Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: App for counting pts at comps

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2011, 06:29 PM   #101
RCC Addict

Default Re: App for counting pts at comps

Downloaded it and took it for a test drive. I think it works great!

If it had record keeping abilities it may just be the ultimate.

But as it sits its great,very simple. I give it an A

Great job!
holycaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2011, 07:47 PM   #102
RCC Addict

My iphone version doesnt have the timer "0" down at the bottom. Is that android version only?
Illeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:49 PM   #103
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by holycaveman View Post
If it had record keeping abilities it may just be the ultimate.
Driver name and course # would be cool to go along with what he^said.

Would be awesome for each course judge to be able to keep all the days drivers info/scores and at the end of the day be able to send them to a central pc via wi-fi or similar for the days totals.

Anyways PHISH is off to an awesome start on this...

Last edited by TEDROCKZ; 12-31-2011 at 07:51 PM.
TEDROCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:05 PM   #104
WAM
Rock Crawler

Just dropped it on my Thunderbolt and works perfectly. Thanx.

But when I say DONE it says it saved the practice comp data.

To where?
WAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:01 AM   #105
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illeagle View Post
My iphone version doesnt have the timer "0" down at the bottom. Is that android version only?
That's coming in the update. It won't be on yours yet. The timer is Android only for the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAM View Post
Just dropped it on my Thunderbolt and works perfectly. Thanx.

But when I say DONE it says it saved the practice comp data.

To where?
It saves them to a database table that FOR NOW just holds a single run. It saves the numbers so you can return to the counter screen and continue a run (sans the timer).

For everyone who wants to save a list of scores, it'll be there soon. Happy new year
PHiSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:16 AM   #106
RCC Addict

Nice job. Norm and I had discussed this and I was going to attack it from a DB point of view and then write the app to use the DB. Looks like you took a much more simple and elegant approach. Grats.
neillarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:06 AM   #107
www.team3sixrc.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by neillarson View Post
Nice job. Norm and I had discussed this and I was going to attack it from a DB point of view and then write the app to use the DB. Looks like you took a much more simple and elegant approach. Grats.
Ok, so I took a little time to go through it last night. Pretty much what I was looking for. The idea I had talked to Neil about was more so for comp purposes on a tablet.
so the capability was to make it more personal with a drivers name, sign off, the ability to add up scores from multiple courses, add point out for scale accs. & realism points, and the ability to save file or send file to a computer for over all tally.

To me its a great platform to start with for us if you might ne willing to customize it for tablet use with those options.

The one last option I would ask you to add to this app, is a reverse timer too

Drivers always want to know how much time is left. When your in a hurry, even the smartest guy doesn't have time to count backwards

A reverse timer would really help.
Great job so far and I appreciate the time spentthe on this.

Last edited by team3six; 01-02-2012 at 07:14 PM.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:14 AM   #108
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by team3six View Post
Ok, so I took a littleweek time to go through it last night. Pretty much what I was looking for. The idea I had talked to Neil about was more so for comp purposes on a tablet.
so the capability was to make it more personal with a drivers name, sign off, the ability to add up scores from multiple courses, add point out for scale accs. & realism points, and the ability to save file or send file to a computer for over all tally.
Maybe we could ask for type of crawler, type of tires, what grease they run in the axles, blood type, what shirt they have on, how they comb their hair and their Moms maiden name?
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:51 AM   #109
RCC Addict

Awesome good start to a great app
chad30w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:00 AM   #110
www.team3sixrc.com

Im trying to do something and work with phish to make a program that everyone can use.
Yes this is a great platform, my idea was that if there were 3 courses and 30 drivers. Instead of a course judge using paper to tally scores and another guy running a timer.

Every driver would tech in, the points would be added to their profile.
Their profile would have their name, truck number, and teched in points for that truck.
All 3 courses would only need 1the judge and each judge would have all 30 drivers profiles.
Driver goes to course 1, tells judge his name, judge starts driver, course is tallied, judge checks box after course ends, driver checks box too.
File is closed and saved to an SD card or sent VIA WIFI to a computer that holds all the profiles.
Driver completes all three courses and scores are totaled for all three course for that drivers profile in spreadsheet.
End of day everyones profile is in system and final champion is choosen

Its a possible idea and this program phish wrote could work for that.
Its an idea I had from Nats that would make scores easier to be tallied and more efficiant, and make the judging easier and not dependent on several judges.

Plus everytime a driver asks for how much time left, its a quick answer.

Last edited by team3six; 01-02-2012 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:07 AM   #111
RCC Addict

Quote:
I can give a shit if your a mod or not.
So that being said! You would get mote respect if you actually acted like a mod rather than being a typical ahole.
Fawk you reflection.

Im trying to do something and work with phish to make a program that everyone can use.
Yes this is a great platform, my idea was that if there were 3 courses and 30 drivers. Instead of a course judge using paper to tally scores and another guy running a timer.

