Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: RC Magazine recommendations?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2011, 05:58 PM   #1

Default RC Magazine recommendations?

All the periodicals I have found seem to cover general RC or are geared more toward going fast. Can anybody recommend a publication that is geared more toward crawlers, or at least offroad types?
Spectactical is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2011, 06:06 PM   #2
Suck it up!

I think pretty much all of them cover crawlers now and again, but none on a regular basis. Pretty much anything you see in a magazine is already on this site anyway...
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:37 PM   #3

mainly looking for one or two to allow me to see the most recent products and advertisements. Just getting started on this whole crawler thing. You are right though, this site is a great resource!
Spectactical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:24 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

I would say get RC Car Action. They have lots of advertisements all through the mag and many are crawler products. I cant say to much about RC Driver because I havent bought one in a while. I have a couple old issues and they had lots of crawler ads. But like Duuuuuuuude said, the best info is on this site.
mless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:29 PM   #5
Gettin’ back on the horse

Im not a fan of car action, those guys still think the summit is a crawler.

Big fan of RCDriver and all its quarterly spin off mags like RCCrawler.

Driver covers a crawler related topic, every issue or two. There are generally builds you don't see anywhere else and/or event coverage from one of their guys.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:31 PM   #6
Adilynsdad too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post

Two words that changed RC Crawling 4eva... NITRO CRAWLER

nuff said
braceysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by braceysdad View Post
Two words that changed RC Crawling 4eva... NITRO CRAWLER

nuff said
Its true, Im still working on converting my crawlers to nitro, its a long process.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:35 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I actually like Xtreme RC or something like that. I can't recall where my mags are

I also like Short Course and RC driver

Wow, I have NO clue where my mags are...
Armistice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:36 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Save your $ for a star! don't waste money on magazines, none of them even hold a candle to the information you will find here about crawling!
R/CMaxximus5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by R/CMaxximus5.0 View Post
Save your $ for a star! don't waste money on magazines, none of them even hold a candle to the information you will find here about crawling!
I totally agree, but not everyone wants to take their laptop to the bathroom or on a road trip.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:57 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post

Big fan of RCDriver and all its quarterly spin off mags like RCCrawler.

Driver covers a crawler related topic, every issue or two. There are generally builds you don't see anywhere else and/or event coverage from one of their guys.
As someone who ran one of the above mentioned magazines for a few years, I can assure you I never thought of the Traxxas Summit as a crawler. I did convert a Summit to 2.2 and love the project. Is it a crawler? No. At least it's not a 2.2 comp crawler. It can go over rocks, but it isn't nearly as capable as a comp crawler. So, therefore by it's not a crawler at least by the way many people here think. Is a Team Associated SC10 not a racer because a Team Associated RC8 is faster and far more capable on the track? No need to answer that--just something to think about. While I consider the Summit a basher, not all crawlers are hardcore.

I'm not defending the magazine. I no longer work there and couldn't care less about how people view that magazine. But, when I see comments like this I still can't help but shake my head a little bit.

To the original poster, take a look at the different magazines and decide for yourself what you like. Some people buy them all, some people only find one they like. I wouldn't over think it and just buy what you enjoy. Asking people their opinions on this is like asking them for advice on blondes, redheads, brunettes, etc. You'll get plenty of opinions, but none really matter but yours. Redheads are hot, by the way.

To me, comparing forums to magazines is also pointless. They can cover the same subjects, but are far too different to say you only need one or the other. Even in this digital age, we'll have many forms of media for years and years to come--print included.
MattH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:49 AM   #12
Old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
I think pretty much all of them cover crawlers now and again, but none on a regular basis. Pretty much anything you see in a magazine is already on this site anyway...
I think they are a step behind what you can find right here.
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:46 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

I have had subscriptions to RD Driver, Xtreme and RC Car Action. I tent to like Xtreme the best. I also follow the mags youtube stuff they offer. RC Driver stopped then started,, but RC Car Action I still follow and like. I also subribed to RC Car Action Online instead of the mag and for the $5 more you pay, I liked having the magazine delivered.
MaxxPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:45 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxPain View Post
I have had subscriptions to RD Driver, Xtreme and RC Car Action. I tent to like Xtreme the best. I also follow the mags youtube stuff they offer. RC Driver stopped then started,, but RC Car Action I still follow and like. I also subribed to RC Car Action Online instead of the mag and for the $5 more you pay, I liked having the magazine delivered.
What do you mean RC Driver stopped and then started? I have every issue of RC Driver and they have never stopped publishing them.

XtremeRC stopped publication for about 2-3 months and then restarted.
RC Car is no longer being published.

RC Driver has a crawler section every month plus a quarterly magazine that is all about crawlers called RCCrawler.

Here is my ranking of the magazines

1. RC Driver
2. Xtreme RC
3. RC Car Action
t9dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:19 AM   #15
No idea what I'm doing

For up to date info, nothing beats RCC. You can't type a question into a magazine and get a reply in less than a day.

For magazines though, I like RCDriver. They better start putting in info about Mini-Trophy trucks soon though! I need all the help I can get. Time to start checking out rcshortcourse.com
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:04 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by t9dragon View Post

RC Driver has a crawler section every month plus a quarterly magazine that is all about crawlers called RCCrawler.

1. RC Driver
2. Xtreme RC
3. RC Car Action
Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post

For magazines though, I like RCDriver. They better start putting in info about Mini-Trophy trucks soon though! I need all the help I can get. Time to start checking out rcshortcourse.com

I like you guys.

If you have a question you can PM me.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:29 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

RC Driver had a insert for $9.95 for a one year subscription. pretty good deal. seems like RC car action has a lot of advertisements. I was flipping through one the other day & Traxxas must have had a 12 page spread in the middle.

I don't use magazines & forums for the same purpose. I like flipping through a magazine on the shitter. forums are more Q&A and social. magazines are for veggin' out.

I would trade all my mags for one good scale truck/crawler magazine.
DRW-FJ40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:10 AM   #18
RCC Addict

its actually 15 pages of traxxas ads, and its the same in every issue. thats the main reason i cancelled, kinda seems who buys the most ad space gets to win certain awards. anyways , this site will give a ton of info that any magazine cant.

Last edited by crawlhog; 11-09-2011 at 03:34 PM.
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:06 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by t9dragon View Post
What do you mean RC Driver stopped and then started? I have every issue of RC Driver and they have never stopped publishing them.

XtremeRC stopped publication for about 2-3 months and then restarted.
RC Car is no longer being published.

1. RC Driver
2. Xtreme RC
3. RC Car Action

Sorry, I was refering to the Youtube Page.
MaxxPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:16 PM   #20
Adilynsdad too!

A nitro Summit crawler would be badass
braceysdad is offline   Reply With Quote