RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   General Crawlers (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-crawlers/)
-   -   Losi Trail Trekker Review (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-crawlers/304864-losi-trail-trekker-review.html)

StevieGirl 03-10-2011 11:13 PM

Losi Trail Trekker Review

Hey guys newbie to the forum, but work with me here. just bought the Losi Trail Trekker from my LHS. First crawler I have ever owned.

Looks 1112948712309847230x better than the old one.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...310_212747.jpg

I'm kind of curious about this though, did the originals only have this much travel? this is max travel while keeping three wheels on the ground. Any input is appreciated :wink:

Springs are way better this time around though, allows for actual articulation!:)

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...310_213015.jpg

width shot:

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...310_213057.jpg

length:

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...310_212910.jpg

well, what do you guys think? Worth the buy or no?

J.DUKE 03-10-2011 11:26 PM

Looks good. When the axles flex more than about a tire height, that may look cool, but can be unstable/unpredictable. It looks like the trail trekker has about the right amount for stable crawling. Plus any micro will have exaggerated symptoms because its so tiny. The longer wheelbase should help too.

It looks good. Get it on the rocks!

TURTLE 03-10-2011 11:28 PM

I think its a good buy.

The articulation is fine, if anything for a scale truck it could have a little less.

I had the Micro Crawler as well as this, and to me this is a much more fun vehicle for a few reasons.

1.) It looks way better.
2.) The extra width and wheel base makes this set up much more stable then the micro crawler.
3.) The tires are actually really sticky and look good, with the addition of a little weight I think they will hook up really well.
4.) The extra 40 mah you get with this truck actually adds quite a bit to the run time vs. the 180 mah pack that came with the MC.

Have fun with it, its a fun little truck."thumbsup"

StevieGirl 03-11-2011 12:01 AM

yeah the tires could double up as glue if they got any stickier. I already went ahead and bought a lipo too. I'm really surprised it ran this well out of the box, I think Losi really went above and beyond with this little guy. I cant wait to see what the aftermarket will look like for them!

vipxj 03-11-2011 02:59 AM

Thanks for the pictures,it looks good, ive ordered 3,and there meant too be here mid next week . Cant wait.

1's for me,1 for my 15yr old son,and the other for my 3yr son. Too add to my collection.

Dillpickle 03-11-2011 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vipxj (Post 2979403)
Thanks for the pictures,it looks good, ive ordered 3,and there meant too be here mid next week . Cant wait.

1's for me,1 for my 15yr old son,and the other for my 3yr son. Too add to my collection.

I bet it takes forever to get your package in new zealand?

vipxj 03-11-2011 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillpickle (Post 2979433)
I bet it takes forever to get your package in new zealand?

You;ll be surprised,ive got stuff from horizon before,and its taken3 or 4 days,so not bad for shipping across the world.

StevieGirl 03-12-2011 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vipxj (Post 2979403)

Cool stuff! You won't be disappointed with your purchase.

I just showed my girlfriends bother it and he's starting to catch the rc bug again :)

However, I'm getting a weird servo issue and I'm not sure whether its the losi controller or my actual servo, but when I do a full turn it will sometimes wiggle back and forth. It doesn't happen if I slowly turn it all the way but if I turn it fast the servo starts to twitch back and forth. I will go back to the hobby place and bind it to a nicer transmitter and see if that solves it. Anybody else have some input on that?

Thanks, Steviegirl

vipxj 03-13-2011 10:23 AM

Bugger on the servo playing up,but sure you'll get it sorted.

So does it crawl ok,and the tires,any good?

Del Monte 03-13-2011 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StevieGirl (Post 2979275)

I'm kind of curious about this though, did the originals only have this much travel? this is max travel while keeping three wheels on the ground. Any input is appreciated :wink:

Thanks for the compliments on the new truck "thumbsup"

If you look closely at the shocks, there is a small limiter on each shock shaft. We had these limiters installed to keep the tires from rubbing on the body as much at full flex. The limiters actually make the truck a lot more stable on the rocks as well.

If you're going for all-out suspension travel, you could remove the limiters and get quite a bit more flex.

StevieGirl 03-13-2011 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Del Monte (Post 2982927)
Thanks for the compliments on the new truck "thumbsup"

If you look closely at the shocks, there is a small limiter on each shock shaft. We had these limiters installed to keep the tires from rubbing on the body as much at full flex. The limiters actually make the truck a lot more stable on the rocks as well.

If you're going for all-out suspension travel, you could remove the limiters and get quite a bit more flex.

Thank you for the info Del! Keep up the good work!

oh uh... how should i go about removing the limiters? I dont see any way to take them out other than to cut them, which I'm ok with doing if need be but I'm sure that if they slipped on they will slip off too...

StevieGirl 03-13-2011 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vipxj (Post 2982915)
Bugger on the servo playing up,but sure you'll get it sorted.

So does it crawl ok,and the tires,any good?

It crawls wayyyy better than the micro crawler out of the box. There is no need to cut or remove the springs like in that one too. The tires could double up as glue, I have a video of it climbing up roughly a 60 degree angle on my phone. I think it is well worth the extra 30 bucks. I hope to get a few videos of it up soon, one before I modify it and one after.

I'll keep y'all posted!

StevieGirl 03-13-2011 10:10 PM

Ok so I figured out how to do it myself.

I just took out the screw on the top part of the shock and removed the spring, then moved it in between the links to is was exposed and carefully cut the plastic spacer off using a set of wire cutters (ghetto I know:flipoff:)
then used A small metal rod to hold the spring compressed till I got the bolt in.

I have about another 3/4 inch of travel, here's before and after pics:

Before:https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&i...f_gl8vazlf0&zw

after:
https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&i...f_gl8vipit0&zw

jhghah 03-13-2011 10:25 PM

Forget the pics. Post the vids. :mrgreen:

StevieGirl 03-16-2011 01:07 AM

Hey Y'all.

I apologize for not having a video up yet, I'm waiting for this god forsaken rain to end!:cry:

In the mean time however, I am looking at putting a new body on this thing. Anybody know of anything that will fit? or anything that was just a little too long for the original? I've got a 4 7/8 wheel base (center to center) and I dont mind having to cut out the wheel wells to fit the tires.

Thanks,
Steve

canadianbacon 03-16-2011 08:29 AM

I'm pretty sure most static model bodies will fit, as they are 1:24, 1:25th scale.

vipxj 03-16-2011 10:57 AM

I got ours yesterday,pretty cool too, and crawl fairly good straight out of the box.

StevieGirl,any 1:24 body should be able tobe made to fit, the likes of plastic kitsets etc,check out your local hobby shop.
Im just guna mod the stock body on mine for now,trim the guards, lower the body,and repaint it.

StevieGirl 03-21-2011 11:45 PM

UPDATE:

I am still having some servo issues. when I turn the wheels fast they tend to want to start moving back and forth slightly, like I'm wiggling the steering wheel. It is not severe enough to affect performance, however, it is getting annoying. anybody have an idea as to what that is about?

also in regards to the body, the wheelbase on this one is longer than the original crawler, so I am hunting for a body that is slightly too long for an original.

I apologize for taking so long to put a video up, it's been crazy ass weather here! I am hoping this rain stops in the next few days to a get take this thing outside...

getbent 03-22-2011 03:14 AM

The servo's gone bad. I replaced the one on my micro crawler with an hs-55 . It works great, and cheap too, you just have to drill new holes in the servo's mounting ears, but it's super easy to do."thumbsup"

StevieGirl 03-22-2011 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by getbent (Post 2999805)
The servo's gone bad. I replaced the one on my micro crawler with an hs-55 . It works great, and cheap too, you just have to drill new holes in the servo's mounting ears, but it's super easy to do."thumbsup"

Oh ok. Thanks for letting me know! I was reading up last night and it seems like most people have had that issue as well. I will drive it till it breaks I suppose, I can't afford a new servo yet with a 12 mpg 1:1 scale :roll: