Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: axial or losi crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2011, 08:12 PM   #1

Default axial or losi crawler

looking to get a crawler but would like to know what you guys like better and why. i just want it to play around
1976drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2011, 08:23 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Axial hands down. Losi seems like they are getting out of crawlers. Plus axial has a lot of different options, and most people make tons of parts for axial.

AX-10: is probably the best messing around/light comp rock crawler,
XR-10: full blown MOA comp rig
SCX-10: trail runner/super scaler
Wraith: faster basher/crawler/scaler

Last edited by BLKXJ 96; 10-27-2011 at 08:31 PM.
BLKXJ 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:28 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

i would go axial, axles are strong, and lots of after market support.
thats my .02
Rob
Rxracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:40 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Just the opposite, I suggest the Losi Night crawler. Every Axial I've had breaks links, shocks, c-hubs and drive shafts with just "normal" bashing abuse. And by "normal" I mean rolling down a hill or a short fall. Since i've switched to Losi, I've noticed the durability is FAR greater. It will out crawl any axial out of the box.
It is not discontinued (thats only been internet rumor... not confirmed. check it out) and parts are as cheap as Axial and readilly available.

The biggest drawback is wheelspeed (stock) but with typical upgrades (which you would do to any brand crawler) That can be fixed .

Grease up those worms and you'll have a nice reliable rig
GiJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:04 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I love my losi but the Axial is alot easier to get setup and running well. The losi requires brushless and alot of attention to maintenance.
DRCrawlGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:31 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRCrawlGood View Post
I love my losi but the Axial is alot easier to get setup and running well. The losi requires brushless and alot of attention to maintenance.

Yep, the only thing I have seen Losi's do is let the smoke out of the motors and ESC's......and the worm gears run at 90* after about a 4 minute run

When I got my AX10, I ran it for almost 6 hours stright on a 5000 mah battery with no problems....for about three weeks in a row......Just saying
BLKXJ 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:32 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I have a Losi MRC. I'm new to the sport and have not driven or owned anything other so my opinion may not be the best to go by. I like my MRC, howver I am breaking stuff almost everytime I use it. I've been having bad luck wioth the ring and pinions. I stripped out both the front and back. When I did the front I upgraded the front to the Traxxas pinion (overdrive), thats now clicking as well. (I can't really blame this on Losi though. It's known that the gears have to be shimmed. I have also been twisting driveshafts. Having the L-trail chassis = longer driveshafts. No option for an aluminum shaft at that point. Transmission gears blew apart, due to my son. Just last night I noticed that only one rear wheel was spinning, didn't have a chance to tear it apart. Liek I said I do like my MRC, it may be because it's my first crawler and I like crawling in general. I plan on sticking with it and upgrading as things go. I also plan on getting rid of the Ltrail chassis, so i can give this thing a fair chance. Hopefully my expieriences can help.
MudboyNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:45 AM   #8
Official Cook of the ECC

Axial hands down.
Scattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:19 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1976drew View Post
looking to get a crawler but would like to know what you guys like better and why. i just want it to play around

If I was just getting into a hobby/sport and like you state, "...just want it to play around", then go with Axial.

Their "play around" line up is unequaled. SCX-10 RTR is adventure in a box with unlimited aftermarket products for you to build it as your interest and driving skill level increases.

The same goes for the Axial Wraith! Jump it, crawl it, drift it, and be in awe of it. It's a one of the greatest "play around" rigs currrently on the r/c market.

I'm not new to the scene, but I keep the scene new and if Axial wasn't the best choice to go with, then "Axial" would not be in my sig!

-Parker
DRIVNMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:22 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

losi all the time

stock lnc was equal to a ax10 with 200$ hop ups
lol
DkoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:02 PM   #11

When I bought my first crawler, I noticed that the losi's didn't have alot of upgrades available either from losi or aftermarket which would normally turn me off until I realized that the losi "DOESN'T NEED HOP-UPS!!!". All crawlers have their issues but there is always a fix just start reading this site. Losi axles do need servicing but as long as you know this ahead of time, crawl away. I have 2 losi crawlers (lcc,lnc) and they are very reliable and I've done very little to them besides setup and they both still amaze me. I respect Axial products, I've owned an SCX10 which I think is their best product by far, because it seems that they release kits before some of the problems have been sorted out. The XR10 and Wraith both need tweeking that maybe should have been dealt with during the manufacturing not out in the field. One thing is Losi is staying in crawling and the parts will alway be available.
fishonron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:52 PM   #12

thanks guys it looks like theres fans for both i may just have to get both one for me and one for my son thats one losi and one axial and ill keep the one i like the most
1976drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:15 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishonron View Post
When I bought my first crawler, I noticed that the losi's didn't have alot of upgrades available either from losi or aftermarket which would normally turn me off until I realized that the losi "DOESN'T NEED HOP-UPS!!!". All crawlers have their issues but there is always a fix just start reading this site. Losi axles do need servicing but as long as you know this ahead of time, crawl away. I have 2 losi crawlers (lcc,lnc) and they are very reliable and I've done very little to them besides setup and they both still amaze me. I respect Axial products, I've owned an SCX10 which I think is their best product by far, because it seems that they release kits before some of the problems have been sorted out. The XR10 and Wraith both need tweeking that maybe should have been dealt with during the manufacturing not out in the field. One thing is Losi is staying in crawling and the parts will alway be available.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:31 PM   #14

Thanks for the suggestions between the two brands ... some very useful opinions!
JGunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:14 PM   #15

AXIAL,its the only way to go.
LIL ANGE. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:36 PM   #16
www.ottsix.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRCrawlGood View Post
The Losi DOES NOT require a brushless setup...that's a complete MYTH. I ran mine for 3 years with a $9 brushed motor from RC4WD with ZERO problems.

and, I've had zero problems with the worm gears
crawl-o-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:21 PM   #17
www.ottsix.com

posting tip: ...this is a forum, blanket statemants are ignored.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIL ANGE. View Post
AXIAL,its the only way to go.
crawl-o-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:57 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Just to clarify, I'm not strictly a "Losi Guy", I've owned an AX-10 and currently own a Wraith as well as several Losi Comp and Night Crawlers. I agree with the statements regarding aftermarket support and potential to upgrade the Axials.
The reason I choose Losi for a beginner is simple...There is NO crawler as durable as the Losi night Crawler out of the box. And furthermore, it will crawl circles up, over and around any comparable RTR crawler on the market today. Its performance out of the box is unbelievable...with NO upgrades.
As your skills increase, so can your Losi. HD Gears, upgrade tires and a brushless system will take you to that next level, but not a requirement.

Just an FYI...Damage report on Night Crawler VS. Wraith
Night Crawler: Replaced motor and servo after 1 yr
Wraith: Replaced motor, esc switch, front bumper, 2 c-hubs, 4 screws in c-hubs which fell out while driving In 2 Months!
Old 10-29-2011, 04:25 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1976drew View Post

Tough call, both have decent crawlers and both make some lemons.

The LCC is decent, but will be trounced in comp by most MOA's, likewise the very similiar LNC.
If your not comping though they are decent enough to have fun

The MRC is a pile of 6 month old shite though, it's got absolutely nothing going for it at all.
If you throw money at it and spends hours and hours on setup you MIGHT have something half decent, but speaking as a MRC owner, lifes to short.

Likewise as a XR10 owner i'd advise to avoid with a barge pole unless your willing to through at least $600 at it after the price of the kit.
It's a fundamentally flawed design from the off and the only way to get it reliable is to through alloy everything at it around the tranny.

SCX etc are decent crawlers, but for me at least although they're great to look at their ability to fall over a lot gets me really frustrated.

My advice is to see what sort of crawling you have around your area.
If you have fantastic tough and technical rocks everywhere then something like a hopped up to hell XR10 or bully, as a LCC or LNC might well struggle over really challenging terrain.

If on the other hand like me your struggling for decent crawling spots, then something like a scale crawler might be better.
Good thing with these is, because their limits are a LOT lower they can be more of a challenge to drive, so they don't get so boring so quickly as something like a bully on the same terrain.

So i'd look around at where your likely to be driving and move from there

Cheers
Mark
cbr6fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:32 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Have both, like both. Both have strengths and weaknesses. Stock for stock the losi crawls better, but get the race roller not the LNC which gives you better parts and dig. It's simple to throw in your own electronics.

The losi is more finicky and takes a different driving style than the AX.

I have had issues with the losi as well from worm gears, to the motor clamp, to screws pulling out, pins breaking, etc. Both have issues. Worm gears in general drive very differently than ring and pinion setups. I like them each for there strengths. I find myself opening up the losi axles much more than the AX axles to do maintenance though.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote