Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Axial vs RC4WD

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2011, 12:44 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Axial vs RC4WD

Im thinking of buying another crawler but not sure if I should get an RC4WD or another Axial? What does every one think? Thanks.
PileDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2011, 01:11 PM   #2
RCC Addict

AXIAL , great products, good prices, durable, aftermarket support,
excellent C.S.

RC4WD, pricey, very scale,

i have owened several from each manufacturer, all my RC4wd are sold and all my Axials are still used. this is just my opinion.
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:25 PM   #3
I joined the Band!

it depends on price you have to spend and what are you doing with them comp. just for fun...
bayareaaxial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:33 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I stay with Axial for truck kits
&
RC4WD for parts, wheels and scale items

I have a SCX10 with a toyota shell, still bone stock, no upgrades. I take it to RECON comps, still going strong.
same shocks, C's, knuckles, drivelines & trany outputs
I think i have got lucky on plastic C's & knuckles though
prusik333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:16 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PileDriver View Post
Im thinking of buying another crawler but not sure if I should get an RC4WD or another Axial? What does every one think? Thanks.
Axial without a doubt!
DiggyStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:01 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Axial actually responds to emails.

It took me 3 months and multiple emails to receive a spare screw from RC4WD for Scorcher wheels
daign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:07 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by prusik333 View Post
I stay with Axial for truck kits
&
RC4WD for parts, wheels and scale items

I have a SCX10 with a toyota shell, still bone stock, no upgrades. I take it to RECON comps, still going strong.
same shocks, C's, knuckles, drivelines & trany outputs
I think i have got lucky on plastic C's & knuckles though

^^^ this
dblrnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:23 PM   #8
RCC Addict

I say Axial is "Go"

and

RC4WD is "Show"
Die-Laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:32 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Go with axial.
Honchoforever1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:47 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by daign View Post
Axial actually responds to emails.

It took me 3 months and multiple emails to receive a spare screw from RC4WD for Scorcher wheels
RC4WD has always been fast to respond to me. They answered me in about a day on here when I had an issue with my XR gears. By email it was less than a day.

It is always possible with emails that spam filters block them or something else happens.

I agree with the notion RC4WD for parts and Axial for trucks as well.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:58 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

axial is for having fun

rc4wd is for wasting money, and wishing you bought an axial.
Mega Fattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:19 PM   #12

axial.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:05 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Looks like my choice was a good one! Looks like i will be going axial.
rangercat23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:15 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Some people do this hobby for something other then the normal go out and run the rigs, working on getting the best performance, etc. Most people like to do mods that make them reliable or better performing. But there is a ultra scale/modeling side to all of this as well. It shows on many rigs here. Some people are just further to the side of this hobby where the looks and being realistic is them main thing they are after. They will buy or build the smallest details to replicate what the 1:1 vehicle is. I think that is the crowd that gets the most out of the RC4WD rigs. An SCX10 or Tamiya can be very scale, but honestly the most scale (widely available) rigs are the RC4wd. They may not be as durable or perform as well as some others (not always the case). But for someone looking for looks and realistic, look at the RC4WD toyota axles for instance. They are an incredible copy of the popular full size versions. The Axial axles do not look like anything 1:1 but they do look like and actual full size strait axle, just not as scale. There are examples in every part of the rigs from transfer cases to motors, to wheels/tires. RC4WD makes or distributes some of the most realistic and scale things out there.

But if you want to build a bulletproof rig that can really perform then an Axial based rig is honestly much better. There are so many options on what you can do or buy or build for them to increase performance and reliability. For example you can look online and probably find 6 different lockers for the axles as well as an equal or higher amount of axle shafts. I am not aware of much of any thing being available for most RC4WD stuff other then stock replacements. Look at the tranys. With the Axial you can get different cases (metal or plastic) different internal gears, outputs, motor mounts, slipper or no slipper. All based on the same design. Not the case with the RC4WD.

It is all just what you want with the rig. if you really want to build a realistic version of a full size, often times RC4WD would be a good/great choice. But if you want a rig to really run and bash and have fun with and be able to quickly get replacement parts then an Axial is much better.

All just my opinion so take it as you will. Other people may feel differently and that is cool as well.
Rook82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 10:44 PM   #15

axial parts are all quality,rc4wd are cheap and cant handle heavy abuse.
Tydes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:04 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tydes View Post
axial parts are all quality,rc4wd are cheap and cant handle heavy abuse.
Seriously, please know what you are talking about before posting.

RC4WD makes some very nice parts and Axial makes some crappy ones as well. Neither is perfect, both have their fit in the marketplace.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:44 PM   #17

Axial= beat the SHT out of me and it wont complain

RC4WD= can still beat the shit out of but will beg for mercy

All jokes aside my friend's rc4wd trail stomper broke everytime he took it out, it was slow as hell and the freaking axle broke! i think the car is a joke but i still love the tires

Last edited by steelbed; 10-09-2011 at 05:47 PM.
steelbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:54 PM   #18
www.ottsix.com

I run Bully axles and after untold hours, they're still flawless. On the other hand, I just got a Trail Stomper for $300 and busted both drive shafts and the two spare driveshafts during the first run. I emailed them that night and when I checked my email at 5:30am the next day, I already heard back from them. They offered me half off some Punisher shafts. The rest of the rig is to good to be true for only $300 (IMO) so I declined their offter.

Now, with all of this being said, I've heard similar stories about Axial, Venom, New Age, Red Cat, etc, etc, etc.

So is one better than the other??????????? Who really knows......
crawl-o-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:18 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

imho axial is a great company and with sum to alot of money u can make it a very capable rig [this depends on what u want out of the rig. example: xr-10 in stock form very capable but the axles can be a weak point depending on the driving style. but with sum aftermarket item on them [vp, rc4wd,ect...] there very strong and can take quite a beating and still remain light weight.

now for rc4wd good company but customer support can lack at sum time other times its right up there with the best of them. there comp crawler selection is smaller than axail but still very capable [with the right mods and chassis selection] the bully axles come in three compounds [cast,machined and alum] as far as a basher the cast are the best bang for the buck imho the machined is a ok comp worthy axle, and the alum axle setup with the right mods done to them are very strong[bullet proof] and also very capable. all three axles are bomb proof and will last forever but often to heavy for sum ppl and the after market for them is very limited so there more a builders axle cus u have to make or customize them so they will work the way u want.

i hope this helps
poor_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:30 PM   #20

id say buy a kit from axial and stick to rc4wd for the parts. there parts are great but there trucks are too scale to have any fun with
jsommers is offline   Reply With Quote