RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   General Crawlers (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-crawlers/)
-   -   Flying with your crawler (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-crawlers/341678-flying-your-crawler.html)

D18EGG 10-10-2011 04:40 PM

Flying with your crawler

Hi guys I have a chance of flying over to Miami Florida for a wee 4 day visit ,while my good lady works I was interested in meeting up and having a crawl may be .
Dose any one know what the script is when flying and booking in a crawler as hand luggage or would it go in the hold , I would try to bring my lipos too
Any info would be great
I've never been to america before and coming from Scotland I thought this would be a great laugh , especially when the misses is working lol

JeremyH 10-10-2011 05:32 PM

I have flown several times (and actually gone through customs as well) and never had a problem. You can carry on everything you'd like besides your tools and any bottles of fluid (like shock oil)....pack those.

D18EGG 10-11-2011 03:15 PM

What about the lipos do they need to be in a fire sack??
Is there many good places to crawl in Miami "thumbsup"

Mr Glassman 10-11-2011 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D18EGG (Post 3322127)
Is there many good places to crawl in Miami "thumbsup"

They dont need to be in a fire sack to fly domestic. Just need to be individually bagged (i just use ziplocs) and doesnt hurt to put a piece of tape on the plug.

Lipos have to be carried on (can't be in check in)

1320Fastback 10-11-2011 05:00 PM

A lot of RC air folk will FedEx or UPS their stuff ahead of time and pick up when they land.

Your flying from Scotland so you'd have to figure out a carrier that is going to the same airport and arrive after your package.

Returning is the same. Mail it the day before and pick up at airport when you land.

This leaves your carry on open for your necessities and wont put you over the weight limit for checked bags.

JeremyH 10-11-2011 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D18EGG (Post 3322127)

They dont need it (cell phones and laptops use similar batteries), but it is always a good idea to store them in a firesafe bag. It also shows the TSA agents that you are being cautious."thumbsup"

crawl-o-matic 10-11-2011 06:41 PM

I've never heard of anything like this...you sure about it???
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Glassman (Post 3322184)
Lipos have to be carried on (can't be in check in)

Highlucks 10-12-2011 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crawl-o-matic (Post 3322452)
I've never heard of anything like this...you sure about it???

Positive. All lipo's must be in your carry on luggage. These rules are standard acroos 99.9% of airlines.

As taken from the Delta Baggage conditions.

Dangerous Goods restrictions at delta.com

Quote:

Lithium Batteries

It’s okay to travel with consumer electronic and medical devices (e.g. watches, calculators, cameras, cell phones, laptops, camcorders, hearing aids, etc.) containing lithium cells or batteries. All spare lithium batteries not housed in electrical devices must be in carry-on baggage only and individually protected to prevent short circuits.
Tips to properly transport spare lithium batteries:
  • Pack spare batteries in carry-on baggage.
  • Keep spare batteries in the original retail packaging to prevent unintentional activation or short-circuiting.
  • If original packaging is not available, effectively insulate battery terminals by isolating spare batteries from contact with other batteries and/or metal.
  • Specifically, place each battery in its own protective case, plastic bag, or package or place tape across the battery's contacts to isolate terminals.
  • Take steps to prevent crushing, puncturing, or putting a high degree of pressure on the battery, as this can cause an internal short circuit, resulting in overheating.
  • Learn more about traveling with batteries by reading the DOT's Safe Travel information at www.safetravel.dot.gov.

crawl-o-matic 10-12-2011 07:47 PM

wow..I'm glad you guys find stuff like this, I had no clue about it (I'm flying out next month with my crawler so this is solid gold info for me!)"thumbsup"

DRCrawlGood 10-12-2011 07:50 PM

Just think would you rather a lipo go up in flames in the cargo hold or the overhead compartment where it can be quickly distinguished.