Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Axial Yeti kit vs Los Rock Rey kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2017, 02:29 PM   #1

Default Axial Yeti kit vs Los Rock Rey kit

Hey guys, I am planning to get one of these two rock racers. I was thinking of the rock rey because they are coming out with a kit version. What do you think? Also, is it hard to switch either bodies to the TT version on both?
Dawson4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2017, 03:31 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Axial Yeti kit vs Los Rock Rey kit

You'll need to say more about why you would want either one of them. Scale appearance? Speed and handling? Jumping? Crawling? Parts availability/reliability?
DavidH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 04:00 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Chevy Ford. What do you like? They both are fairly equal. There is more upgrades and options from manufacturer and 3rd party for the Yeti.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Ctrain57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 04:17 PM   #4
RCC Addict

In my humble opinion, ( based on Personal preference and subjective view ) Rock Rey kit a bit more advance in engineering design, and maybe more reliable than Axial Yeti and ? But I could be wrong
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 05:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teng View Post
In my humble opinion, ( based on Personal preference and subjective view ) Rock Rey kit a bit more advance in engineering design, and maybe more reliable than Axial Yeti and ? But I could be wrong
That is how I feel with the RR. The only thing is with parts availability and body choice. Hopefully, Proline will make a body for both the Baja Rey and the Rock Rey.
Old 10-28-2017, 08:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
You'll need to say more about why you would want either one of them. Scale appearance? Speed and handling? Jumping? Crawling? Parts availability/reliability?
Pretty much all of the above. I would like scale appearance, pretty good speed and handling, some decent jumps and a bit of crawling but more trailing
Old 10-29-2017, 01:48 PM   #7

They are probably so close in performance you'd be happy with either. I have a Yeti that I love. The only "must have" upgrades for the Yeti IMO are a steering bellcrank kit to take the slop out of it, and metal wheels.
jester_s1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 02:10 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teng View Post
I am not sure how you might measure engineering design. The RRey may be more recent, but I don't think it is free of its new design teething problems.

If engineering/design was my primary criteria, I'd look to a Losi SCBE or Tekno SCT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawson4 View Post
Pretty much all of the above. I would like scale appearance, pretty good speed and handling, some decent jumps and a bit of crawling but more trailing
The solid rear axle does get you that scale appearance, but I have been down many threads where people are attempting to fix the nose-dive that these trucks typically do off of jumps. It may be that, particularly with the yeti score, its resemblance to a (ifs/irs) short course truck leads some to believe it should handle and jump like a short course truck.

While still top-heavy compared to an SCT, the RRey carries its weight lower than the yeti, and its solid rear axle puts it at further disadvantage to the tekno and SCBE for handling and jumping.

On the trails and rocks the yeti has the advantage of the 2-speed transmission; a sensored esc-motor combo can help (particularly in the case of the rrey that lacks this option), but is not a substitute for proper gearing.

I have to say that the 2-speed in combination with the new Castle Mamba X esc 2.2 firmware is a real treat to drive, where you can toggle the drag brake and low gear together with the same radio channel.

I suggest a read-through of some of the facebook pages on both of these vehicles, to see what people are doing with them, and the problems they are encountering.
DavidH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 12:45 PM   #9

I've got a Rock Rey and have no experience with the Yeti, so take this for what it's worth.

I very much like the RR and have over 2.5x the cost of the kit in upgrades/modifications. (The kit version would have saved me a decent bit of money since I've replaced all the electronics and added the aluminum pieces that come standard with the kit)

The only weak link I've found with the RR are the front driveshaft sliders, HOWEVER that is also likely due to the fact that I'm running the front and center diff locked with a Mamba X and 3800Kv motor. As well as my "Southern Rock Racing Series rock bouncer style" driving.

My biggest gripe about the RR is how much time it takes to get the cage off to work on the thing. It is irritating to no end to have to spend 20 minutes taking 9000 screws out just to "get under the hood". Data logging or adjusting settings on the Mamba X? not unless you've got 30-45 minutes. Want to check your bellcrank or make sure your servo horn is on tight? Better set aside a good half an hour. You want to lock the front diff? You'd better have at least 1.5-2 hours.

At this point I've done it some many times that I can do it in about 1/2 the time it used to take me. This is largely because I don't have to keep up with the different size screws anymore as by now I know where they all go just by looking at them and I got a MIP speed tip set.
Boosted Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 01:06 PM   #10

Axial Yeti - lots of aftermarket upgrades and you will need to spend a ton to get it to be durable.

Losi Rock Rey - aftermarket parts are much less common, but it doesn't need many upgrades to make it durable.

That's the best and simplest description I can give you. My vote is Losi.

If you get an Axial get the Bomber kit or look elsewhere. That, of course, does not have independent from suspension.

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 10-31-2017 at 01:08 PM.
JatoTheRipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 02:00 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Rock rey for sure.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 03:50 PM   #12

Would it be hard to convert the rock Rey to a Baja Rey or visa versa
Old 11-09-2017, 04:49 PM   #13

The BR and RR use different rear cages and front shock tower is different the main cage and roof are the same. I don't have a yeti TT. My 2cents will go for LOSI over yeti. Losi has a ton more steering than the axial stuff. The RR doesn't have the aftermarket that axial does, but as stated before it doesn't really need anything. if you venture into the 4s realm or a heavy hitting 3s power system it suffers from small bearings in the axle and bulkhead just like yeti. The other downside is rey parts are expensive for replacement stuff, front sliders with U joints will cost you anywhere from 40 to 50 bucks depending where you shop. The losi trailing arms are more durable than axial even with the axial aluminum braces. losi uses mod 1 gears and in my opinion are easier to do gear changes on. My motor mount assembly on the yeti was less than durable and required an upgrade fairly quickly. My only real complaint with my rey is the rear cage seems like an after thought its not as astatically pleasing as axail. Also working on the rey is a nightmare compared to yeti. Youre looking at an hour to get the front diff case out of, the center diff is also pretty tedious to get out. If going for trailing crawling youre gonna have to lock the center it will diff out and leave you with one wheel drive.
lastly you wont bend a hinge pin on losi and you really have to be trying to break it. Unlike my yeti use to go through a hinge pin an outing prior to putting strong arms on it. The aluminum pan on the losi could be seen as plus, ive never broken the pan on my yeti so take that for what its worth, the tires are decent on the rey, My yeti was rtr so the tires were pretty hard.
jumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 09:27 PM   #14

I am definitely going with Losi. I wonder if I could put an upper a-arm on the RR like the BR?
Old 11-11-2017, 09:47 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Why?

But no you can't.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 01:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
Why?

But no you can't.
Just wondering.

Axial Yeti kit vs Los Rock Rey kit - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rock Rey kit Yeti.stealth Losi Rock Rey 32 04-02-2018 06:06 PM
New Rock Rey Kit! hozzerr1 Losi Rock Rey 8 01-16-2018 04:56 PM
New Losi Rock Rey Kit - Pre-order Yours Today! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 10-12-2017 02:30 PM
Axial Yeti XL Kit - My first kit build vashan Axial Yeti XL 19 09-01-2015 04:46 PM