Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: stronger complete axial transmissions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2011, 01:32 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default stronger complete axial transmissions?

Starting to plan out my upgrades for my Honcho. One of the things that concerns me is the strength of the drivetrain as I progress with the beefing up of parts. Instead of buying all separate parts, i was wondering who makes the best "complete" trans that's already upgraded?

I was at my local Hobby Town and asked the dude - He showed me a trans that has metal housing, internals gears, spur gear, and beefed motor plate. IIRC, it was around $75 and I cannot recall the brand. It was too steep for me right now, so i've been looking for one.

I have searched around trying to find the best deal on something like this and the closest i've come to is this one sold by CKRC: HERE

Is this the only one out there? is it better to go with a pre-built unit or buy all the stuff separate? which would be stronger?

any advice is appreciated, thanks
Perkolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2011, 01:48 PM   #2
RCC Addict

The only complete trans that would fit well is the RC4WD R2. Otherwise it's just as easy to upgrade the stock trans. An RRP idler with either a machined aluminum main gear with steel outputs or the RRP one piece.

You need this:

Robinson Racing Hard Steel Idler Gear AX10

and either this:

Robinson Racing Outdrive Diff Lock Gear AX10

or these:

Robinson Racing Hardened Aluminum Diff Gear: AX10

Axial Replacement Steel Outdrives for the Axial Transmission

I also suggest a robinson spur gear as they are stronger than axial stock but still leave a cheap and easy weak point in the drive train:

Robinson Racing Super Spur 48P 87T AX10
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:58 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

For the price, the CKRC doesn't look bad. Not sure on the quality of the parts though.

Here is another option for upgrading the outputs and driveline. Along with TexasSP's gears he posted about.

This kit lets you run a 90, 93 or 96 spur too.

C.I. Maxx Drive Shaft Upgrade Kit

Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:00 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

so the one the guy at Hobby Town showed me wouldn't work? i recall the label specifying it was for the AX10.

i am assuming the RR on-piece outdrive gear will be stronger than the 3-piece deal? also, i understand the need to put a plastic spur gear in there once everything else has been beefed. definitely cheaper to blow that than something else - thanks for that specific tip, i never thought of that before.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:01 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Forgot about ecoli's axial trans build up too.

Ultimate "Axial" transmission build
Old 11-09-2011, 02:02 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkolator View Post
so the one the guy at Hobby Town showed me wouldn't work? i recall the label specifying it was for the AX10.

i am assuming the RR on-piece outdrive gear will be stronger than the 3-piece deal? also, i understand the need to put a plastic spur gear in there once everything else has been beefed. definitely cheaper to blow that than something else - thanks for that specific tip, i never thought of that before.
If it's for the AX10 then it would probably work. Couldn't tell ya for sure without seeing it.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:40 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Alloy case and all steel gears inside as well as metal spur:

Hobby Etc 603-883-4919 90 West Pearl St. - Nashua, NH USA

Not too bad for the price.
Rook82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:44 PM   #8
N.E.R.C.C Uncle Blinky

i have 4 of these tranz and do the math...at $68.66 it's a steal Drail
Drail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:09 PM   #9

Gotta say, that trans is an awesome way to go, wish I had seen it when I built my tuber
troyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:02 AM   #10
RCC Addict

I stay away from anything hot racing. Way too many issues with their products and their "upgraded gears" for the XR10 or known to blow apart easily as well.

Robinson may cost a little more but they have the best reputation in RC and stand behind their products.

If you want completely bullet proof, go the ecoli route. If you do, you will be done with nothing else to spend. With the hot racing transmission, you will be purchasing again, and again, and again.........................
Old 11-10-2011, 10:30 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I have had my HR tranny for 2 years. I find alot of people base their opinions on a few bad experiences. On the other hand I don't drive as hard as most. One negative is that the outputs are not drilled out for pins to go through. I have nothing bad to say about it. The write up from ecoli 's thread is the best tranny you can create if ya have the cash. Have a cookie.
xxkalladorxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:44 PM   #12
RCC Addict

All I have had with Hot Racing in the past ten years is bad experiences, which is why I recommend to stay away.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:35 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

looks like i'll be going with the RR gears over the HR trans. i'm pretty careful, but i just got some bigger meats for the rig and my buddies aren't so "light fingered" - especially when we're drinkin'
Old 11-10-2011, 01:53 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I just went completely the other way last year to lose a little high weight in my rig.

I used some old beefy aluminum out drives that the old VP (BDW) made for their dig and went stock the whole rest of the way. I lost a ton of weight from my old rock solid bullet proof aftermarket Axial tranny set-up. With all the redundant HD parts gone it made a big difference in performance but I was really concerned about it's reliability. I beat that rig through two comp seasons sometimes running 4s lipos and not one single problem. I was really impressed by how tough the stock tranny actually was.

Now if your bashing it might be a completely different story, hard comping didn't hurt it a bit and I lost almost a ounce of high weight.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:11 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I'd agree that the route I went is probably overkill for a lot of people. However, if you find you're breaking parts, having to sit around for replacements, etc., it may be worth it. All those replacement parts and time add up to no fun.

I also agree with Stormin2u. I've had lightweight rigs running pretty much all stock components last and last. If you're gentler on it, only running 2 or 3s lipo on a 35t or milder motor, no throttling out of jams and running smaller tires you'd probably be surprised by the strength.

The tranny I built up is going in a heavy scaler running big 2.2 meats, eventually going brushless on 3-6s lipo. Decide what you're building first, then what you'll need for upgrades
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:16 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkolator View Post

I am wondering this exact thing, as it appears the RRP Aluminum Diff Gear is on backorder just about everywhere. I have to decide whether to wait for it, or just go with the solid piece from RRP for $25.

Thanks for all of the links for those that shared them - very helpful.

Fink
Fink is offline   Reply With Quote