Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: de-lurking once again to ask about a silly way to make a roll cage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2011, 10:16 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default de-lurking once again to ask about a silly way to make a roll cage

firstly, no i have not forgotten about the project to make a 1984-6 Toyota truck body for the SCX10. It is backburnered for the moment but it is something i very much want to do.

So, this thread: I came up with a silly random idea for making a strong metal roll bar for a scaler: have it 3d printed in stainless steel. They can do that now apparently, and for 10 bucks per cubic CM, in high detail. yeah the price is steep but I know for a fact that learning to braise steel together would cost more in the long run and besides I've tried welding and don't like it. Also I'm getting better at the 3d rendering thing. It wouldn't make much sense to do this for production, rather it would be for me.

What gave me the idea was that over on the LR thread the scale rigs general tech forum, there were a few D90's that had home-made roll cages which appealed to me. One of the reasons I don't like making something like that with my hands is I'm not good at symmetry and/or getting the measurements right, which is why I am attracted to designing it on the computer: precision and symmetry are easy in CAD programs.

I'm just trying to get a fix on how nuts this idea is or isn't.

I'd happily 3d print RC car bodies in ABS if it weren't for the fact that the technology isn't good enough yet to print ABS without stepping.

The two printing services that seem to have attracted the most press are Ponoko and Shapeways. Their rates are almost identical but Ponoko is located in the US and Shapeways is in the Netherlands. Meanwhile there are prototyping services in every major city here in the US as far as I know.

So just how nuts/extravagant is it to 3d print a roll cage? What do you think?
spacephrawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2011, 08:04 AM   #2

I think as long as the price isn't completely insane it's a great idea. You could make some very interesting designs that would not be possible to make if you were to try it by hand.
canibalpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:56 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I think it would be great. But like he said as long as the price isn't too crazy. You could come up with some great designs. I would love to see a pic and price if you decide to go for it.
Goatsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:45 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I would be curious of the strength of the cage made that way.
Most of the rapid prototyping I have seen (in the past) is good to hold a part in your hand, maybe fit it together, but not to actually use it.

Maybe you should ask one of your potential vendors on what they think about your idea. Maybe even ask if they have a small sample part you could beat on a bit.

I like the idea, I just have some questions on the durability.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:26 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacephrawg View Post
yeah the price is steep but I know for a fact that learning to braise steel together would cost more in the long run and besides I've tried welding and don't like it.
You know you can buy a torch, safty silv with flux, a set of magnets and a couple other things you may need for less than $100 right? Brazing is really easy and cheap.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:44 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana mudcat View Post
You know you can buy a torch, safty silv with flux, a set of magnets and a couple other things you may need for less than $100 right? Brazing is really easy and cheap.

X2
ped453 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3d printing, cad, roll cage, scale, scaler