Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Mounting a Ax10 onto a Scx10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2011, 05:54 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Talking Mounting a Ax10 onto a Scx10

I've seen others do this, or something similar, so I thought I would share. I bought a Benders Custom frame a while back, which was kind of an impulse buy, for my Ax10. I was bored, so I took the old side pieces and mounted them to my Scx10.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Not sure how functional it is, but I like the way it looks. I just wish I could get the motor up higher up so it wouldn't be in the mud...may have to work on that. But as you can see, I put the old Ax10 shocks onto the Scx10 shock loops. Gives it quite a bit of a lift. I think I'm going to get some big 2.8 Swamp Dawgs someday. Tomorrow will be a test run in the mud and muck, I'll post some sort of update.

Last edited by -mud-; 08-06-2011 at 07:26 PM. Reason: pics keep going away...
-mud- is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2011, 01:37 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

DKSnipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:53 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

er um ya
freakofnature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:13 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Not a bad way to go if you are making a Mud truck, etc. It is a better option then jacking it up with just longer shocks and springs. Your option keeps the links and driveshafts at much better angles. The body doesnt have to be jacked up with ultra tall body mounts looking like a 2 foot body lift. Good job!

I would leave the motor where it is. it is better for weight being down low and the mud will get to it no matter where it is. Unless by driving in mud it is small puddles, the mud will get to it regardless. Have fun with and and let us know how it works.
Rook82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:58 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

I dont know why people are umming or err yeahing this..
Honestly it reminds me of "monster Truck" racing type trucks.. looking good!
crawler_king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:03 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Props to creativeness. It's kinda weird looking to say it best, Very old school monster truckish. But if it runs and looks like you want it to, then drive it like you stole it! As for the mud with the motor down low, why not seal the motor in a balloon? Just stick the can shaft first into the balloon, poke a hole in the end so the shaft can stick through, attach the pinion, mount to the trans and boom, instant old school water and mud proofing. Just make sure you seal the inflation hole around the wires with like a tie wrap or the like.
hvydty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:27 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Thanks everyone. Comments or criticism, don't matter to me. No real object in this, just doing this for fun. I think it will work well for the part of a mud truck....once I put some bigger tires on it. I did take it out for a dry run, and was surprised how it handled. With the weight down low, it was very stable even with a hard plastic body up top. I'm thinking it needs some metal links to give it a more mud truck look. And just as Rook82 said, sticking the Ax10 plates on it, keeps the driveshafts at a normal angle so nothing binds up, and keeps the body up high. Also thanks hvydty1 for the waterproof motor tip. I will definitely try that soon. Thanks again everyone, I'm enjoying this little project....now onto figuring out some tires....
Old 08-11-2011, 05:49 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

So I got this rig in the mud today, worked just as well as before. I did wrap the motor in a big balloon to keep the mud and muck out. That worked really well. Here's a few pics.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:13 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Lks like a fun rig!
crawler_king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:20 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I like it! The main gripe I have with R/C monster trucks is the stupid independent suspensions most have, unlike real monsters with straight axles (I know there are exceptions such as the Wheely King, etc). This is a great way to build a scale monster truck. Even as a mud truck it looks great. With a little bit of "scaling it out" it could be awesome!
papabash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:49 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Thanks guys. I have a few plans on what to do to "scale" the truck to make it look more....well, real. It will be the first time I've done something like that, but it's a good platform. I'll post more pics or questions when the time comes around.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:32 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Mud trucks is what got me into building scalers. You can make a make shift mud/splash guard for the brushed motor with some leftover clear decal sheeting and wrap it behind the motor enclosing the endbell all the way back to where the wires come out then zip tie the end after putting some marine or dielectric grease where you tie it up. It's in this month's RCDriver tips section.

However this is only for a bit more protection. I've bogged cheapo Tamiya silver cans and Traxxas Titans to a point where the mud clogged up the fan. The only problem I see is heat eventually melting the decal sheeting or the mud/water causing the adhesive to come off where you stuck it onto the motor.

Either way make sure to use a motor spray after your mud runs. Then hit it up with WD-40 around the brushes. Let it sit overnight so the WD-40 displaces as much water as possible then relube your motor bearings.
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:28 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

Damn, you "stole"my idea! I just started with my ax-10 and i was bored pretty quick, bought a honcho wich is much better. But i cant leave the ax-10 lying there, so i started to make a scaler chevy truck. I'll start posting soon. Got some great ideas and allready got the rig running.
Your rig looks great man! Will follow this thread.
Verdion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:57 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

WOW, Normaly people upgrade from a Wheely King to an AXIAL not the other way around....

just playing.

You could just use the scale chassis and figure out how to mount the tranny up front more which would raise the motor...
Twiztid Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 03:49 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the compliments guys.
Twizted Metal
It does seem like I turned an Axial into a Wheely King, and I think your on to something .
I moved the motor up onto the Scx10 frame, put on some longer driveshafts so they wouldn't slip apart. Gave it a good thrashin in the mud, and I am very happy with how it's working. With the balloon over the motor, and sitting up higher, I was able to run it a full 45 minutes without having to stop and clean the motor or gears. Here's some more pics from today.

My favorite pic

Thanks again everybody.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:29 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Looks Nice. My Girlfriend saw it and said. I want one of those, one i can play in the mud with.

so I might try and accualy find her a wheely king 4x4

and if you mounted the motor and tranny in the Stock SCX10 location, wouldnt you be able to eliminate the AX10 Chassis if you got some longer links? since you have some pretty tall shocks,

longer links and the drive shafts would help eliminate DRAG when your in the mud.... look into some 106 or 110mm links for the lowers and some 98mm links for the uppers and also mount them in the scx10 stock locations. up the body mounts or make taller ones and you may have an unbeatable bogger!

Last edited by Twiztid Metal; 08-14-2011 at 04:36 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:32 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Good call on the Wheely King for your girlfriend. Hope she likes it.

I did try the longer links, and it was complicated. Either it was a 3 link length issue, 4 link clearance or length issue, trying to get the pinion angles correct on the axles... amongst other things. The Ax10 plates keep things in line and tight. Plus I think it looks cool.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:36 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Is different, but as long as you enjoy it, its the main thing. Looks like fun in the mud.
Oz Bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:39 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

When you get that all cleaned up again get some pictures, I want to see how your current set up is looking. since you mounted the tranny in the SCX10 chassis.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:03 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

Here's some pictures I took when I first moved the motor back.

Here's a nice mud picture

If you need something more specific, let me know.