Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Direct me to search terms and technical jargon regarding link length!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2011, 12:27 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Direct me to search terms and technical jargon regarding link length!

I'm trying to find information about how changing the lower link length (wheelbase remains constant) affects suspension design and tuning. I can only find people discussing prefab kits for Jeeps when searching for long arm or short arm suspension.

What kind of words should I be plugging into Google to get this information! Thanks! Are there good, scientific, definitive books on the 4 link? Which ones should I read? Thanks a million!
opek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2011, 02:19 PM   #2
Proverbial threadkiller

four link design

This page has a bunch of measuring info on it and reccomendations on some books to look out for. With the small measurements (and equally small adjustments) we use in R/C, this may get to be a rather tedious and largely academic study.

I was searching for info on triangulation, but have reverted back to a more neanderthal approach of just makin' what I'm thinkin' of and see if it flies.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 03:33 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

In specific, right now, I'm curious about short lower links vs. long lower links - a short skidplate vs. a long skidplate. That is a pretty specific part of the suspension and I do have lots of other thoughts and questions, so I would really like a big and fat technical resource I can pour some time into. More learning always produces more questions.

I'm no math whizz but I don't mind getting dirty and am not turned off when I have to skim some sections I cannot understand. So point me towards the interesting and challenging stuff!

Thanks again!
Old 10-24-2011, 07:20 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

I haven't seen any books specifically about multi link suspensions, most suspension design books seem to be about on road vehicles. This seems like the most general book to discuss some o the information I'm interested in, but I would love some input! I will probably head to one of the local university's libraries after work to check them out. Even if there are no answers in the book (which I assume there aren't) I would like to know why there are no answers or why I am trying out a bunch of different parts and settings.

http://www.amazon.com/Terramechanics...9462231&sr=1-1

Last edited by opek; 10-24-2011 at 07:26 AM.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:15 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Don't know if it helps, but how I start to lay out my real rigs.
http://mysite.verizon.net/triaged/fi...rLinkV3.1d.zip
JKMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote