Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: so what to do......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2011, 09:23 PM   #1

Default so what to do......

so i picked up an ax 10 rtc about 3-4 months ago and definitely have the rc bug. and my question is this..... i have a buddy that is looking for a crawler. do i sell him the ax10 rtc that i left stock sofar, except for 14/84 tooth pinion/spur gears, 4800 2c lips, hb rovers (super soft ones) which i'll be keeping by the way..and take a little loss and go get an Wraith kit which i was checking out at the LHS before i keep adding parts on this crawler.
lil red wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2011, 09:34 PM   #2

ive come to the idea that i want something in between these to and just not sure what way to go.... what i have in mind is
a little more belly height maby 1/2"-1" more than the rtc has
more speed thinking 35turn with the 20/84t gears
front tires not to rub link at lock

i donno just looking for ideas/comments or such

im assuming way less flex w/ Wraith over ax10

Last edited by lil red wagon; 10-10-2011 at 09:36 PM. Reason: to change it
Old 10-10-2011, 09:59 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Well those two trucks are very different. The AX-10 is a comp style crawler so it is built more for performance and less for scale realism. The Wraith is a scaler so it is built more for scale realism than for outright performance.

You will have to decide what direction you want to go, most of us dabble in both scale and comp crawling, and go from there. In my opinion if you plan on crawling together having rigs that are similar (both scale or comp) will make it more fun to crawl together.

If you arent competing I really think scalers are the way to go, you can build and modify as if it was a real truck...Makes it a lot of fun. Also since they arent quite as capable as the comp crawlers they are fun to drive everywhere, the comp crawlers need harder obstacles to make them fun.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:23 PM   #4

i dont see me using the truck for comps anytime soon. i will be spending most of my wheeling time out in the bush and around when i go 1:1 4x4ing. im just thinking that ill be disapointed with the lack of travel in the wraith. (but that is just a few small tweeks to fix up im sure)
i do have a few friends with ax10's so i dont know if the change will work against me. im into the technical lines but thinking being different and some wheel speed might not kill me...
Old 10-10-2011, 10:28 PM   #5

i was gonna order a gatekeeper chassis 2morrow, just wanna be sure im all in with the ax10 before i do.

anybody ever raise their ride height in a RTC
Old 10-10-2011, 10:33 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil red wagon View Post
i was gonna order a gatekeeper chassis 2morrow, just wanna be sure im all in with the ax10 before i do.

anybody ever raise their ride height in a RTC
Check out the AX10 subforum. There are a bunch of great build threads in there. Most people seem to keep the belly between 2.5 and 3".
opek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:37 PM   #7
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil red wagon View Post
...and take a little loss...
No matter where you go, or what you do in this hobby, you will take a little loss. Accept that and you will sleep better at night.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:38 PM   #8
RCC Addict

that is a tough question... a buddy of mine has an ax10 rtc with a bunch of mods done to it (7950 servo,4linked rear,weighted sedona's and lots of tweaking of the shocks) and i have a honcho and we crawl together all the time.. now obviously he can out crawl me hands down but i'll still try the same lines as him..

i think its fun for my friend and i to have different rigs because we'll swap rigs for a while then swap back, we both have hpi nitro savage's too. this hobby isnt for making money so i say sell it to him and buy a wraith kit.

a little off topic but same concept- i race lawnmowers also as another hobby and its not a money making thing.. my cousin wanted to get into racing and since he's from the city my dad and i wouldve had to build his mower for him and we were'nt really excited about it so i sold my mower to him for 200 bucks (i have 500 bucks into building it) and i bought another race ready mower for 400 bucks so i lost 200 bucks but i figured whatever not in the hobby to make money..
AX10wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:06 AM   #9

leaning towards getting the gatekeeper chassis put on order tomorrow. hard not to when chassis/links/skidplate for $70 or links for $40!? and if im gonna do that i might just sneek a 35turn motor in on myself also. might have to back the pinion gear down a tooth or 2 tho. a set of rc4wd's tsl boggers for the dirt/trail runs on the next payday? who knows...
Old 10-11-2011, 06:46 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

i was i the same boat. ax10 or wraith. i went wraith since most of my crawling is really not that hard. the wraith has good speed and my 9 year old daughter loves it. the wraith is more scale (ish) and it appeals to me more as a former 1-1 crawler. the comp style rigs are nice, and can be amazing at the places they will go, but it's alot more fun getting there with a scaler. i personally was going to buy a scx-10 honcho, but when i got to the lhs they had sold the only one they had that morning. the wraith ws behind the counter as they hadn't put it on the shelves yet!

now with that said, i've lowered my wraith down some. installed beadlock wheels with weights in the front tires. tsl sx tires. 35 turn integy motor (until my brxl esc and 13t crawlmaster get here). titanium links and steering from vp. one of my friends has a ax10 rtc and i can go places he can't. once he starts modding his up he will probably beat me, but not now! and with the more driving time i get, the better the wraith performs.
hoghead5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:54 PM   #11

so i think that i changed my mind agian. now im thinking i want a wraith... as i would use it more often as a trail rig not so much a dedicated crawler. and seeing how i found a wraith rtr for $320 might be time to switch over.....

I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO....
wraith now and moa rig in future?????
somebody wanna talk me thru this.... JK