Their profile would have their name, truck number, and teched in points for that truck.
All 3 courses would only need 1the judge and each judge would have all 30 drivers profiles.
Driver goes to course 1, tells judge his name, judge starts driver, course is tallied, judge checks box after course ends, driver checks box too.
File is closed and saved to an SD card or sent VIA WIFI to a computer that holds all the profiles.
Driver completes all three courses and scores are totaled for all three course for that drivers profile in spreadsheet.
Y
Its an idea I had from Nats that would make scores easier to be tallied and more efficiant, and make the judging easier and not dependent on several judges.

But hey Reflection thanks once again for proofing what an outstanding dick head you can be.
You're the one who sounds like a dick to me. This guy hands out something for free, that's awesome, but not good enough for you.
shelljeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:38 AM   #112
www.team3sixrc.com

Im not asking for Phish to change the program that he has made or even sell it. (Which deserves money in my book!) Im glad someone took the step to do this and it works great. Hell if I have to say it large letters.

THANK YOU PHISH For putting out an Awesome product and taking your time to offer this for free! I think you did an outstanding job!

But I believe I have already said that. 2 times now.

Before this program came out from Phish, I had talked to Neillarson about this idea back in May after Scale Nats. I also tossed the idea around with SDS Customs, War Pig, TommyR, and several other drivers before approaching someone to take on this task.

based on the past few years of competitions I have attended, it seems to be a fairly normal problem to
1. Find judges that know what they are doing.
(An unexperianced judge can miss something that can cost a driver points.)
2. Find enough Judges
(Judging is a seriously un appreciated task, a good judge is far and in between. Finding several of them to judge a large event is hard enough.)
3. get someone with a damn timer that is worth a crap.
(cant tell you how many drivers have been robbed because a timer that doesn't work properly.)
4. Tally points correctly.
( How many drivers have missed a championship or a better than average standing because of bad tallied points.)

As anyone who attends competitions can clearly admit. A majority of an event is swallowed up in the time it takes to tech drivers in, judge courses well, and tally points correctly. And generally with a large amount of people at an event, there is sometimes some screw up that can make or break a national champion.

I got a lot of good feedback about my idea and I am sure I wasn't the only one with it in a technically driven age.
I was trying to pursue it, rather than talk about it. and since Neil wasn't able to get to it, Phish had already made the program. I was hoping to offer a build on idea to his work to see if my idea could come to light.

Last edited by team3six; 01-02-2012 at 07:15 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:15 PM   #113
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
So that being said! You would get mote respect if you actually acted like a mod rather than being a typical ahole.
Fawk you reflection.

But hey Reflection thanks once again for proofing what an outstanding dick head you can be.
Seriously?

Calm down dude. Learn to take a little razzing and get a little sence of humor would ya. It's great what PHISH is doing...no doubt...and I appreciate what he's doing.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:35 PM   #114
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflection View Post
This looks cool. I'd like to try it. I don't wanna downgrade to old software though. Said it requires iOS 4.3.
I'm not sure if I responded to this or not, but you don't have to downgrade. The minimum version is 4.3 so anything iOS 4.3 and up will work. I have to lower that limit for the older iOS devices to be able to run it .

Quote:
Ok, so I took a littleweek time to go through it last night. Pretty much what I was looking for. The idea I had talked to Neil about was more so for comp purposes on a tablet.

To me its a great platform to start with for us if you might ne willing to customize it for tablet use with those options.

The one last option I would ask you to add to this app, is a reverse timer too

Drivers always want to know how much time is left. When your in a hurry, even the smartest guy doesn't have time to count backwards
I will see what I can do with the counting up and down timer. My problem with the smaller devices is screen real estate. I don't want to make it too convoluted for everyone to use. It may a tablet only option. I have an iPad version that I just need to update a couple things on that may be a better fit for things like that. I'm hoping to do a lot of the syncing options you've been talking about. It's just A LOT of work. As long as you guys help me out and bear with me through problems I can probably get it all working. I just can't tell you how long it'll all take so I appreciate your patience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelljeep View Post
You're the one who sounds like a dick to me. This guy hands out something for free, that's awesome, but not good enough for you.
I didn't take it that way so don't worry about it. I appreciate the comment on the app. Hopefully it just gets better.

Quote:
How the hell do I sound like a Dick when Im not asking for Phish to change the program that he has made or even sell it. (Which deserves money in my book!) Im glad someone took the step to do this and it works great. Hell if I have to say it large letters.

THANK YOU PHISH For putting out an Awesome product and taking your time to offer this for free! I think you did an outstanding job!

But I believe I have already said that. 2 times now.

