to get it where I would want it.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:59 PM   #37
Rock Crawler

i like both but the mirco has more home made courses cause of the space i have..lol and the ole lady.
2manyprojects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:06 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyprojects View Post
i like both but the mirco has more home made courses cause of the space i have..lol and the ole lady.
lol some times my ole lady becomes a course
haratank is offline   Reply With Quote