Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Sportsman Rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2011, 11:04 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Sportsman Rig

Looking to build a sportsman rig out of a LCC or an AX-10 and want some opinions as to which platform makes for a better rig. I currently have a LCC, but in looking at some of the latest AX-10 builds I am leaning toward an AX-10.
jlsandkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2011, 12:04 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I think the LCC makes a better sporty rig.

-The steering is a lot better out of the box and doesn't require all of the custumization to get a tight turning radius like the AX-10 does.
-It has a better geometry out of the box as well, you can get the AX-10 to perform as well, but, again, it requires significant upgrades and modifications.
-The biggest drawbacks of the LCC are the amount of maintenance that needs to be done for the worms (somewhat challenging for a newbie, but not really a problem for someone that has been around the hobby a while), and the LCC was really made for a brushless motor, which adds some expence, but not nearly as much as the modifications the AX-10 needs to be brought up to the level of a stock LCC.
-Lastly, because the torque is made in the axles and not in the tranny, the LCC has a lot less problems with TT.

The down side, who knows how much longer Losi will support that rig.

Plus, it really depends on the driver and how the rig is setup. I've seen good drivers compete in the pro class with a sporty AX10 and do quite well.

JMHO...
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:27 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I experimented with both, an AX10 that I built into a Sportsman rig and an LCC that I was gonna use in the Sportsman class. After modding and spending some significant time driving both I decided to run the AX10 for the season, and was more than happy I did. I did drop alot more money into the AX10 versus the LCC. But I feel that with the right setup and in the right hands it is more than capable of running neck and neck with a LCC. Plus I just grew frustrated of the worm gears on the LCC.

Hope this help a little.
d34thw1sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:37 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by d34thw1sh View Post
I experimented with both, an AX10 that I built into a Sportsman rig and an LCC that I was gonna use in the Sportsman class. After modding and spending some significant time driving both I decided to run the AX10 for the season, and was more than happy I did. I did drop alot more money into the AX10 versus the LCC. But I feel that with the right setup and in the right hands it is more than capable of running neck and neck with a LCC. Plus I just grew frustrated of the worm gears on the LCC.

Hope this help a little.
2x - I've seen him progress with his AX10 rig. I would go AX10, Lipo, BTA steering, 4-linked front and rear with the body as low as you can get it.
RCHuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:40 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the responses so far. I would like a little more detail as to the advantages you guys are seeing with the AX10s? I can see your point with not having to mess with the worm gears, but I was under the impression that the new HD gears help alleviate most of the reliability and maintenance issues. From my perspective and has been mentioned by Greatscott the LCC’s chassis has good geometry (great when setup to Del Monte’s specs) and good steering. Also the ground clearance of the axles housing seems to be exceptional. But the AX10 when using the new longer beef toobs and XR10 axles looks like it might have even more steering, which on a sportsman rig would seem to be important since dig can not be used. Also, I thought being able to run underdrive and overdrive gears would help make up for the lack of dig too. Help me make up my mind.

jlsandkes is offline   Reply With Quote