Notices

Thread: Something new from Axial, the Axial EXO Terra Buggy! AX90015

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 04:40 PM   #621
Come and take them!®

Default Re: Something new from Axial, the Axial EXO Terra Buggy! AX90015

Quote:
Originally Posted by t9dragon View Post
What type of extinguisher are you using?
You want to use a extinguisher that is rated Class B, C for liquids, grease and electrical. Class A is for wood and trash. Make sure you read and familiarize yourself with directions on use prior to going out to play. The best thing to use on lipo's on fire is sand, and lots of it.
Hunter711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-29-2012, 05:09 PM   #622
Quarry Creeper

The using of the sand on a lipo is good to know when I am at the beach bashing but I think I will pick up and extinguisher for the house.
t9dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:22 PM   #623
Come and take them!®

Quote:
Originally Posted by t9dragon View Post
The using of the sand on a lipo is good to know when I am at the beach bashing but I think I will pick up and extinguisher for the house.
We all should have a couple. Inexpensive and could save lives and property.
Hunter711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:23 PM   #624
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig Rocker View Post
You guys that put $10 batteries in a $1500 rig are just crazy!!!!!

Especially if it's a rig like an Exo that the battery cannot simply be ripped out of. Step up and spend some cash on a couple of high quality packs versus several of hobbyking's or similar.
Ask DanW about lipo fires. He has experience with ripping them from burning rigs!!!

The best thing to take out when RC'ing is one or two small buckets of sand. Just dump it on the rig and the fire is done. I tried this after an RC'ing Ranger talked to me about the method while crawling in the santa cruz mtns. That weekend, I punctured a 3S hobbyking pack and let it start up the fireworks. Then dumped 1 gallon of sand directly on it. Fire stopped, damage controlled. Somebody should do a video since there are so many cheap, crappy packs out there.
All the lipo cells come from china. If you're willing to spend 10x to have the same cells soldered and put together in wrap here in the USA more power to ya, but you're not going to have any better luck. A lipo is a lipo. It could have happened with a $200 US battery.
daign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:27 PM   #625
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
!!! This is a WARNING !!!

If you are fortunate to have the money to buy and build an Exo in these hard economic times, then for god's sake, buy quality packs!!!

I've had at least 5 cheap packs go bad and have seen two of them go up in fireworks and flames. This was common when people were making up their own brushless conversions and pushing their 1/8 scale brushless buggies and truggies to the limit. Cheap battery means cheap build. It can be so simple that the cheap builder did not put any dowel or insulation in between the contacts on cells. Then one hard impact on rig, and you have contact! The kind you don't want!
I have never seen a Maxamps pack get damaged or go bad, and I have owned many of them. I am also a big fan of anything that Chris at Cheap Battery Packs tests, and recommends. He knows his chit!

So if you can afford a "Super Car", don't put dirty, cheap gas in it!!!
Maxamps on fire.
Yokomo RC Drift car on FIRE! part2 - YouTube

All the lipo components come from the same place folks.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:54 AM   #626

Sounds like NIMH sounds better for every day use.
Think I'm gonna stick with tried and true heavy batteries
woodsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:14 AM   #627
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsxr View Post

LMAO......
Old 03-01-2012, 10:28 AM   #628
Scale Detail Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsxr View Post
Don't be scared... all the cool kids are doing lipo now days, 1 little lipo won't hurt ya. It'll make you feel good... you'll like it. Trust me
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:51 AM   #629

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyh66 View Post
Don't be scared... all the cool kids are doing lipo now days, 1 little lipo won't hurt ya. It'll make you feel good... you'll like it. Trust me
I have a couple sitting in a fire safe!
I only bring them out after a few beers! and then We just stare at them and talk about how great they are
woodsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:35 AM   #630
I wanna be Dave

Arrow Re: Something new from Axial, the Axial EXO Terra Buggy! AX90015

If you guys want to be douchbags, I mean "Really Intelligent Persons" and install $10 batteries in a $1500 rig, the go for it

Dissect a better quality pack and a hobbyking pack and you will see exactly what I described above. Lack of quality during build. They are not all the same.

I'm all for cheap packs if they can be ripped off a rig quickly! Example: XR10 with axle mounted battery.

It's not an easy task to remove a battery from an Exo, so it's only logical to go with better quality. Do you think the Air Force or Navy use the cheapest packs they can find for their top fighter jets?? Hell no!!

If people were more honest about their experiences with cheap vs better, then it would be more obvious. But instead, a whole lot of crawlers are in love with the cheapo packs, so their opinions are biased. I have had bad cheap packs and seen a few go up in smoke. I have never had that happen with any maxamps or thunderpower, etc. They will slip from time to time and say it's 50/50 if it's good pack or not. They buy 10 and hope for the best.

If MaxAmps weren't holding up to their high standards, then my used maxamps comp packs would not have sold for premium price to reputable members, within minutes of listing being public.

Same goes for the guys who "Insist" that their towerpro or towerdpro is exactly the same quality as their hitec counterpart. That is 100% BS Buddy

Same goes for food. I know i can get a pound cheap ground beef about $4, but I'd much rather be buying ground sirloin for $7. There is a difference.

Or we can go with oil. Do you run crappy, water thin penzoil in your $15000 roller stroker motor? Hell the F No you don't! Nothing but Royal Purple or at the least Mobil1.

Should I keep going?

Okay, you go to Mexico, or even Nevada. You see a nice brothel but the services are pricey. Then you see a street walker that keeps scratching herself everywhere, but she's really cheap. You decide!!!
Rig Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:48 AM   #631
I wanna be Dave

Arrow Re: Something new from Axial, the Axial EXO Terra Buggy! AX90015

Quote:
Originally Posted by daign View Post
Maxamps on fire.
Yokomo RC Drift car on FIRE! part2 - YouTube[/URL]

All the lipo components come from the same place folks.

Sure they do. From Korea. But different qualities as with anything else that is manufactured on Earth.

That fire video is BS too. I'm calling that one a kid who doesn't have a low voltage cutoff.
I'm not saying you have to buy expensive packs. Buy what you can afford. But if you can afford to build up an Exo-Terra then you can afford to buy a couple of good packs to power it. Don't buy a Sweet 70 SS Chevelle with no motor, if you have no job or way to put a motor in it. And you don't put a sixbanger in it just because it's cheap! If you can afford to buy the exo then you can afford quality packs to go with it. Anything else, and you should probably get your priorities straight before spending any more on R/C.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:54 AM   #632
Rock Crawler

Quote:
If you guys want to be douchbags, I mean "Really Intelligent Persons" and install $10 batteries in a $1500 rig, the go for it

Dissect a better quality pack and a hobbyking pack and you will see exactly what I described above. Lack of quality during build. They are not all the same.

I'm all for cheap packs if they can be ripped off a rig quickly! Example: XR10 with axle mounted battery.

It's not an easy task to remove a battery from an Exo, so it's only logical to go with better quality. Do you think the Air Force or Navy use the cheapest packs they can find for their top fighter jets?? Hell no!!

If people were more honest about their experiences with cheap vs better, then it would be more obvious. But instead, a whole lot of crawlers are in love with the cheapo packs, so their opinions are biased. I have had bad cheap packs and seen a few go up in smoke. I have never had that happen with any maxamps or thunderpower, etc. They will slip from time to time and say it's 50/50 if it's good pack or not. They buy 10 and hope for the best.

If MaxAmps weren't holding up to their high standards, then my used maxamps comp packs would not have sold for premium price to reputable members, within minutes of listing being public.

Same goes for the guys who "Insist" that their towerpro or towerdpro is exactly the same quality as their hitec counterpart. That is 100% BS Buddy

Same goes for food. I know i can get a pound cheap ground beef about $4, but I'd much rather be buying ground sirloin for $7. There is a difference.

Or we can go with oil. Do you run crappy, water thin penzoil in your $15000 roller stroker motor? Hell the F No you don't! Nothing but Royal Purple or at the least Mobil1.

Should I keep going?

Okay, you go to Mexico, or even Nevada. You see a nice brothel but the services are pricey. Then you see a street walker that keeps scratching herself everywhere, but she's really cheap. You decide!!!
Rig Rocker, I don't think anyone here will deny that you get what you pay for. More you spend the better quality the product will be. What it comes down to is value per dollar based off the users needs. I run NanoTech batteries from Turnigy and have never had an issue. To me they work well, keeps some funds in the wallet and have great reviews from Air users. Also I am sure that more Turnigy batteries are in use today than Maxamps just do to pure cost. My guess is that if you based your numbers on percentage of failures rather than actual number of failures between the two it would be very equal.
I could buy a Maxamp for 2.5 or 3x the price and I would if I needed the small increases in performance for real racing. Im sure they use some higher end components, but is it really more reliable? and for what application. A Ferrari has some high end goodies, but would it last in stop and go LA traffic in the middle of summer? Not for 200k miles like a cheap Toyota corolla would.
Propane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:00 PM   #633
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Should I keep going?

Why don't you buy each of use a Maxamp lipo so that we can compare it to the different lipos we all use????
Old 03-01-2012, 12:13 PM   #634
RCC Addict

I can't believe this turned into a lipo fire thread... what is this, 2004?

Sorry Rig Rocker, this is the first thread in a long time of someone supporting Maxamps. I have been truggy racing with HK FlightMaxes in my 1/8 MBX6T for 3 seasons on the same 4s packs! All 4 of my packs are a huge performance upgrade from my maxamps batteries. I even had a couple Hyperion lipos as well (very good), but sold them because of the size.... I run HK lipos in my bashers as well. Never had a problem.

Ask anyone at MA's for a true C test! They cannot supply accurate data, and when a non-bias third party does bench testing, a maxamp battery falls towards the bottom of performance. This is just one long thread:
MaxAmps Race Edition Lipos - RC-Monster Forums

If you want to buy a 'quality" pack. I suggest you look into the Hyperion G3s. Still half the cost of a Maxamps battery and will out perform it.
tedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:30 PM   #635
I wanna be Dave

After this post, I won't say anything else on the matter. I am very well read on the on Chris' maxamps c-rating trickery thread. I have talked to Chris about batteries more than a few times here on RCC.

I'm actually looking forward to the upcoming fire videos that I'm sure will happen again. What a waste. You have to admit Harley, if you hadn't borrowed that cheapo pack and ran something of quality, then you would feel better right now. At least you would have ruled that out. And like Harley said, he probably shoved too big of a pack and it may have rubbed wires and caused a short. That's 100% his fault if that was the reason.

I'm off to put regular gas in my cheapo daily driver because that's what belongs in it. Not premium or Av Gas. I know what to power my vehicles with.

Now if I had an Exo Terra, what would I put in it??????? Definitely now the cheapest pack I can find

If you can't pay, you can't play. I didn't make that up - that's just how it is

Back to tech. Now that everybody is getting their Exo's, how is the drivetrain holding up?

Is the metal of gears holding up?

How about the fluid diffs? Any tuning tips yet?

This is a very exciting platform to me because it blends two of my favorite things :racing buggies/truggies, and scaling

Last edited by Rig Rocker; 03-01-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:38 PM   #636
Quarry Creeper

I too am curious to hear about performance and how she holds up to abuse. I love my Wraith and my SCX10 but the EXO would make a cool alternative on those days when I am craving more speed.
Spidubic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:00 PM   #637
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I've got a box of 40 Hobbyking batteries. Used over 27 different cars/crawlers in 2 years, and over 6 quadcopters. Not one has gone bad. I even have a 5000mah 3s lipo bent like a banana from a 100ft drop that still charges (not that I do)

There are those guys that insist on running mobil 1 and wearing ferrari shoes, and those with a miata having just as much fun.

I'd rather be the guy having fun with my batteries, using a lipo bag, and taking care of my batteries.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:00 PM   #638
Pebble Pounder

Lol, you guys are going so side track with this lipo discussion!!!

Anyone else got a fresh build of the EXO done?

EncoreuneMod! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:55 PM   #639
I wanna be Dave

That's a "Cold" ride EncoreuneMod!

Do you have any snow throwin' video of this beast???
Old 03-02-2012, 12:42 AM   #640
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by EncoreuneMod! View Post
Lol, you guys are going so side track with this lipo discussion!!!

Anyone else got a fresh build of the EXO done?
nice. stampede wheels? love the chains. video?

Tags
ax90015, axial, axial exo terra buggy, exo, hankook tires, icon vehicle dynamics, sema, semashow, terra buggy, turnkey engine supply

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-crawlers/344488-something-new-axial-axial-exo-terra-buggy-ax90015.html
Posted By For Type Date
Badger's Axial EXO Terra Buggy - Page 5 - RCShortCourse.com Bulletin Board This thread Refback 01-04-2012 01:12 PM
- Axial EXO™ - 1/10th Scale Electric 4WD Terra Buggy Kit - offroad-CULT This thread Refback 01-04-2012 07:02 AM
Badger's Axial EXO Terra Buggy - Page 2 - RCShortCourse.com Bulletin Board This thread Refback 01-02-2012 09:54 AM
Badger's Axial EXO Terra Buggy - Page 10 - RCShortCourse.com Bulletin Board This thread Refback 01-02-2012 01:14 AM
Badger's Axial EXO Terra Buggy - Page 9 - RCShortCourse.com Bulletin Board This thread Refback 12-29-2011 09:58 AM
Badger's Axial EXO Terra Buggy - Page 6 - RCShortCourse.com Bulletin Board This thread Refback 12-27-2011 01:26 AM
60 amp esc & 3300kv This thread Refback 11-11-2011 10:30 AM
Winnipeg Beach This thread Refback 11-10-2011 10:28 PM
New Axial EXO This thread Refback 11-08-2011 11:00 AM
Rock Crawlers & Scalers This thread Refback 11-07-2011 05:38 AM
Wieder was "Neues" von Axial ? - Seite 8 - Fahrzeuge - rockcrawler.de This thread Refback 11-06-2011 12:43 PM
independent front rear - "New Axial truck...independent front and rear." This thread Refback 11-03-2011 04:24 AM
The new Axial EXO Terra Buggy AX90015 This thread Pingback 11-01-2011 11:01 PM
Crawl ANZ • View topic - Axial Exo This thread Refback 11-01-2011 08:35 PM
the Crawl Pit • View topic - What are Axial up to?? This thread Refback 11-01-2011 04:06 PM
UTRCRC - View topic - New rig from axial BAD A$$ This thread Refback 11-01-2011 02:30 PM
RC4x4.CZ - Fórum - Zobrazit téma - Axial EXO This thread Refback 11-01-2011 12:49 PM
- New Axial, New class? This thread Refback 11-01-2011 12:26 PM
"New Axial truck...independent front and rear." This thread Refback 11-01-2011 12:25 PM
"New Axial truck...independent front and rear." This thread Refback 11-01-2011 11:42 AM
New axial truck... - WARCRC This thread Refback 10-31-2011 02:31 PM
GCRad1's 1992 ADV-FJ80 LAND CRUISER - Page 3 This thread Refback 10-27-2011 03:56 PM