Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Any suggestions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2011, 10:51 PM   #1

Default Any suggestions?

To start there is a set of stairs I want to climb. I have to. A highly modified XR10 was able to so there must be a way. It did it with dual digs. I don't have one because I prefer 4ws. When I go to climb them I have no clearance issues. But when the rear tires approach the lip of the stairs they dig under the lip and begin to lift the front of the rig off the ground.

So my question is: Is there any way to overcome this problem with 4ws?
ReaperGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2011, 08:37 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

I don't think the 4ws will affect your stair climbing. You could try a set of underdrive gears in the rear axle, that'll help a little.
dmcchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:04 PM   #3

I have worm gear axles if that changes anything.

And would extra weight on the front help? Or maybe less aggressive tires? The Rock Crushers I have don't like to let go once they grab something.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:52 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I think either more weight in the front or less grippy tires in the rear would help. Maybe a harder foam set up in the rear tires to reduce their traction as different tires look kinda lame. The problem is that the available traction exceeds the gravity pull of the front end. Hence the lifting. So it is either increase the forward weight bias or reduce traction. I think a combo of both if possible would be good. Moving weight if possible rather then just adding some may be best as well. As the more overall weight can reduce overall performance and be harder on parts. If you can move the batteries further forward or relocate esc's. etc to the front it will help.

*Edit* I just re read your post. At first I thought you had an XR10 but after reading it you may not. I see where you say "An Xr10 did it so there must be a way"! So either you saw an XR10 do it on a video or in person. If you are driving a shafty rig then torque twist can greatly contribute to the issue you are experiencing. And that opens another book of worms. So if you are using a shafty, i would look into what I initially listed or look into combating torque twist. I know it is to conquer some stairs but working on weight bias and grip as well as limiting torque twist to a minimum will help in all areas of the rigs performance.

Last edited by Rook82; 05-26-2011 at 03:58 PM.
Rook82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:01 PM   #5
RCC Addict

And keep in mind that if the stairs are carpeted. Carpet has a ton of traction. Once you get back out in the dirt/rocks, you may want that traction back. Things that happen on carpet often do not outside.
Rook82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:30 PM   #6

I have a Rock Force and have yet to produce torque twist. I have modded the 7 cell pack so the hump is in the front along with my receiver battery. The esc is about 3/4 forward and the receiver is about 1/4 forward. I am using XR10 wheels so I can add weight with either the axial kits or vanquish wheel weights.

Next time I try to climb the stairs I will give the original tires a try. But I may have to get some HB rovers or something simular.

Also thanks for the help.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:36 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Normally I would say either get a dig unit, or look to over drive the front wheels/under drive the rear wheels, but I now know you won't do that.

Adding some weight to the front wheels or front axle "may" help.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Normally I would say either get a dig unit, or look to over drive the front wheels/under drive the rear wheels, but I now know you won't do that.
With rear steer the dig wont work (Doesn't even work right most of the time anyways) and I don't believe the high speed gears will work with the standard gears. The ratios are very far apart.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:45 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperGN View Post
With rear steer the dig wont work (Doesn't even work right most of the time anyways) and I don't believe the high speed gears will work with the standard gears. The ratios are very far apart.

You might need to explain that one to me, Naw-never mind!
ClodNutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:33 PM   #10

With the rock force gearing options in the axles are very limited. And the dig doesn't like to work without modification. Even then it can be touchy.