Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: custom driveshafts?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2011, 09:11 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default custom driveshafts?

Hello, so i put my rock-force axles in my wreckluse chassis and bought a comp crawler trans so i have f/r dig and im not thrilled with the losi drive shafts but the problem is the output on the losi trans is 4mm(i believe) and on my axles 6mm(i believe) and there isant much clearance on the transmission end for my rock force u joints (dia. wise). So i figured id ask and see if any one has run into something similar or has a solution for it .I just want some metal u joints that dont snap(5mins into first test run) or make so much noise like the losi's did. any help greatly appreciated i want to get this thing moving im sick of looking at it sit
xiteamxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2011, 09:42 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiteamxi View Post
Hello, so i put my rock-force axles in my wreckluse chassis and bought a comp crawler trans so i have f/r dig and im not thrilled with the losi drive shafts but the problem is the output on the losi trans is 4mm(i believe) and on my axles 6mm(i believe) and there isant much clearance on the transmission end for my rock force u joints (dia. wise). So i figured id ask and see if any one has run into something similar or has a solution for it .I just want some metal u joints that dont snap(5mins into first test run) or make so much noise like the losi's did. any help greatly appreciated i want to get this thing moving im sick of looking at it sit

Well.....

You could drill out one end of your Drive shafts to 6mm
Or......you could get your 6mm pinions milled down to 4mm
Or......you could switch to a AXIAL transmission and get some custom 6mm outputs by "Crawler Innovations....

Those are the only 3 solutions I can think of

Regards V8
v84x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:16 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by v84x4 View Post
Well.....

You could drill out one end of your Drive shafts to 6mm
well thats what i did with the stock losi ones and it worked tho they seem to break to easy,plastic centers,and the noise
Or......you could get your 6mm pinions milled down to 4mm
true if the worm gear could be fitted into a lathe
Or......you could switch to a AXIAL transmission and get some custom 6mm outputs by "Crawler Innovations....
just bought this trans. And i like the front/rear dig plus the out put on the transmission has to be low so the drive shaft can clear the links (pinion on the axles is not centered)

Those are the only 3 solutions I can think of

Regards V8
the first/second sound possible i was looking at the drive shafts on rc4wd and they have 4mm and 6mm wondering is i can get half of each and use it that way as they have splines for a slip yoke
Old 08-26-2011, 12:55 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiteamxi View Post
Not that this is a big help to your problem but the Losi trans has a 5mm output same as axial trans. I would hate for you to order custom parts for the wrong size. How about a custom pieced together mip shaft? You can get different size yolks to fit the shafts. Run a 5mm at one end and a 6mm at the other. that is a easy way to pull it off without any custom parts or headaches.

Something like this

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXXDM4&P=FR

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...C-Drive-Spline

Last edited by highlandcrawler; 08-26-2011 at 01:05 AM.
highlandcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:04 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlandcrawler View Post
Not that this is a big help to your problem but the Losi trans has a 5mm output same as axial trans. I would hate for you to order custom parts for the wrong size. How about a custom pieced together mip shaft? You can get different size yolks to fit the shafts. Run a 5mm at one end and a 6mm at the other. that is a easy way to pull it off without any custom parts or headaches.

Something like this

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXXDM4&P=FR

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...C-Drive-Spline

yea i figured id have to do something of that nature , or if i can get a collar of some sort to slide over the trans output then on the other side its 6mm and this would also move it away from the trans so my rock force shafts would work. As for the 5 mm thanks that was my second problem as i cant get the drive shaft off the transmission thos dam little set screws are striping ect.... grrr
Old 08-27-2011, 12:05 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

So id still like to use the rock force u joints as there beefy and adjusting the length is easy so i'm looking for a step up collar similar to this. http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/CLI...EZ3?Pid=search
Im still searching but figured id ask and see anyone knows a better place to look i believe i need 5mm to 6mm step up (as i still didn't get the old u joint off the losi output to measure it.. dam small set screws...) as always any input is appreciated,Thanks
Old 08-27-2011, 07:10 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

C.I. - 4340 steel - 5mm to Maxx shaft adapters
corkysk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:30 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

if any one else was interested
http://www.tcscrawlers.com/RC4WD-5mm...0-p-16417.html

or

You can either buy the Traxxas PN#4927X trans yoke (which fits a 5mm shaft) and use them with a standard Maxx axle driveshaft (which fits a 6mm shaft)....or you can use the Traxxas steel yokes that are much smaller than the Maxx yokes and fit 5mm shafts, then modify the rest of the Maxx shaft to fit the smaller steel yoke shaft. If that made any sense

Tags
comp crawler, driveshaft, losi, rockforce, u joint