Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: gearing help??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2011, 01:55 PM   #1

Default gearing help??

hey guys, just needing some help on my gearing. Im running a tekin fxr with tekin 45t motor in a gd600(with 20t pinion and the stock main gear) to the stock axial tranny that has the spur gear shaft cut. I just got it running last night and first outting it seems if one tire gets stuck or bound up it just dies/stalls after a short 5-10min run, I noticed the motor was insanely hot couldnt touch for more then a second! could gearing it down for more torque fix it? also in reverse it only seems to pulse and is not smooth like forward. any and ALL help will be appreciated

thanks guys,
matt
97koukiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2011, 04:40 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

1-My guess is that the drivetrain is overgeared (thus the high loads & temps on parts)
2-My guess is that the motor is not timed to "0*", thus the differing power/response between FWD & REV.

Last edited by Charlie-III; 04-07-2011 at 07:30 PM. Reason: fix typos....
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:17 PM   #3

well what kind of gearing do you think it should be at?
and how could/would i time it properly?
Old 04-07-2011, 07:29 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

If the motors get rather hot, drop the pinion size & retest.
There are usually timing marks on the motor can & endbell. Motors that reverse are either timed to "0" or slightly advanced (changes depending on which motor). This is usually adjusted by loosening the screws holding the endbell locked & twisting it a bit against the motor direction when they are running forward.

Last edited by Charlie-III; 04-07-2011 at 07:32 PM. Reason: More frikkin typos....
Old 04-07-2011, 08:13 PM   #5

thanks man! I unhooked the driveshaft to the axial tranny. and just held it wide open for about 5 mins never got hot! so looked up and found one page where someone used the same setup and used a 9t pinion. so I will order that and try it out

as for the pulsing it was my radio calibration with the tekin. redid it and now works great! no pulsing thanks for all the help though!!
Old 04-08-2011, 04:21 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97koukiman View Post
thanks man! I unhooked the driveshaft to the axial tranny. and just held it wide open for about 5 mins never got hot! so looked up and found one page where someone used the same setup and used a 9t pinion. so I will order that and try it out

as for the pulsing it was my radio calibration with the tekin. redid it and now works great! no pulsing thanks for all the help though!!
Sounds great. Please follow up so others can learn ("if" they search) the same topic.