Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Help, can't figure this out.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2011, 04:54 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Help, can't figure this out.....

When running my rig for about 5 minutes, it starts to loose power in forward motion only. The motor gets hot and the rear universal joint gets hot. I thought the problem was in the rear axle so I took it apart, but it shows no signs of wear at all and everything spins freely. Now Im thinking the problem is the motor, but this does not explain why it only has problems in forward only. When this happens I'll climb the same obsticle in reverse with no poblems. I've also exchanged the red to black connections to the motor to reverse the drive of the motor, and the same thing happens. Lack of power in forward. The motor gets real chirpy then stops all together, after letting it sit for a minute it will run again. Before buying a new motor ( currently running a 55 turn closed end bell ) I'd like to know what yall think. Also I stiffened the rear suspension and Im thinking the angle of the rear drive shaft is causing a bind at the u-joint, causing an overheated motor, but this also doesnt explain the full power in reverse. Im using a traxxas xl-5 esc. any help in greatly appriciated.
dolphenwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2011, 08:59 PM   #2
Proverbial threadkiller

Hrmph, that is a stumper.

I was wondering if your motor and rear drivetrain were getting hot because all your power was going out the back end. Maybe something broken in the front drivetrain, and now the rear's doing all the pushing? When you climb obstacles in reverse, do you still have 4 wheel drive?
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:18 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Drive shaft angles could still be your problem. When changing direction, the axle will wrap or torque more one way. This changes the angle slightly, and could be binding more going forward. Try running with the rear driveshaft removed and see if you loose forward motor power. If not, you will need to fix the driveshaft angles so they are less extream.

Pics of your current setup could also help.
ThunderVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:13 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

It was the driveshaft angle. Thanks.
dolphenwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:08 AM   #5
Custom Carbon Fiber

a little more then just the motor and esc might help ......... what truck?

if its ring and pinion the you could have a blown bearing or the ring gear isnt shimmed correctly in that axle.

id start by tearing the axle apart and make sure its smooth and clean in there.

Run the truck should mud/water much?
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote