Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: torque stall?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2011, 06:53 PM   #1

Default torque stall?

Ok so I went to my hobby shop and they have a crawler course in the back. I put my truck on the crawler course and it would go ok but if the wheel went into a deep hole or was wedged against something, the truck would just try to move but it would quit, so I would have to pick it up and set it back on a flatter area. After doing this I could smell something burning from the motor and it was extremly hot to the touch. I took the motor out and replaced it with a spare 55T motor and it still did the same thing. What's wrong? Is it my esc?
bignick3674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2011, 06:58 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

First, what crawler do you have. Since it sounds like its a shafty. Likely causes of stalling a motor out is insufficient battery amperage, geared too high, or just plain crappy motors. All of these things will stall a truck out when bound up in a hole.

Post up some specs of your rig and it will be easier to tell what is going on.
jcboof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:02 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

i have the same problem i think it is that the tire/s are geting weged tobether and so they cant spin if you keep trying to go the motor starts to smoke and if you still keep on it the motor will fry try hitting it at an angle and it will be ok if it still does it somthing is probibly wrong.

my ax-10 kit is running 14tooth pin and a 45 or 55t

Last edited by 86zuk; 03-28-2011 at 08:34 AM. Reason: adding some
86zuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcboof View Post
First, what crawler do you have. Since it sounds like its a shafty. Likely causes of stalling a motor out is insufficient battery amperage, geared too high, or just plain crappy motors. All of these things will stall a truck out when bound up in a hole.

Post up some specs of your rig and it will be easier to tell what is going on.
Its an ax10 rtr. Now with a tcs x trail chassis and the electronics include an LRP ai runner waterproof ESC ,futuba reciver and a traxxas 2056 waterproof servo. The motor is the stock 27 turn axial, the tires drive shafts axials and transmisson are all stock
bignick3674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:49 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

the stock 27 turn and the pinion that the RTR has is set up more for bashing and not rock crawling... you need to swap out to a much smaller pinion or swap to a 35turn or 45turn motor...
needs2hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:33 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Yeah, most likely the pinion is the issue. I swapped in a 20 tooth on my RTC just to try it out and it would bind up way to easily. Only have bind issues with the 14 tooth when a wheel is completely wedged, and then the truck is flipping it's self.
GRIMGREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:30 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Do you have a slipper clutch? The reason for it's existance is to prevent exactly what you are describing.
Mud Puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:11 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Puppy View Post
Do you have a slipper clutch? The reason for it's existance is to prevent exactly what you are describing.
X2, or don't drive it in the hole, lol.
Getting a lower turn motor and changing the pinion will give you more torque and low end control to work with, but the majority of the time if you get in that kind of a situation, it will just continue to wad the tire up and either smoke the motor, twist off a drive shaft, or break an axle or cvd. Take the penalty and reposition the truck.

BTW, that hot smell and burning sensation your fingers experience, happens when a heavy throttle finger cooks the windings in the motor when it gets in a bind. It has nothing to do with the esc.

Last edited by Boogie; 03-28-2011 at 09:14 AM.
Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:53 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

A good 55T might be an option too.
entropy is offline   Reply With Quote