Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Limited info found but really wanting to tackle this worminator gearing issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2011, 04:19 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Limited info found but really wanting to tackle this worminator gearing issue

ok, so as far as 1:1 goes my experience lies in VDub transaxles(street ratios). like so http://www.scirocco.org/gears/ which is totally different english than 4wd stuff.
but i am totally lost now in the world of 40:1-70:1 in r/c's. Yes, i've used the search function and Google before posting.
Here's what i'm looking @. Base is a scx10, now i am not a 1:1 crawler or off road guy my 1:1 is a dropped hardbody, but after gettin into this i'm interested in applying 1/10 to scale application.
anywayz, here's the deal I really like the worminators by rc4wd and would like to tackle the gearing issues. Now in my uninformed mind it seems like tons of potential in this approach. but yet they seemed like a flop. So, i got a 1:1 Xfer case but now it looks like that was a mistake, as the limited search results looks like this is not needed and the r2 tranny is the way to go???. but i want to make these work but do not really have an understanding of how each gear works.I'm stupid(to a point) i understand that with certain specific gearing what it means but when it comes to the aspects of spur and reductions i get lost.
So, from my research there are currently only 2 gearing options 40:1 and 25:1 on axle. and @ 40:1 ppl were complaining about no wheel speed, yet in here is see ppl recommending 40:1-70:1 ratios. i don't understand this complaint about wheel speed if this is in the bottom (highest speed less torque i think i got that right).
here's what i am tryin to accomplish (with or w/o 1:1 xfer case)
MM pro (i think most sense for this application?), crawling torque combined with some nice wheel speed for those times when "if in doubt gas it out", so with a "fixed ring and pinion(i'm assuming that is what these axles are basically), how does one go about changing gear ratios?
should i make a slider plate for the motor and transfer/tranny to be able to adapt huge amounts of different gear size combo's until i get it right or should i look into a gear reduction unit?
Look i'm not looking for effiency, just how to go about make this feasible.

Last edited by 08sv; 01-31-2011 at 04:28 PM.
08sv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2011, 10:52 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

The real issue in regearing a "worminator" is that you need to vary the placement of the worm gear to the spur gear.

In a typical RC application, the motor shaft & axle shaft are parralell, when you regear, there are slots for the motor so you can slide it closer or further from the axle to get the gear mesh.

In your case, if you increase or decrease the spur gear count (which will also change the spur gear diameter), you need to be able to adjust the gear mesh. The axles are NOT really set up to do that. This is where you run into an issue.
Fix that issue, and you can regear to your hearts content.

Hopefully this answers your question, if not, post back.

PS, I don't know if the spur gears are straight cut (like most other RC gears) or helical. If helical, I doubt there is a lot of call for various tooth counts, so that is also an issue.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:45 PM   #3

With the worm drive you have to basically say that the worm is a fixed ratio and can't be changed. (At least not easily) What you can change is the speed going into the worm drive through a transmission. So say your worm drive is 25:1 and you are shooting for a final of 50:1 you would need a 2:1 gearing on the transmission. It's fairly easy to change the gears on a transmission to get your desired wheel speed. I'd take a look at the Losi Comp Crawler section and get some of their input due to the worm drive on them.
Powdersummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:31 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

ok, i get most of it but what i really can't grasp why there is a probleem with them is (if i am correct), a stock scx10 has a final of like 43.7:1 and if a worm setup is done as a 1:1 with 40:1 worms then the final is 40:1 right? if that is correct then i shouldn't really see much difference between the 2 setups. BUT, here again , i have seen a lot of recommendations here where ppl give the good range for crawling/trail to be between 40:1 - 70:1 yet i have seen complaints about the 40:1 worms not having any wheel speed and then they use 25:1 and lose all crawl torque.. So am i really missing something big here? Is it the way it's gone about to get to the final ratio that's the issue?
Old 02-02-2011, 11:02 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I have ran the worminators successfully.
25:1 is the same ratio as stock Losi Comp Crawler worms. I used 4s, a 21.5T sensored BL motor, and the LCC tranny. Drove just like my Losi stuff when I was done. The only difference was the RC4WD stuff was much burlier than the Losi gear. Huge visible difference in size between the two gear sets.
I also like that the RC4WD axle is an alloy instead of plastic. I suspect the plastic housings contribute to alot of worm failures by allowing deflection once stripped.
shelljeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:46 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Wooot, finally someone with some success! @ shelljeep, you mind sharing or recall what your final was? I've never ran a LCC so what kinda wheel speed did you have? Did you start with the 40:1's and then ended up switching to the 25:1's? How was your motor heat and your average run times?
Old 02-03-2011, 02:03 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Glad I can help you out.
My runtimes were average for the size battery I was running, 1000 mah battery would get me 20-30 minutes of pretty hard use. Motor would be around max temp at the end of a pack so it worked out well, didn't have to limit how I played due to temps getting out of hand.
I had enough wheelspeed to clear 8-10" gaps, plenty to shoot the walls I had set up at the time. I went straight for the 25:1 gearing, my rig was set up for it already since Losi runs the same ratio.
Looking for the tranny ratio for you now, I ran a 13T pinion.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:06 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Losi Tranny has a total reduction of 3.32:1
This link has alot of ratio info in it.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:56 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelljeep View Post
Losi Tranny has a total reduction of 3.32:1
This link has alot of ratio info in it.
thanx a lot, I really appreciate that!! I'll try not to bug ya too much but mind if I PM if a have a question or 2 later on down the line?