Before this program came out from Phish, I had talked to Neillarson about this idea back in May after Scale Nats. I also tossed the idea around with SDS Customs, War Pig, TommyR, and several other drivers before approaching someone to take on this task.

based on the past few years of competitions I have attended, it seems to be a fairly normal problem to
1. Find judges that know what they are doing.
(An unexperianced judge can miss something that can cost a driver points.)
2. Find enough Judges
(Judging is a seriously un appreciated task, a good judge is far and in between. Finding several of them to judge a large event is hard enough.)
3. get someone with a damn timer that is worth a crap.
(cant tell you how many drivers have been robbed because a timer that doesn't work properly.)
4. Tally points correctly.
( How many drivers have missed a championship or a better than average standing because of bad tallied points.)

As anyone who attends competitions can clearly admit. A majority of an event is swallowed up in the time it takes to tech drivers in, judge courses well, and tally points correctly. And generally with a large amount of people at an event, there is sometimes some screw up that can make or break a national champion.

I got a lot of good feedback about my idea and I am sure I wasn't the only one with it in a technically driven age.
I was trying to pursue it, rather than talk about it. and since Neil wasn't able to get to it, Phish had already made the program. I was hoping to offer a build on idea to his work to see if my idea could come to light.
I'll do my best to make it a more all around app. Like I said earlier, I just need everyone to be patient with me. I do appreciate knowing what everyone is looking for. I unfortunately haven't been to a comp since I moved to AZ 8 months ago. I don't even know where they have them here. If you, or anyone, wants me to add something and wants to contact me privately my e-mail address is ryan at volkswagenrescue dot com.

Quote:
Seriously?

Calm down dude. Learn to take a little razzing and get a little sence of humor would ya. It's great what PHISH is doing...no doubt...and I appreciate what he's doing.
The internet is serious business. No humor allowed . The new iPhone version should be available this week. I'll be submitting it to Apple tonight or tomorrow.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:42 PM   #115
MODERHATER™

Thanks for working on this so much for us. When I found it I instantly emailed you seeing if you could do work on it, and wow you really have!

Like said earlier, a countdown timer would be sweet, the rest could be done on scorecards. It would be nice if there were inexpensive tablets or pda's that we could use in place of scorecards, and this is stepping in the right direction!

Oh and some people need to chill out and relax a little. Tension is spreading like wildfire. This is a hobby, and fun, let's not forget that!
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:43 PM   #116
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHiSH View Post
I'm not sure if I responded to this or not, but you don't have to downgrade. The minimum version is 4.3 so anything iOS 4.3 and up will work. I have to lower that limit for the older iOS devices to be able to run it .
No problem. I tried downloading and it told me I needed the 4.3 version. Maybe there's a mix up or something went wrong somewhere. No big deal. I'll try it again when I get a chance. I understand there's glitches when doing stuff like this. I appreciate your efforts.....thanks.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:56 PM   #117
Rock Stacker

Quote:
No problem. I tried downloading and it told me I needed the 4.3 version. Maybe there's a mix up or something went wrong somewhere. No big deal. I'll try it again when I get a chance. I understand there's glitches when doing stuff like this. I appreciate your efforts.....thanks.
Definitely let me know if you can't get it. I tried it again on my wife's iPhone with 5.0.1 and it installed fine. If you're having problems that means others can't install it too.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Old 01-02-2012, 04:01 PM   #118
WAM
Rock Crawler

Quote:
The one last option I would ask you to add to this app, is a reverse timer too. Drivers always want to know how much time is left. When your in a hurry, even the smartest guy doesn't have time to count backwards. A reverse timer would really help..
My app for Thunderbolt has a count-down timer. With a settable start time and a pause control. So I don't understand...is it just that you don't have this yet on your version, or do you think we need two timers, up and down?

Seems to me the down timer is fine as-is. Don't know why I'd need an up timer too.

I didn't think to check...I wonder if there's an alarm sound when the timer reaches zero?
WAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:12 PM   #119
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I did but iTunes connect is closed until the 29th. I can't upload any new versions to the App Store until then. I'll upload it as soon as they let me.
Quote:
I lowered the minimum version to 4.1 but I'm not releasing an update until I get everything squared away. The hold up is that I have to check (and change all the databases) on upgrade but not every time you start the app. It's almost there though. I'm really sorry for the hold up.
Quote:

The new iPhone version should be available this week. I'll be submitting it to Apple tonight or tomorrow.
So it still isn't available for anything older than 4.3?
irok22s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:01 PM   #120
RCC Addict

Quote:
How the hell do I sound like a Dick
I believe this is the answer to your question:

Quote:
Fawk you reflection.

Thanks again for this app Phish. I think its awesome that you did all this for FREE and then you listen to guys suggestions about ways to improve it. For you to contribute your time just to make it AT ALL is awesome and to donate it for free is great. If you stopped working on it today I would still be greatful for having the version I have.
Illeagle is offline   Reply With Quote