Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: rc4wd truck kits?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2011, 05:46 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default rc4wd truck kits?

How is their quality and how to they compare to an axial kit? I've been out of the hobby for 8 years and am not familiar with them.
strap624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2011, 07:32 PM   #2
RCC Addict

well,they look nice and are expensive.
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:40 PM   #3
www.ottsix.com

Axial makes very good quality products which are highly upgradable for a very reasonalbe price. With RC4WD, you can think of their axles as "finished products" in other words, there's not much upgrading needed as a rule of thumb...so I guess it depends on what you want to get out of the hobby and/or how much time and money you have to spend on it.

(EDIT: These are the most general of terms. Many will say, and I agree, that Axial products are great and ready to go right out of the box...which makes them "finished products" as well)

Last edited by crawl-o-matic; 08-29-2011 at 08:46 PM.
crawl-o-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:57 PM   #4
K_B
I wanna be Dave

RC4WD stuff is more "show" than "go". Their stuff is probably more expensive because of materials and labor involved. But Axial stuff performs better. If it were me, I'd get an Axial kit and dress it up with RC4WD parts. I just saw their Poison Spyder diff covers for the Wraith; they look awesome.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:08 PM   #5
www.ottsix.com

"more show than go"? I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. If anything, RC4WD axles are over built.
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_B View Post
RC4WD stuff is more "show" than "go". Their stuff is probably more expensive because of materials and labor involved. But Axial stuff performs better. If it were me, I'd get an Axial kit and dress it up with RC4WD parts. I just saw their Poison Spyder diff covers for the Wraith; they look awesome.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:22 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

as with any truck they have their ups and downs. i have a tfinder kit and my friend a honcho we got our trucks the same day. he hasnt put a penny into it or changed a thing unless he wanted to i on the other hand have broken and replaced alot of parts and changed a ton of things. with that being said i now have a truck that is super solid and out preforms his honcho in almost every way. yes i have a ton more money into it than he does almost 3 times as much but i feel i have a better truck over all. its all about what you want. He says hes super jealous of my truck because of how it looks and how solid it is not having any plastic on the truck other than axle housings. initially i was jealous of how care free his truck was but now i would take my truck over anything

I would spell check and type correctly but i just spent 12 hours on the flight line so i dont care lol
the_ocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:07 PM   #7
www.ottsix.com

what exactly did you bust on those axles? just wondering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_ocho View Post
as with any truck they have their ups and downs. i have a tfinder kit and my friend a honcho we got our trucks the same day. he hasnt put a penny into it or changed a thing unless he wanted to i on the other hand have broken and replaced alot of parts and changed a ton of things. with that being said i now have a truck that is super solid and out preforms his honcho in almost every way. yes i have a ton more money into it than he does almost 3 times as much but i feel i have a better truck over all. its all about what you want. He says hes super jealous of my truck because of how it looks and how solid it is not having any plastic on the truck other than axle housings. initially i was jealous of how care free his truck was but now i would take my truck over anything

I would spell check and type correctly but i just spent 12 hours on the flight line so i dont care lol
Old 08-29-2011, 10:09 PM   #8
www.ottsix.com

12 hrs at 90+ degrees...not many could pull that off
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_ocho View Post

Old 08-30-2011, 07:12 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

I've got a Honcho & a Gelande. The gelande performs well and the few plastic parts on it, RC4WD offers metal upgrade for it & the Defender body that it was initially made for has a lot of vendors makeing cool scale things for that body specifically. But I do have probably 3 times as much money in it & while it's not 3 times better performance wise, it is a much more unique truck than the SCX10 but not as user friendly as far as building the truck. Axial customer support & forum support & instructions are a little more user friendly, especially for someone new to the hobby.

You can't argue with the bang for the buck factor with an SCX10. IMO, it's the best truck if your new to scale crawlers, it is relativley affordable, durable, has lots of upgrade potential, options for kit or RTR (BTW, RC4WD kits are not really kits, they just don't have electronics), they have good instructions (there are no instructions for the gelande), they're fun to drive and they look cool.
DRW-FJ40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:32 AM   #10
RCC Addict

How would their ring and pinions hold up in a ttc style truck? Can they take some abuse?
adamargue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:25 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawl-o-matic View Post
"more show than go"? I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. If anything, RC4WD axles are over built.
And I would have to disagree. Maybe with the Blackwells or with some of the metal case axles but their standard T60 and T44s are plastic garbage. I have broke ever Trex 60 I have had and have watched other club members have the same issues, cracked cases, gears wear is unbelievably high and their 4 link mount system sucks up so much travel space y=they need to be the first thing you throw away.

WHen you buy an Axial RTR kit in is literally ready to have a battery put in it and bash, though I would always recommend that you get the kit and build it from scratch.

The RC4WD kits come either partially assembled or fully assembled. The very first thing you have to do is fully tear them down and rebuild and lock-tite everything or your first run will result in multiple broken and bent mounts and screws.
neillarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:13 AM   #12
RCC Addict

I've broke axle stubs on my d35's. I've seen their rockwells break axles all day. I've trashed ring and pinions. Don't get me wrong, the machine quality it good, parts look nice they just don't hold up to my driving style. Axial stuff is more forgiving, and the parts are easier to obtain if you do break something. Almost all rc's are going to have a week point and at sometime will require upgrades.
klabeaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:23 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Rc4wd seems to be great at making "scale" parts. But, like the others said.. They are more show than go. In some of the rc4wd truck kits they sell, they include an extra set of plastic axle housings for the t-rex axles. What does that tell you? The stuff looks great and would be the best for a shelf queen truck.

Use Axial parts if you want to beat it up.
Die-Laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:00 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

truth be told, I don't run my RC4WD near as hard as my SCX10 because it cost 3 times as much. I do enjoy it but they aren't for everybody.

The SCX10 is a great scaler/basher, hands down which is part of why it's so popular.
DRW-FJ40 is offline   Reply With Quote