Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Is there such a thing as too much articulation?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2011, 09:58 PM   #1

Default Is there such a thing as too much articulation?

So over the last couple days i've cobbled together a 4 link setup for my old clodbuster aiming for maximum suspension travel and articulation and I've got it so the front axle will twist damn near 90 degrees away from the rear axle with one set of tires on the ground.

Is this too much? not enough or just right? Depending on my shock mounts I could get a bit more or less.
Meatbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2011, 10:09 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

While I'm sure this topic is debatable, I think most would agree that you can have too much and 90 degrees would fall into that category. Too much flex seemed to get mybrig bound up in larger rocks, limiting it a bit helped me to carry a tire over a gap that I would have normally fallen into. I could probably use a touch more flex than what I currently run, the common consensus seems to be about a soda cans worth of flex.
day215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:33 PM   #3
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by day215 View Post
the common consensus seems to be about a soda cans worth of flex.
Thats about right. Too much flex and you'll twist your rig into a bind instead of climbing over or around.

The pop can measurement is good for 2.2's, but a super would need more and a mini would need less.

Typically I'll set mine up so that the flex equals the tire height. Meaning that if I'm running Rovers, I'll give it enough flex to clear a Rover. If I'm running Flat Irons, I'll give it enough to clear a Flat Iron.

Last edited by Duuuuuuuude; 09-08-2011 at 10:37 PM.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:50 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

To echo what others have said, too much will get you into situations you can't get out of.

Good rule of thumb Duuuuude guy
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:51 PM   #5
www.ottsix.com

I my mind, too much flex equals loss of downward force on the "upside" tire.
crawl-o-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Thats about right. Too much flex and you'll twist your rig into a bind instead of climbing over or around.

The pop can measurement is good for 2.2's, but a super would need more and a mini would need less.

Typically I'll set mine up so that the flex equals the tire height. Meaning that if I'm running Rovers, I'll give it enough flex to clear a Rover. If I'm running Flat Irons, I'll give it enough to clear a Flat Iron.
Good to know. I'm a complete noob to crawling so i gave it as much flex as i could. this was the result.

I guess i'll have to adjust the shocks and shock mounts to limit the flex then right?
Old 09-08-2011, 10:52 PM   #7
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatbag
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad
You guys related?
Old 09-08-2011, 10:55 PM   #8
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatbag View Post
I guess i'll have to adjust the shocks and shock mounts to limit the flex then right?
Yup. You can also use fuel tubing to limit shock travel.

This is what you want.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:56 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
You guys related?
We are of no relation sir. Only in the meat contents.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
We are of no relation sir. Only in the meat contents.
Distant cousins at best. lol
Old 09-08-2011, 10:58 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
You guys related?
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:59 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

"bagWad" comes to mind
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:05 PM   #13

Duuuude, I can just take out one of the cans from my last pic to make that happen. so i need to cut out that much suspension travel? lol, I'm gonna need shorter shocks.

Last edited by Meatbag; 09-08-2011 at 11:06 PM. Reason: grammar kicks my ass
Old 09-08-2011, 11:18 PM   #14

Or i could get to work on that self leveling c02 gas shock system i've been thinking of. damn this hobby is a money pit.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:29 PM   #15
Suck it up!

Quote:
Duuuude, I can just take out one of the cans from my last pic to make that happen. so i need to cut out that much suspension travel? lol, I'm gonna need shorter shocks.
It depends, are you building a 2.2 or super? If its a 2.2 then you want pretty close to the pic I posted, if its a super, you'll want more.

If you're happy with your ride height, keep the shocks you have and limit them. The shocks I used in the pic are 4" Losi's limited inside and out.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:32 PM   #16
Keep it real

45-60* is a good goal to shoot for, that usually results in the height of the tire or so, which is a good base.
Instead of shorter shocks, like Dude said, put some fuel tubing on your shock shafts to limit how far they compress
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:45 PM   #17

Quote:
It depends, are you building a 2.2 or super? If its a 2.2 then you want pretty close to the pic I posted, if its a super, you'll want more.

If you're happy with your ride height, keep the shocks you have and limit them. The shocks I used in the pic are 4" Losi's limited inside and out.
I'm just building something to have fun with and crawl random things I come across. Basically i would like this thing to be able to crawl whatever rock pile/gravel pit/ landslide i come across with reasonable results. I'm never going to try and compete with this thing for the same reason I'll never try and compete with my stampede 4x4 (what with a good chunk of rc entusiasts being what they are, lol)

Basically I want something to rip over big rocks, cars, dead bodies and the like. I've got a lot of info to work with. thanks all.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:20 AM   #18
RCC Addict

You could always try and running it as it is. See how it goes and then make some changes. It will help you see what modifications do what. Some times real world testing is better then theory. Some things look like they shouldn't work but they do or fit the driving style of the pilot. And some people have something set some way just because that is how they want it and do not care about general consensus.

What I have found is in order of what others have said here. Enough flex for the height tires you are running is a good measure. But some people run a short tire with a long wheelbase so being able to flex that tire on a longer wheelbase equals less flex then if it were a shorter rig. Look up ramp travel index if you want more info on how that is measured. May not find much on it in this forum as it is mainly used for 1:1 vehicles.

I would try running it and make some changes if you want or have time. it is all about the testing. And every rig and driver is different.

Good luck
Rook82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 12:08 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:

x2 That right there is all you need.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:08 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Is that actualy Lucky Lager beer? I haven't seen a can of that since 20 years ago when I was in high school.
Cave Dave is offline   Reply With Quote