Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Scoring Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2011, 09:55 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Scoring Software

Hey Everyone,

Wondering if anyone out there running events and/or judging is using a computer to keep score?

I know most people use pen and paper but I have been using a computer for the past year+, I wanted to know if anyone else is doing this. The software I have runs inside excel and works pretty good. I have been getting the bugs out for a while now.
BC-Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2011, 10:01 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

need an app made for android
squish72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:06 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Default Thinking about it

I have thought about it. I use a windows tablet. A phone is not big enough but something like the samsung tablet would work.

Currently looks something like this.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:48 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I think that an Excel spreadsheet on an Android phone or tablet would be great for capturing the data and doing the math, but I am not so certain that it is the best idea for on the rocks. We hear about people every year losing their footing on the rocks, and getting injured. It is easy enough to drop a card and a pen, but people often will not drop an electronic device....even if not dropping it increases the risk to themselves.

I think that a "blended" approach may work best. Have the judges capture the data on a card. But then transfer the data into the application off the rocks. A clean interface on an Android phone (with a good screen size like the Droid X) would be plenty to capture the data.....or even just a good spreadsheet in QuickOffice (Excel Compatible) would be a good solution.

I just have a little hesitation about seeing a judge looking at a screen of a tablet while trying to navigate the rocks. Last winter the old lady across the street needed help with her DSL modem....so I grabbed my netbook and went to walk across the snow covered street. I fell HARD. Smacked my head on the street...knocked myself out. When I came to, I was still holding my netbook. I never let it hit the ground.....probably at the cost of smacking my head. I had a grade 2 concussion. It could have been a lot worse, but it just goes to show that instinctually, many people will protect the technology over their own well being.

Just my thought on the topic.
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:29 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Something like a smart phone isn't that big, so it might even make it easier to catch yourself in a fall than with a clipboard.

It would be nice to have an instant tally on points.
GRIMGREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:15 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by squish72 View Post
need an app made for android
I made an app for Android and the iPhone (I'll get it working on the iPad this week or next if anyone wants it). If you want it for Android you can download it at http://radiocontrolledrockcrawling.com. You just have to have unkown sources checked in the options since it's not from the Market. As far as the iOS version, I wasn't sure anyone wanted such a thing so I haven't put it up in the App Store (it'll be free).
PHiSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:21 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

why not use a lap top at comp's with the excel sheet to enter scores into it to get final days scores, but use pen/paper to collect the data from each gate/course while on the rocks....every comp some body has a lap top with them ....this way the math is taken away from the human element for error....judges just need to make sure they entered the right amount of X's to each gate/course score boxes for each reverse, roll over and such, plus this will eliminate the math needed at each course for the judges and move people through the courses faster too, tell me that's not a big plus .........bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:24 AM   #8
RCC Addict

I'm currently designing an internet based web system for logging of scores and point standings.
articzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:39 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Default Scoreing

The tablet i use works awesome. We typically have 2 designated judges at all times. One judge is always watching the truck and calling out penalties and progress, while I have the scoring system and act as the second judge. We make the calls as we see them and for the brief moment it takes to record a penalty or progress the other judge has it covered. This also helps to keep the guy with computer in a safe spot if there are some dangerous rocks.

Our competitors love it because we are able to give them scores and standings immediately.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:30 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I know that Jim (Blue10) has created some pretty nice software that he used at the Copperstate Crawloff recently and it worked quite well!

http://www.progressten.com/Results/1
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:34 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Default That is pretty sharp

That is pretty nice looking,

We wind up with something like this.

Boston Crawlers Winter Series Event #4 Results, Feb 19th
Old 02-24-2011, 11:46 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHiSH View Post
I made an app for Android and the iPhone (I'll get it working on the iPad this week or next if anyone wants it). If you want it for Android you can download it at http://radiocontrolledrockcrawling.com. You just have to have unkown sources checked in the options since it's not from the Market. As far as the iOS version, I wasn't sure anyone wanted such a thing so I haven't put it up in the App Store (it'll be free).

I downloaded this app ill let ya know some feedback when i use it
scatterbrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:00 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHiSH View Post

Looks like a great 1st draft.

- Currently the app adds - Progress points and + penalties points at same time, so the 40 Point cutoff is incorrect. Progress points should be added at the end.
- The + Buttons should be a bit bigger, and the - in a differant location or smaller. I foresee it being easy to hit the wrong button and subtract points vs add points.
- A timer feature would be nice. To really hit a home run a spoken timer like Ultrachron would be great. .
-My personal opinion would be to remove the photo in the background to make a clear appearance.
-I could see a issue with people asking about points on a certain gate. "I did not hit 2 gates, which 2" there should be a way to review the gate number the points were accrued on.

I will give it some more thought, but I hope that helps a bit.
I may be only speaking for myself, but I would also pay for a feature rich App. that included the features above and import/export, and historical tracking per event.
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:38 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatterbrains View Post
I downloaded this app ill let ya know some feedback when i use it
Thanks. I really appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon View Post
Looks like a great 1st draft.

- Currently the app adds - Progress points and + penalties points at same time, so the 40 Point cutoff is incorrect. Progress points should be added at the end.
I struggled with this part because there's really no end as far as the device is concerned (unless it reaches the max points)... Just more of a running total. I guess I could put a check mark for ending and total everything up then for now? The timer will make that more defined. I'll try something tonight to get it working correctly.

Quote:
- The + Buttons should be a bit bigger, and the - in a differant location or smaller. I foresee it being easy to hit the wrong button and subtract points vs add points.
I'll try and make the plus and minus buttons different sizes. My problem with this is the multitude of android devices (specifically the older ones). My wife had the original MyTouch at the time and I tried to spread it out more but it moved certain parts off the screen. I don't want to have to scroll to get around that screen. I'll change it up a bit and see if that helps.

Quote:
- A timer feature would be nice. To really hit a home run a spoken timer like Ultrachron would be great. .
I'm adding a timer as we speak. Another problem I'm running into is screen real estate (again, on the lower end and older small screen devices). As far as the Ultrachron text to speech, I can try, but you'll have to give me a bit as I've never done anything like that before

Quote:
-My personal opinion would be to remove the photo in the background to make a clear appearance.
I may make it an option to remove the background or just take it out all together. It was more a personal preference for me because I didn't want it to look too boring.

Quote:
-I could see a issue with people asking about points on a certain gate. "I did not hit 2 gates, which 2" there should be a way to review the gate number the points were accrued on.
I can add something like that but it'd probably be in a summary popup at the end to save screen space.

Quote:
I will give it some more thought, but I hope that helps a bit.
I may be only speaking for myself, but I would also pay for a feature rich App. that included the features above and import/export, and historical tracking per event.
It REALLY helps, thank you! Like I said, I made it for myself so hearing what other people want is way better. I can add import/export/save. I made a whole different version that let you keep track of entire comps but I didn't finish it because I wanted to use it and stop programming (laziness was part of it too). This was originally supposed to be the "Lite" version with the full version having full comp usability with usernames, upload ability, and, eventually, geotagging for comp sites. I know this wasn't directed at just me, but as far as money is concerned, I'd rather see people use the app than have someone pay money for it.

Last edited by PHiSH; 02-24-2011 at 01:13 PM. Reason: yes
PHiSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:09 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

I'm stoked
squish72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:02 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Try Changing the progress to -2

Edit
Never mind I guess reading would be helpful

Last edited by paintballer9876; 02-25-2011 at 11:08 AM.
paintballer9876 is offline   Reply With Quote