Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Mounting a Ax10 onto a Scx10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2011, 09:18 PM   #21
RCC Addict

nice truck im thinking about doing the same thing with mine. can you post pics of how you mounted it
c0bra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2011, 09:41 PM   #22
Rock Stacker

I have the truck torn down now for cleaning and greasing, tomorrow when I put it together, I'll take some pics of what custom stuff was done and post tomorrow.
-mud- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:22 PM   #23
RCC Addict

ok thanks how hard was it to mount it, doesnt look too hard
Old 08-18-2011, 12:29 PM   #24
Rock Crawler

looks good man,

So here is a question, Do you have your wheels sealed off at all? so water/mud/dirt dont get inside of the wheels and soaked up by the foams??

I know on my one truck after I ran it in the water and the foams soaked up water, the motor had to work harder and got alot hotter than normal since it added all the water weight to the wheels....

just something to think about befor you start burning through motors like i did befor I figured out what was going on.
Twiztid Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:49 PM   #25
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiztid Metal View Post
looks good man,

So here is a question, Do you have your wheels sealed off at all? so water/mud/dirt dont get inside of the wheels and soaked up by the foams??

I know on my one truck after I ran it in the water and the foams soaked up water, the motor had to work harder and got alot hotter than normal since it added all the water weight to the wheels....

just something to think about befor you start burning through motors like i did befor I figured out what was going on.
Yeah, they're double sealed.
I first glued the tires onto the rims, then put the beadlock ring on. I left the foam out, so all that's inside is the air that was trapped. So if water does get inside, it'll slosh around inside. My Wheely King wheels get water inside. factory glued, but holes drilled in the rims. Hate it when mud gets in there. They do get very heavy.....

c0bra
I just got home from work. After I feed the family, play with the kids, and everyone goes to sleep, I'll put the truck back together and post those pics. And no, its not hard at all to mount everything together.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:14 PM   #26
RCC Addict

i ran my scx10 with the ax10 schocks for a wile without the ax10 chassis and after a while the stock plastic shock tower broke were it attaches to the frame. you might want to get a set of integy aluminum shock towers. i just put them in mine and they seem alot stronger
Old 08-18-2011, 04:13 PM   #27
Rock Crawler

that looks awesome
Like the backwoods trucks I seen alot of when I was in the south:
http://youtu.be/T06ZvGaXkaE
meanbgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:22 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

that video is what I was gonna say.... MUD trucks need tractor tires... aint seen a set on a scale truck yet...,,well havent looked to hard but cool idea
xjcritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 06:47 PM   #29
Rock Stacker

Talking

Thanks everyone for posting comments. I really wasn't expecting this to be much of a topic, it caught me by surprise.

So, back to the assembly. I put the rig bag together again, but pointed out the things I changed.

Here is the Ax10 plate bolted to the Scx10....

What I did for the motor was take the Ax10 skid plate, and stick that on the Scx10 frame. Therefor the Scx10 skid plate is now on the Ax10. If I left the skid plates matching the frames, things start to interfere with each other. That was figured out through alot of trial and error.....

Now there are 6 holes factory on each side of the Scx10 frame where the motor sits. So all I did was put the Ax10 plate on, lined up the hole on the Ax10 with the rearmost hole on the Scx10, and there you have it, one bolt down, 3 to go.
The hex drive is pointing to the rear bolt.

Now the front hole you'll have to drill into the frame. I just tightened the rear bolt so the plate wouldn't move while drilling.
Again, hex points to front bolt....

The Ax10 shocks simply go onto the Scx10 shock loops, down to the axle.

The only thing that was tricky was the driveshafts....I had to move the motor forward a bit on the frame so the front shaft wouldn't pop out. Which is easy to figure out because the Ax10 skid plate has extra holes in it.

I used the plastic 3 links, because it fit onto the Ax10 plate. That's the bolts below the ones on the frames. Same with the lower links....just plastic. It's a mud truck. No need to get fancy, right?
Now you can pick which place you want to put your motor tranny setup. Mine is up high to keep it out of the mud. But to each there own.

There you go. I call it the whatchamamudrig. If anyone makes another, has a better or diffrent way of doing something, by all means. Let's hear it. This thing is kind of a prototype, so changes can, and will, be made.

Thanks again for looking and posting.

Last edited by -mud-; 08-18-2011 at 06:50 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:57 PM   #30
Nope..

Personally, I'd have moved the AX plates up. Basically, bolt the frames together where the uppers are bolted. Get a little more belly clearance that way, and then cut all the AX sticking above the SCX frame off.
Brainstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:06 PM   #31
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambuller84 View Post
Personally, I'd have moved the AX plates up. Basically, bolt the frames together where the uppers are bolted. Get a little more belly clearance that way, and then cut all the AX sticking above the SCX frame off.
That's not a bad idea....since I moved the motor onto the Scx10 frame, I don't need that much excess hanging down. I do plan on trimming, once I decide the final look will be. And I'm liking your idea.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:07 PM   #32
RCC Addict

thanks for the pics, i got the truck together already. im doing mine a little differently, probably getting some longer shocks ans aluminum axles.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:06 AM   #33
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0bra View Post
thanks for the pics, i got the truck together already. im doing mine a little differently, probably getting some longer shocks ans aluminum axles.
Post some pictures when you can, sounds interesting. I would like to see the way you did it.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:24 AM   #34
RCC Addict

ok i will after i get the shocks, which will hopefully be today. the axles wont be in till hopefully monday, but i have the stocks ones on there now
Old 08-19-2011, 07:47 PM   #35
RCC Addict

3 of the 4 axles i ordered are in, with the last on back order. but 2 are for my ax10 swx. i have the ax10 shocks mounted lower and am going to test it out first then get the bigger shocks
Old 08-19-2011, 08:41 PM   #36
Rock Stacker

It always seems to happen that way, you want to buy 4 of something, and they'll only have 1, or in your case 3. And I'm assuming that when you say you have to shock mounted lower, your talking about the upper shock mount? Maybe bolted to the frame and not the shock loop?
Old 08-19-2011, 09:46 PM   #37
RCC Addict

yea the shocks are mounted on the frame for now
Old 08-20-2011, 12:35 AM   #38
Rock Stacker

This is pretty cool. after seeing it you do it this way, I did the same with my RC4WD trailfinder. gotta love that old school monster look!!
sundayface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:24 AM   #39
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0bra View Post
yea the shocks are mounted on the frame for now
Cool. I tried to do that at first, but the driveshafts weren't long enough with the longer links. Sounds like you have that problem figured out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundayface View Post
This is pretty cool. after seeing it you do it this way, I did the same with my RC4WD trailfinder. gotta love that old school monster look!!
I'm glad I was able to inspire people to try this. Let's see some pics of what you got.

Last edited by -mud-; 08-20-2011 at 06:28 AM.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:51 AM   #40
RCC Addict

heres a size comparison between the truck and a traxxas rally