Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: How to make your axles survive(step by step)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2006, 11:54 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

getbent, just finished up the rear axle on my rig.once again this is an excellent mod.i havent tried it out yet but it looks like it should hold.

one change i made and was due to the fact i didnt have the correct aluminum sheet you used ,so what i did was used .020 lexan for the shims on the axle gear.seems like it should hold up.
twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2006, 08:43 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

Sounds great, sometimes you just gotta use what you can get your hands on. I already had the aluminum, but the lexan should work great too. Keep us informed on how things hold up when you get achance to bash it some. Mine is still holding up great, not one sound from the gears.
getbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 10:15 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

will do. i hope ot get out in the next day or so.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:15 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

getbent,i have some good news and bad news...no clicking ! but i did have a problem. the metal claw that grabs the planetary came undone and wore a groove in the plastic. i had a feeling this would happen as when i was bending the tabs i bent them to far and had to rebend them to the correct spot.it was my own fault.
ill post pics of it in a bit.

**EDIT**

heres a pic of the planetary and hub.notice the groove worn in the plastic cover of the planetary.

Last edited by twisted; 05-24-2006 at 11:16 PM. Reason: more text
Old 05-30-2006, 10:10 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

hey getbent how are your axles holding up with this new mod ? the same thing happend again today as shown above. but the new mod has helped alot but created another weak link. im trying to think of a way to solve this problem.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:41 PM   #26

Glue the metal piece and the planetary together, tis what I did and it works like a charm. I have to do this axle fix though cus I'm gettin the death click like no other
LiftedSuzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 04:28 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiftedSuzuki
Glue the metal piece and the planetary together, tis what I did and it works like a charm. I have to do this axle fix though cus I'm gettin the death click like no other

they were glued.the problem is that this mod works so well the strain has ot go to the next weakest link.
Old 06-03-2006, 04:27 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan
Excellent write up! The MODS should sticky it! Congrats.
I second that (hey mods where are you?)
revoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 07:18 PM   #29
Pebble Pounder

I drilled through the white plastic coupler through the axles and put 3mm pins in them. After that, along with the other axle mods, the axle case busted and let the main drive gear slip... oh well
TBItoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 11:53 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBItoy
I drilled through the white plastic coupler through the axles and put 3mm pins in them. After that, along with the other axle mods, the axle case busted and let the main drive gear slip... oh well

im not quiet grassping what did, any pics?
Old 06-30-2006, 08:44 PM   #31

would copper tubing work???
norcaljeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 01:16 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

i dont see why not.copper is kind of soft so becarful.
Old 07-01-2006, 02:46 PM   #33

ok thanks
norcaljeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 11:25 AM   #34
Rock Stacker

bump, this needs to be a sticky
Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 01:46 PM   #35
Pebble Pounder

Default Wheel Sleeves

I stocked up on all the materials need to do this great mod and found that the 7/16 brass tubing is too big to sleeve my wheels. I also found it hard to find an aluminum sheet that is .025 thick to shim the axle so I'm on a quest for an alternative. I'm thinking of using a large washer that will fit up against the gear. I'll try and post what I come up with when I'm done.

I can't believe that they manufactured these with so much slack in the gearboxes!

thorn4run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 02:14 PM   #36
Pebble Pounder

I used some washers I had in my junk box... worked like a charm, only thing I had to do it drill them out a little larger.
Ramza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 07:26 PM   #37
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorn4run
I stocked up on all the materials need to do this great mod and found that the 7/16 brass tubing is too big to sleeve my wheels. I also found it hard to find an aluminum sheet that is .025 thick to shim the axle so I'm on a quest for an alternative. I'm thinking of using a large washer that will fit up against the gear. I'll try and post what I come up with when I'm done.

I can't believe that they manufactured these with so much slack in the gearboxes!

Has anyone else had a problem with the tubing size for the wheels? If so, post what size you used and I'll edit the first post. Did they change the size or design of the wheel? Anyway, glad to see this has been helpful, makes it worth the time to write it up. As for the shim, anything that is the right thickness to remove the slack, but still allow everything to spin freely should do the trick. Post up with what you find!!
getbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 09:46 PM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbent
Has anyone else had a problem with the tubing size for the wheels? If so, post what size you used and I'll edit the first post. Did they change the size or design of the wheel? Anyway, glad to see this has been helpful, makes it worth the time to write it up. As for the shim, anything that is the right thickness to remove the slack, but still allow everything to spin freely should do the trick. Post up with what you find!!
i did it step by step on two differnt nylints the way you wrote it up. only difference is that i used aluminum instead of brass.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:58 PM   #39
Pebble Pounder

The size of tube that I used on my wheel hubs was 13/32. I also just found a washer that fit the white gear on the axle and it worked great.
Everything else was just as you stated. No more slack and the gear box works like it should have to start with.

I can't wait to hammer down on the throttle with this thing now.
thorn4run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 03:30 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocker
bump, this needs to be a sticky
x2
Bajamilero is offline   Reply With Quote