Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Some questions regarding Tundra Highlift

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2011, 10:15 PM   #1

Default Some questions regarding Tundra Highlift

Hello all,

Im new to this forum and I need some helps regarding my new high lift tundra:
1. On the specifications the Tamiya MFC-02 only compatible with the stock 540 motor, if I have a regular Tekin T35 motor will the MFC-02 compatible?
2. whats the best battery for this truck? Brand?type?
3. If the MFC-02 wont work with the Tekin T35, what ESC should I get that works best?

really appreciate for the help guys, thanks
antzz_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2011, 06:30 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by antzz_87 View Post
Hello all,

Im new to this forum and I need some helps regarding my new high lift tundra:
1. On the specifications the Tamiya MFC-02 only compatible with the stock 540 motor, if I have a regular Tekin T35 motor will the MFC-02 compatible?
2. whats the best battery for this truck? Brand?type?
3. If the MFC-02 wont work with the Tekin T35, what ESC should I get that works best?

really appreciate for the help guys, thanks
That Tekin motor is a 540 sized motor....so that ESC should handle that motor just fine.

As for the battery, are you looking for a lipo or a NiMH pack?
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
That Tekin motor is a 540 sized motor....so that ESC should handle that motor just fine.

As for the battery, are you looking for a lipo or a NiMH pack?
thanks for the help JeremyH, to my understanding so far, Lipo is better than Nimh right? if yes than ill go with the lipo probably. Sorry, im new to the rc world still on the learning process.
antzz_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:23 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

A LiPo provides more power from less cells but is known to be shorter lasting. I run 3cell LiPo's in my rigs and sometimes i think that theyre going to fly off!!
rockpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:55 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
thanks for the help JeremyH, to my understanding so far, Lipo is better than Nimh right? if yes than ill go with the lipo probably. Sorry, im new to the rc world still on the learning process.
Yes, they are lighter, smaller and provide more current than a traditional NiMH pack. HOWEVER, you need to make sure that your electronics can handle lipos. You will need a charger that can handle Lipo and a balancer is highly recommended. You will also need an ESC that can cutoff the voltage at ~3.0V/cell (or an external Low Voltage Cutoff...or some other means of stopping the truck at that voltage).

After you decide if Lipo is for you or not, the best thing to do is measure the location where you want to place your pack and find one that meets those specifications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockpanda View Post
A LiPo provides more power from less cells but is known to be shorter lasting. I run 3cell LiPo's in my rigs and sometimes i think that theyre going to fly off!!
Well, not really shorter lasting, but since you are not supposed to drop the voltage in a lipo to any less than 3.0V/cell, they will cut off sooner than a NiMH pack.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:01 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
If your new & learning, you may want to stay away from lipo with the MFC-02. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a lipo cutoff. It depends on where your skills & interest is. i.e. Do you like to mess with electronics, mechanics or scale appearance/paint, etc.? The Tamiya MFC-02 unit is designed to work with the highlift kit, stock motor & Futaba attack am radio with analog trims. People have got it to work with all kinds of other electronics but if you want plug and play performance out of that system, you'll get it by following the reccomended electronics. That said, going from a 27T motor to 35T shouldn't make much difference. But if you choose to go lipo, you will want to research that option with the MFC-02 which is hard because it's an expensive unit & there are probably not a lot of people who've put lipos with it. Whereas you ask about lipos in a wraith or SCX10 and you'll get all the info you want and then some.

Also, that truck scores 10 on scale but it doesn't perform anywhere close to the CR01 or SCX10. I'm not trying to talk you out of it, I have one & it's a cool truck but it's not as much fun to drive off road as some others in my opinion. My only point in mentioning this is lipo is a high performance battery. The highlift is not a high performance chassis, at least for scale crawling.

Last edited by DRW-FJ40; 11-02-2011 at 08:07 AM.
DRW-FJ40 is offline   Reply With Quote