RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   General Crawlers (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-crawlers/)
-   -   CF upper 4 links? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-crawlers/296639-cf-upper-4-links.html)

08sv 01-31-2011 04:41 PM

CF upper 4 links?

so i've seen a lot of alum and delrin links being made but no CF. my thought was to make some CF uppers w/alum ends and make the lowers of alum. w/ steel ends. is there a prob w/ CF? does it weigh more or doesn't hold up as long?

gr33nlemon 01-31-2011 04:52 PM

The uppers on my bully are CF arrow shafts sleeved over 8-32 all thread with revo ends. Never had an issue with them. Lowers are steel brake line with the same ends. The only issue I can see with CF is that you can't have a bent link. Lowers in CF...I wouldn't do it. Once it starts to split, it's gonna keep going.

08sv 01-31-2011 05:04 PM

Of course i understand the splitting. just don't see anyone doing upper CF links is why i posted. I see so many running alum./delrin and i have a bit of CF lying around and it seemed like a good idea to make some uppers with it.

CPE MT 01-31-2011 05:10 PM

We use them all the time with our Clodbuster race chassis. They'll be fine for upper links, but will delaminate over rocks if used as lower links.

08sv 01-31-2011 05:20 PM

Sorry to sound newb, just see waaay too many pics of alum links so i began to wonder if CF wasn't a viable option for uppers. thanx.

killswitch 01-31-2011 06:17 PM

Aluminum and delrin links are typically easier to build than carbon fiber. Ive built all three types and it's a lot easier and faster for me to bust out a set of aluminum or delrin links than it is to do CF ones. CF links sure are trick though "thumbsup"

08sv 01-31-2011 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killswitch (Post 2898071)
Aluminum and delrin links are typically easier to build than carbon fiber. Ive built all three types and it's a lot easier and faster for me to bust out a set of aluminum or delrin links than it is to do CF ones. CF links sure are trick though "thumbsup"

HUH? Did you say something, sorry the cleavage was speakin louder than words."thumbsup"
Cool, ok so i'm off to find what ends i wanna use and make me some CF uppers. thnx every1!!

entropy 01-31-2011 06:59 PM

I for one am not a CF fan. Too much experience with it in its different forms, and have seen to many failures in too many ways.

canibalpenguin 02-01-2011 08:14 AM

I think for alot of people, they figure if they do alum or delrin for the lowers they might as well do the uppers too.

aaugman 02-01-2011 08:19 AM

I build carbon links, and have had 0 problems, and they are lighter than the aluminum or delrin links by A LOT.

The strength will come from what type of carbon, the insert and the glue to put the insert in,

Also the uppers aren't under nearly as much stress as the lowers, I've never even had an issue with the lowers.

The only problem with them is its had to have bends in them.