Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Best RC for bashing/crawling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2011, 05:15 AM   #1

Default Best RC for bashing/crawling

I currently have a traxxas slash 4x4 VXL, with 5.5 rover tires (on RPM wide crawler wheels). Running the stock brushless VXL system that heats up quite a bit, even though I geared it down (9T pinion & 54T spur). Basically, the truck is still crazy fast... too fast actually, and I'm thinking of selling it and getting something else. Here's what I need help with. My options so far are:

1) Axial Wraith
2) Traxxas Stampede
3) Traxxas Summit

I'm willing to do a few mods such as changing up gearing, changing diff oils (or locking them), but I don't want to get into upgrading ESC's and motors etc. I like using one battery, and have a good one already (GensAce 5000mah 2s 40c). A single battery system would put the Summit out of the race... but is it worth the extra money, cause those locking diffs and high/low gearing seem awesome). I hear the downside of the Summit is it's weight. I'm happy with 30-35mph speeds, but I want a very capable off roader that's able to climb up sandy/rocky hills. Finally, it needs to be durable... as I'm way out here in Sri Lanka and it takes time to get parts down when they do break. Which do you guys think will be the best for what I'm looking for?
Lankan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2011, 05:38 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Wraith can crawl, but I think its almost impossible to drive at 30mph
Stampede goes fast, either 4x4 or 2wd, it can't crawl any better than the slash, or just a bit better.
And the summit can go fast, and can crawl somewhat well, it's not capable of doing ''wraith'' crawls, but it will do better than stampede, much better.
Gather some money and get the wraith or ax10 and keep the slash, then you have 1 car with you cna go fast, and 1 to crawl.
Chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:47 AM   #3

Can't afford to have more than one truck at a time (for now at least)... so gotta decide on one. I would say bashability and durability are #1. In second place will be the trucks capability to be good off-road. Thirdly to be able to run for at least 30-40 minutes on the 2S Lipo I have, and finally would be speed.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:45 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I know my honcho isnt very fast but I beat the hell out of it and it just keeps going.

My 7 year old rolled it about 10 times and it just popped up and kept going.

Justin
WILDMAN442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:29 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDMAN442 View Post
I know my honcho isnt very fast but I beat the hell out of it and it just keeps going.

My 7 year old rolled it about 10 times and it just popped up and kept going.

Justin
Haha I would hope it lasts a lot more than 10 rolls.
opek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:45 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Well you can turn your Slash 4x4 platform into a mild crawler and basher rig. Check out UltimateRC....Jang's Chimera Slash 4x4 is pretty wicked! That way you keep your Slash and just do some minor mods!

I had a Summit...sold it after maybe a couple of months. Down here in Texas not much terrain for it. It's just too damn big lol.
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexchen86 View Post
Well you can turn your Slash 4x4 platform into a mild crawler and basher rig. Check out UltimateRC....Jang's Chimera Slash 4x4 is pretty wicked! That way you keep your Slash and just do some minor mods!
Actually, I'm a member on that forum and building a Chimera-A is what I was originally setting out to do. One of my buddies really wants to buy my truck, so figured I would maybe go for something like the Summit or Wraith, which was designed to do the stuff that I wanna do.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:58 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Get a wraith. Upgrade as you go, but if you stay on 2S it will be awhile. DO the Shock Posistion Mod and the Link mount reversal and your handling will improve drastically.
neillarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:58 AM   #9
RCC Addict

The wraith would be the best bet.

The summit is big and can barrel it's way over and through things, but it has a lot of weak spots. The diffs and servos all suck. The arms break easily, and so on. It also takes twice the batteries and will be more expensive to maintain. Plus the wraith looks much cooler imho.

I see no reason a wraith can't be driven at 30 mph with a little suspension tuning.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:47 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSP View Post
The wraith would be the best bet.

The summit is big and can barrel it's way over and through things, but it has a lot of weak spots. The diffs and servos all suck. The arms break easily, and so on. It also takes twice the batteries and will be more expensive to maintain.
About the weak spots of the Summit... have you owned one, or have a friend that owns one? I've heard about the "dig" feature of the Wraith, but will you need to get a different controller (minimum 3-channel) to operate it?
Old 07-12-2011, 01:34 PM   #11
RCC Addict

I have owned several Revo's which is what the summit is based off of had several friends that owned summits. None of them own a summit anymore if that tells you anything. The arms and diffs are a major issue as well as the servos of which there are 5 total, 2 standard and 3 mini.

The wraith can add a dig unit and yest you will need a 3 channel tx/rx. However, hobbypartz.com sells a very nice 3 channel computerized 2.4 ghz rx/tx for 35 bucks which can be modded and hacked up to 6 channels for a total cost of less than 100 radio included. For a basher rig it's all you'll ever need and then some.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:57 PM   #12
RCC Addict

I would think that your description falls into the target of the Wraith perfectly. I think the Stampede is a great basher. But more for higher speed, sand runs, some bumps etc. Great for like a bmx track, etc. Parts are very inexpensive and plentiful. You can actually get many parts for them at "PepBoys" auto stores. They carry the Stampede and a few other traxxas rigs. Just another option for parts then rc shops or online.

I think the Summit while cool and good on paper, like others say, has some weakpoints. And that in itself is what you said you are trying to avoid. All vehicles usually have something for a weak point, but it sounds like there are many on the Summits.

I think if you are going to be jumping alot with it and really going full throttle alot then something like the Stampede would be good. Independent suspensions just excel at that compared to a solid axle rig. But if you really do want rocky hill climbing and trail riding, then the Wraith would be great. It is still very new and i am sure that major weak points if any have yet to be found. The Stampeded design has been around for a long time. If you want to customize it and make it scale or add all kinds of stuff. The scale rigs just are in a league of their own for how much you can do to them. Take the axles off of an SCX10 and there are probably 20 different options for replacements that are totally different (from RC4WD, etc). And that is just axles. But for something like a Traxxas rig, you are really limited to just stock but maybe aluminum, etc upgrades. Nothing really different just better material. A lot of things to consider. i think you will get better run times on a Wraith then a Stampede as well as it runs a higher turn motor. I wouldn't doubt it if it had twice the run time compared to a Stampede.
Rook82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook82 View Post
The scale rigs just are in a league of their own for how much you can do to them. Take the axles off of an SCX10 and there are probably 20 different options for replacements that are totally different (from RC4WD, etc). And that is just axles. But for something like a Traxxas rig, you are really limited to just stock but maybe aluminum, etc upgrades. Nothing really different just better material.
These couple of sentences have convinced me to go with the Wraith. Didn't realize that you can totally change it into whatever you want later on... as opposed to bolt-on stuff on a Traxxas. Does the Wraith come as a roller? I'm assuming not. Where's the best (fastest) online store that I can purchase the Wraith RTR? Thanks for all the advice guys!
Old 07-12-2011, 10:05 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Just put a summit trans it the wrath an you will have your speed and lowrange to crawl, they have a few members vids on the old YouTube on scx10
pook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:19 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bGGF...e_gdata_player

Pook's iPhone
Old 07-13-2011, 12:07 AM   #16

Thanks for the video... that's exactly what I would be wanting. So that two stage tranny can be bolted on to the Wraith?
Old 07-13-2011, 05:14 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

No bolt on yet, but there is bolt on's for the scx10. The aftermarket will be up In full force soon
Old 07-13-2011, 10:13 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Just put the right motor ESC combo in the wraith and you will have your high and low speed ability. The summit tranny is nice in theory, but works poorly in practice. It's extremely heavy and screws up your center of gravity.