Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Cutting styrene

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2011, 09:53 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Cutting styrene

So I searched bit it's all been about thinner styrene from what I can see, but was wondering what you guys use to cut thicker styrene like .060 and alive, I'm using a mini hand hack saw thing, and a cut off wheel on a desman lol just wondering what you guys know and think
demonoid369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2011, 10:46 PM   #2
RCC Addict

I use the age old "score-score and snap" method. Having a nice metal straight edge, and a good SHARP razor blade is the secret I have used. Trick is to get it to follow a 'tear' or 'score' without drifting
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:58 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawling Calvin View Post
I use the age old "score-score and snap" method. Having a nice metal straight edge, and a good SHARP razor blade is the secret I have used. Trick is to get it to follow a 'tear' or 'score' without drifting

x2...

Score it and snap it...that easy...even on the smaller pieces it works well.
With the thicker stuff you might have to score a bit deeper but it works just as well.

-
TOMCAT18T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:04 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

x3. Just score and snap, just like drywall. I gave up on exacto blades and now just use a regular utility knife, the bigger blades last much longer and they're cheaper!
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:07 PM   #5
RCC Addict

What about curves and stuff like that? I apologize for not explaining better, I had been talking about curve and angles, I knew about scoring and breaking it off
demonoid369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:24 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

still works....just get it started and then chase the run slowly. Make sure you have a good score line...any little nick can send the run a different direction.

-
TOMCAT18T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:08 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I picked up a scroll saw at a yard sale & bought some blades at Sears. Cuts thru the styrene like butter & curves/radiuses are easy to do. I have to take it SLOW & cut a little big, then sand the final shape. Go too fast, & it liquifies the plastic and fills in the cut behind the blade.

Plus for the scroll saw is: it can be used on a ton of different materials as well.

TexasJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 11:05 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonoid369 View Post
What about curves and stuff like that? I apologize for not explaining better, I had been talking about curve and angles, I knew about scoring and breaking it off
just make as many straight cuts as possible to 'rough in' the shape then file/sand to the final shape. Think about the way you would use a hand saw to cut out a shape on some plywood, it will help you visualize how to cut the styrene.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 05:13 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

I've used a band saw to get success. I used to make stuff out of plastic (letter openers, hand held ice scrapers and so on) and using "relief cuts" (on your curve you cut straight cuts into the material to allow the blade the make the corner more effectively) is very effective. Basically the same approach you would take thin plywood works on styrene. I've also used a scroll saw for much success.
xxCARLSONxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:25 AM   #10

Dremel
Burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:15 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I use lexan scissors in combination with a rotary tool because I'm too cheap to buy a dremel...$15 3 speed and a whole bunch of accesories with it from Harbor Freight.

Anyways mark out what you need cut with a fine sharpie so you have smooth lines. Templates can be anything you can think of...left over paint can tops, wheels, even a bic pen you bent into shape by heating it with a lighter.

Once you have that down obviously fill in the gaps with smaller styrene and use Plastistruct (sp?) which will melt it in place and glue it down. Smaller gaps here and there hit it up with Squadron green putty. Let dry then sand.

Chances are if you don't pack the putty in there deep enough after sanding you will still see gaps. Just repack and resand until smooth.
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:50 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Industrial razor with my metal ruler works great every time!
17dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:03 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

X2 on what Texasjeff was saying. The styrene will melt and get stuck to fast moving cutters like a rotory or dremel. Rough cut and sanding might do the trick. That scroll saw would be awesome if you plan on making alot of stuff.
Elastokinematic is offline   Reply With Quote