Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Electrical issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2006, 10:21 PM   #1

Exclamation Electrical issue

I don't mean to sound like a newb, which I am but my nylint seems to be experiencing battery cut off. I've charged it for a good 4 hours, and when I use it for about 10 minutes, the nylint stops responding to my controller in small spurts. I will accelerate in 4hi or 4lo, and it will stop for a split second, then continue, then stop, then continue, etc. It seems like a complete power loss since the steering also tries to straiten up when it cuts off. I've replaced the battery in the remote, so that isn't it, but what else should I check for?

I bought this Nylint used, and it came with a New and Used battery, and I've just been using the new one at the moment. This came with no instructions, but what is the normal charging time for one of these batteries? The light on the charger continues to stay green while the battery is plugged in, but the battery never warms up... is all of this normal?

Sorry for the long read, but it's annoying that I can't play with my toy after all the cool stuff I've done to it.
xjj33p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2006, 10:26 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

How long did you charge the new battery the first time? They need to charge for 18hrs the first time. Try charging the old one and use it. Also try changing the 9v in the remote.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 10:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn
How long did you charge the new battery the first time? They need to charge for 18hrs the first time. Try charging the old one and use it. Also try changing the 9v in the remote.
I charged it for about 2 hours I think. Bad judgement on my part, but I had no clue, so I'll charge it tonight during my 18 hour sleeping session

The 9v in the remote was replaced already. No change there.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:58 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Sounds like either the batteries (controller AND vehicle) or the hi-low switch in one of the axles. I had that surging problem when the vehicle would move a couple inches, cut off, move, cut off, and so on. I replaced both batteries and that didn't help and then i opened the axles to find the 4-lo/hi switch in the front axle wasn't moving enough to engage a gear. There was a little bit of dirt stuck in the gears which prevented them from spinning and allow teh gear lever to slide over. After cleaning it up, it worked fine.
muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 08:36 AM   #5
Powered by Awesome

yup.. gotta agree.. 18 initial charge and then it takes 12 hours to recharge after that... this is all outlined in the instructions. Problem solved.
TwistedXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 09:13 AM   #6

havent heard of that axle problem yet but my guess would be you need a new battery.

definetly try charging the used one up for atleast 8 hours (never more than 40)

the crawlers electrical system causes it to surge when the volts get low (its dead) to prevent from running it untill it stops

i have the same problem with my battery, they should last a minimum of 1.5 hours. some people get up to 4 hours
Wing Nut OOA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 11:26 AM   #7

I'll try all of those things guys. Thankyou very much.

If anyone has a copy of the instructions that they could send me, I'd also appreciate it very much.
Old 04-30-2006, 03:51 PM   #8

Ok, here's what went down. I've tried charging the new battery for 18 hours and running it in my nylint. It wouldn't go for more than 2 minutes without having the same stop and go symptoms. Charged the old battery for the same amount of time, and I have the same problem as with the new battery.

I believe that the problem is coming from my charger.

Whenever the batteries have been charging, I notice that the batteries don't even get warm... doesn't it make sense that they should? Anyways, I measured the voltage coming out of the charger with a multi-meter, and it came out to about .78 volts. Is that correct?

Anyways, thanks for the continuing help on the subject.
Old 04-30-2006, 06:58 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjj33p3r
Ok, here's what went down. I've tried charging the new battery for 18 hours and running it in my nylint. It wouldn't go for more than 2 minutes without having the same stop and go symptoms. Charged the old battery for the same amount of time, and I have the same problem as with the new battery.

I believe that the problem is coming from my charger.

Whenever the batteries have been charging, I notice that the batteries don't even get warm... doesn't it make sense that they should? Anyways, I measured the voltage coming out of the charger with a multi-meter, and it came out to about .78 volts. Is that correct?

Anyways, thanks for the continuing help on the subject.
My battery does not become warm after charging. The charger itself becomes a little hot though. I'm still guessing it's your shift lever in the axles. if you remove the bottom cover (a couple screws and one or two snap brackets), you'll see the lever right in front of you. It's the long black piece with gear-like teeth at the end that is meshed with the white spinning gears. To the left and right of the lever, there are switches that get pressed down when the lever slides over them. Try holding both switches down (on both axles) and run it. If it runs smooth without cutting out, that's your problem.

Last edited by muddeprived; 04-30-2006 at 07:02 PM.
muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 12:25 AM   #10

OK, I believe I found the problem...

I plugged in my charger, and also hooked up a Multimeter to it, and guess what... It's only pushing .8-1 volt. I emailed funrise about the problem, and they are sending out a new charger to my address. So far I've had two complaints to them, and both have been handled with basically no questions asked on their part. I'm really happy with funrise, and I'm even more psyched that I'll finally get to play with my Nylint again!
Old 05-15-2006, 02:25 PM   #11

mines only putting out 5 volts so i gueese ima be givin them an email also
Strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 04:56 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

mine puts out 15-16 volts......
SlammedMini469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 10:40 PM   #13

Does anyone else feel like this deserves a sticky? Many people seem to have this issue, but noone has pinpointed the problem like I just have, or if so, they haven't mentioned it. Either way, I tried looking for the 12 volt Fast and Furious battery, but Walmart didn't have anything like that. I'm still waiting to recieve that charger which should be in soon. I'll let yall know how that goes.
Old 05-27-2006, 10:07 PM   #14

I am having this problem. So using a different charger to get the batt up to a full charge solved it? Or was the battery just bad too. I have tried different chargers and different batteries and still it acts up like this.
mikeeh is offline   Reply With Quote