Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: RC4WD Worminator Axles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2011, 12:16 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default RC4WD Worminator Axles

Anyone got any real experience with these axles? They look and sound great. Hopefully Ill be buying me some here soon to use on my comp crawler so that my Axial axles can be used for a scaler.

Just wanting to know what experience if any yall have with them. Going to do a search on the subject here shortly as well.
KROGOTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2011, 12:23 AM   #2
Defy Gravity

now this is said without having messed with the worminators, but have you looked into losi comp crawler/night crawler axles? more aftermarket support (worminators is about nil) and also cheaper. just a thought, and still have the worm drive.
ghtpdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:25 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I hadnt, and the only reason Im considering the Worminator axles right now is because Im getting front and rear axles for under the price of a single axle by itself.

I might head over to the Losi comp crawler subforum and take a peak around.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:58 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Hopefully tomorrow Ill get a chance to look at some Losi Comp Crawler axles in person, but Ive already made the purchase for the Worminators. Got a good deal on them, especially considering how costly it is when you have to purchase both axles and the Steering/4-link kit.

Otherwise id stay stuff it. lol. Sucks though, depending on how they work with my Axial trans, I may have to buy a 1:1 RC4WD transmission. Ya win some, ya lose some.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:27 PM   #5
RCC Addict

you will need the 1:1 tranny. I'd suggest a Losi tranny though. If you can get them to work you'll be one of the few.
JesterSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:09 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KROGOTH View Post
Hopefully tomorrow Ill get a chance to look at some Losi Comp Crawler axles in person, but Ive already made the purchase for the Worminators. Got a good deal on them, especially considering how costly it is when you have to purchase both axles and the Steering/4-link kit.

Otherwise id stay stuff it. lol. Sucks though, depending on how they work with my Axial trans, I may have to buy a 1:1 RC4WD transmission. Ya win some, ya lose some.
Axial trans will not work, LCC-LNC trans or a 1:1 trans.
Had the worminators when they came out. Even though they
were very cool they were junk. Expensive junk! Don't know if they
are better built nowadays but I would go with the Losi axles if
ya wanna go worms. Had them as well and I liked.

Some pics of my Worminator. DNA SSS chassis, goat system, etc.

Robotboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:27 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

A LCC tranny will probably be a ton cheaper than anything from RC4WD. Its just a matter of making it fit on my Axial mounting plate.

What makes them junk though? Ive read that worm driven axles have quirks, like getting bound up when normal axles would get torque twist and such. But Im definitely interested to hear more in depth why you considered them to be junk.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:56 PM   #8
RCC Addict

They are too heavy. The gears were junk. They would strip out when barely bound. RC4WD would replace them but still come on. Went through 3 sets before I ditched them. But they were cool and had a ton of clearance. They did real well on a Black Widow chassis as well. But too heavy for the SSS. I wish ya the best with them.
Robotboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:59 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Im gonna give them a try if nothing else! Good to hear what I can maybe expect though. How difficult was it to get RC4WD to replace stripped gears though? That info might come in handy...

My chassis is pretty beefy so I dont expect too many problems in that respect. Gotta make new links for them though, that could be fun to see how well my homemade links hold up though.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:43 PM   #10
RCC Addict

They will work. I swapped out Losi axles for the Worminators.
You need to make sure they have the 25:1 gears in them, it's the same ratio Losi uses.
You need to get either the LCC dig tranny or the LNC tranny if you want sportsman.
I ran mine with a LCC tranny, 21.5T brushless LRP Crawler motor, Mamba Max Pro on 4s, responded just like my Losi and had more clearance. Did lose some uptravel due to having to build around the "portal" type design.
shelljeep is offline   Reply With Quote