Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: traveling with rc cars

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2011, 11:39 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default traveling with rc cars

did some searching but no luck with any results.
how would i go about bringing my scaler on an airplane to go on vacation with. i know it can be done but i have no clue on how to go about preparing it and if i can bring it on as a carry on
so any help would be great. i leave Wednesday morning for three weeks and would love to take it with me
chinkychink is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2011, 06:39 AM   #2
www.ottsix.com

I'v checked mine in with no problem....now, as for carry-on, you better call ahead on that. The only thing I've heard of as being a problem is gas/nitro RC for obvious reasons.
crawl-o-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:26 AM   #3
Nobody

I just flew to San Diego from Boston with my scaler. I took the body and wheel/tires off, and wrapped it in a towel, then put it, the body, and a bag of lipos in a duffel bag carry on. I got pulled aside, but all they did was wave a wand through the bag and then scan the wand. He didn't even want me to pull it out of the bag and unwrap it.
Cordwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:32 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

you can take the scaler as a carry on. it can also be your second carry on that you stow under the seat. wrap your lipos individually in plastic bags and tape them closed( you can find the lipo info on your airline specific rules on their website). when we flew to AWCC we checked our hobby bag and another suitcase with our radios and misc hobby items on the plane and each carried our crawlers, lipos, and a carry on bag with us.
James003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:47 AM   #5
RCC Addict

I tried to take my SCX10 but when the TSA agent felt it up it ran screaming out of the airport. The XR just laughed but they sent it through the xray machine. It came out crying because they saw it really had 3 inch shocks instead of 4 like it claimed. Then we were on the plane and they kept trying to crawl over everything. The SCX got all tangled in one ladies beehive and the air marshall approached use. The XR began to argue so the marshall zip tied his it's suspension so tight it could no longer move. The the SCX went to the restroom and fell in the toilet and got blue water stains all over. We had to stick it in a trash bag and I still can't get the chemical smell to wash off and you can still see blue all over the body. It was a rough trip and getting slapped with a 500 dollar fine for the XR mouthing off and having to be detained didn't help.

So traveling with crawlers and scalers can be rough.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:37 AM   #6
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Since I will never step foot on a commercial airplane, my rigs go right behind my truck's seat nice and comfortably.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:44 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I have flown several times with my crawlers....you can carry on everything but your tools. They might want you to pull them out of the bag, but there is nothing there that any other person doesnt have as well. Even the lipos arent any different than other batteries that the TSA experiences...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:14 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

im flying from grand rapids Michigan to Portland Oregon and dont need the tools cause i got some out there already. im not bringing a bodyjust frame wheels and electronics and no lipo just old school 6 cell battery
chinkychink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:23 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Search for "airline" yielded this..... Flying with your crawler

I knew I read this recently.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:54 PM   #10

Unless your carrying a gun or any sharp tool over 7in you will be fine. You can carry it on easily just be upfront and let them know whats in the bag. They will open it up and finger bang it while inspecting it, but other then that no issues will arise.
Repoman330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 11:35 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: traveling with rc cars

Ok just went through security . Talked to a guy while I was in line he wanted to see pics then it went through X-ray there was like 5 guys looking and smiling lol never even opened the bag so easy. Wraith and controler in carry on bag no problem
theblackmonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 12:11 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Just pack it and ship it to where you're staying through FedEx. You know damn well once the plane it at cruising altitude, you'll be dying to take it out and run it up and down the aisles lol
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 12:13 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus View Post

Since I will never step foot on a commercial airplane, my rigs go right behind my truck's seat nice and comfortably.
Why not? Have your own plane? Or have you been watching all the "Air Disasters" shows on Smithsonian channel? lol
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 01:17 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinkychink View Post
did some searching but no luck with any results.
how would i go about bringing my scaler on an airplane to go on vacation with. i know it can be done but i have no clue on how to go about preparing it and if i can bring it on as a carry on
so any help would be great. i leave Wednesday morning for three weeks and would love to take it with me
There is actually a lot information out there on traveling with batteries and RC cars. This is one of the best for batteries: The TSA Blog: Travel Tips Tuesday: Safely Packing Batteries for Your Trip

The bottom line is Lipos go in carry on baggage and tools go in checked baggage. Your rig can go either carry on (if not too big) or checked.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote