Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Another update of my XF Hybrid- 56K die!!! Pics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2004, 05:13 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Another update of my XF Hybrid- 56K die!!! Pics

Sup guys, here's another update on my X-Factor Hybrid crawler.

Here I made up some fake bead locks with some plexiglass. I've always loved the Trail Ready Bead locks so I made em look like that.

TR bead locks for comparison

Scrambler body. I wanted something a little nicer this time around so I used Pactra Daytona Yellow for the main color and Pactra Blue Streak for the tribal pattern.

Nice and low

siped the center lugs and started on the outside lugs

Wicked approach angle!

aluminum shock towers for the new HPI aluminum savage shocks

Finally finished the rear body post mount. It also acts like a chassis brace. That round brace below it also acts like a bump stop for the rear upper links. Now I won't bottom out the rear shocks. Cool

I broke all my spare link mounts when I was running it nitro. So I had to fab this one up out of aluminum c-channel.

new servo mount/upper link mount. And the brand new bluebird servo that broke the first time crawling. DO NOT BUY BLUEBIRD SERVOS!!!!
cman_1500w is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2004, 05:21 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Another update of my XF Hybrid- 56K die!!! Pics

As before Cman, your X leaves me speechless.
When you made those simulated beadlocks, what did you use to cut the plexi?
radishkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 06:22 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I second That .JUST AWESOME!! That Must Crawl great.
Bigbadwhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 06:55 PM   #4
The Wheels Keep Turning

i third that. great rig. love the look of it.
kevinlongisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 07:25 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

It's not that great

Haha... Jk man, Looks GREAT!!!
KidWithAcrayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 07:31 PM   #6
06 Super National Champ

Looks killer! Also looks like you need to make 3 more of those aluminum C-channel link mounts!

BTW, I have a set of TR type rings drawn up for the Scorpion to go on the Maximizers...just need time to cut'm.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 07:55 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Looks great. What kind of foam configuration are you running?
crawlmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 08:49 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

holy shit it looks great
rockraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 10:27 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Sweet Rig
Gimbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 10:37 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

OMG! that is the most beautyfull thing i have ever seen! 8O words can not decribe how much i love your rig dude! very good work!! BRAVO!
Team-FSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 11:08 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

that is awesome. how much does it cost to build one of those. and where do i start to go about building one.
fuzzhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 07:40 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzhead
that is awesome. how much does it cost to build one of those. and where do i start to go about building one.

That's what I'm learning. It's not about buying the gear, it's about developing the tech yourself. I've been staring at Cman's trucks for a few weeks now, and learning what I can do to modify my own XF. He's helped me a lot with narrowing my kongs and how to work out my wheelbase. I started with a stock truck, but by now, it looks like my plans won't involve more than my stock(err modifed axles). You don't build these. You make them.
radishkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 09:03 AM   #13
RCC Addict

nice truck, and can you show some pics of the upper link mounts on ths front axle so i can get a better way of building them on my, please.
rocpede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 09:04 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Wow, thanks for all the compliments guys! I'm pretty happy with this setup so far. It crawls really good and the tires are finally starting to shine on the rocks and grab like I want them too. A bit of torque steer but I think some stiffer springs might help with that.

Radishkid, I used a jigsaw w/ metal cutting blade and went slowly to get most of the materail off. I then used a bench grinder to make the outside smooth. Then I went back with my dremel and grinded the inside smooth. The slots were done with a rotozip bit. JB weld holds it to the wheel

Crawlmaxx, the foams are narrowed about 3 1/4" width-wise, and cut down 1/2" all around. Don't cut em down too small, at this width they need alot more support than other tires.

Fuzzhead, it does end up cost more than some other r/c's because of all the gear we end up running. Alot of the chassis/suspension work is hand made though. There's lots of good stuff you can buy to build a crawler...I just enjoy fabricating and building it more.

Rocpede, here's that pic. You can also see the temporary link mount I rigged up to run it this day. It was nitro in this pic and I broke 5link mounts in 2 days of running it nitro I'm done with nitro now

That square rod standing up is held in by a screw once from the side and also from the bottom which you can't see. I had to grind some of the plastic on the axle away to do this. I drilled and tapped all the holes. The top of the diff housing is grinded down flat and I lined up the top link mount in the middle where upper-link mount used to be. The top link mount is just some alum rod with a short piece of all thread in the middle and a screw on each end. Those alum rod spacers are threaded as well. I'm sure there are MUCH easier ways to do this.....I just tend to over think things too much and get frustrated and end up just designing as I build.....so this is what I came up with ....Lol
Old 12-06-2004, 09:15 PM   #15
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cman_1500w
Radishkid, I used a jigsaw w/ metal cutting blade and went slowly to get most of the materail off. I then used a bench grinder to make the outside smooth. Then I went back with my dremel and grinded the inside smooth. The slots were done with a rotozip bit. JB weld holds it to the wheel
Now I'm even more impressed!

That's some damn nice slots to be using a roto-zip bit and a Dremel. I was thinking about how to cut the slots, my smallest endmill is 3/16" which is too large for slots.

Again, excellent work on a killer rig!
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 09:42 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

How did you break the blue birds?
SR5Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 10:22 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

I was crawling and I noticed the the servo just started spinning and the tires weren't turning. I thought it was the plastic piece holding the servo saver on but I pulled it apart and turns out it was the center gear. There is a shaft with a small gear inside that holds the top center gear on. you can see it if you look at the gear from the top of the servo. This center part stripped out and the servo just spins and spins when any kind of load is placed on them.

I guess they're not up to the task of turning Kongs. At least it broke at the end of the day and got me through the comp

You get what you pay for I guess. I know you've had good luck with them SR5Dave, but that is my opinion of them.

When it did work it turned the Kongs quite well though
Old 12-07-2004, 09:44 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I guess they're not up to the task of turning Kongs. At least it broke at the end of the day and got me through the comp
This rig sucks, it can't crawl, and the driver doesn't know how to drive either.

BTW, Chris, I called you yesterday, but you were sleeping. You staying out late after wooping up on all of us.

And yes, lucky for him, his servo made it through the comp. Or he would have been dethroned. He is the only winner of the comps here in Texas so far. And he has one bad rig, and all homebuilt. Just remember, once I figure out how to drive this new rig, I will be going after that throne you have been holding onto so tight.. I just hope I can pry it out of your ego
T-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 09:45 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

BTW Chris, post that pic of me crawling all over your shafty.
T-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 08:30 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Man
Quote:
This rig sucks, it can't crawl, and the driver doesn't know how to drive either.

BTW, Chris, I called you yesterday, but you were sleeping. You staying out late after wooping up on all of us.

And yes, lucky for him, his servo made it through the comp. Or he would have been dethroned. He is the only winner of the comps here in Texas so far. And he has one bad rig, and all homebuilt. Just remember, once I figure out how to drive this new rig, I will be going after that throne you have been holding onto so tight.. I just hope I can pry it out of your ego

yea yea yea............beating up on old men is hard damn work lemme tell ya! :P And maybe I'll just retire this rig so it can be undefeated! That way I can start to work on my clod! And you know that's gonna be a threat dontchya!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Man
BTW Chris, post that pic of me crawling all over your shafty.
fine

Oh and the only reason I didn't just push you over was b/c I didn't wanna scratch my new body up doing it, not like that beater you got on :P ......Lol