Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: App for counting pts at comps

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2011, 01:19 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default App for counting pts at comps

Hey,
is there an app for iPhone / iPod touch that has buttons to be pressed and count 1pt. for missing a gate, 5pts. for... and so on?

Thx so far
WeekendWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2011, 08:07 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

While I dont know of one that would be a great idea. Hopfully someone could come up with one
jeepsohigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:10 AM   #3
MODERHATER™

In Appzilla there is a counter, you have to tap the screen for each point, so a gate would be 10 taps..etc, I bet if you used it all day your battery would wipe out.

An app for scorekeeping would be awesome though, we have been talking about getting old pda' for scorekeeping.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:10 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

i was thinking about this myself. i found this app and loaded it on my phone. seems to work ok.

RadioControlledRockCrawling Android Application | Radio Controlled Rock Crawling

i don't comp much so i don't know if it would work well for that situation but for practicing on my backyard course seems like it will do the trick.
jebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:12 AM   #5
No idea what I'm doing

I was talking to Grizz about this not too long ago. Having something that could upload the scores would be nice too since there would be no waiting for someone to post results.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:15 AM   #6
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebster View Post
i was thinking about this myself. i found this app and loaded it on my phone. seems to work ok.

RadioControlledRockCrawling Android Application | Radio Controlled Rock Crawling

i don't comp much so i don't know if it would work well for that situation but for practicing on my backyard course seems like it will do the trick.
That looks pretty slick! My only suggestion to him is to put a timer in there as well. I've been looking at getting a new Droid...maybe now is the time.

Last edited by C*H*U*D; 11-27-2011 at 09:18 AM.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:19 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

it does have a timer which you can set. looking at it some more it does seem pretty flexible.
jebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 11:15 AM   #8
MODERATOR™

Not getting that to work on my iPod Touch, though it doesn't say it does, just the iPhone and iPad, but as far as I know, we share the iOS.

I remember years ago having this conversation, and it's nice to see someone tried to make it happen. Probably 4 years ago or so we originally discussed it. I remember saying, "Pfff, pen and paper is good enough."
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 11:56 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Downloaded, will mess with it as time permits, thanks or tackling this
CrawlinROCKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 11:58 AM   #10
www.team3sixrc.com

Funny thing is that I had talked to Neillarson about this just after Nats, havent heard anything about it yet.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:45 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

just downloaded..works great,easy to use and modify in case you screw up..
ROLANDROCKSHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:01 PM   #12
RCC Addict

I am going to run this at the next comp to try it out,
sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:37 PM   #13
www.ottsix.com

I love paper... (It would kinda suck if you dropped it or even worse yet, if someone else dropped your phone. I know at our comps, we have three timers and it's rare if one doesn't get dropped at some point)

Last edited by crawl-o-matic; 11-27-2011 at 10:42 PM.
crawl-o-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:16 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
I was talking to Grizz about this not too long ago. Having something that could upload the scores would be nice too since there would be no waiting for someone to post results.
Jim (blue10) was working on something like this a while back. He used it at last year's ACC and it worked GREAT! I believe he is going to use it this year as well...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:09 AM   #15
RCC Addict

I played with this app for a bit on both my Droid X and my Motorola Xoom.

It definitely looked better on the smaller phone screen...on the Xoom it was very fuzzy due to it not being optimized for the larger 10.1" tablet screen. The ability to adjust point values is nice as rules change, this definitely makes the software flexible. It definitely would be great if it could export to say a spreadsheet in QuickOffice HD...and allow driver names. This would allow for some nice exports of scores. All in all the Beta functionality of this is pretty good.

The negative is in the math behind the app. The math does not limit the points to 40.

Example:

Gate: 10
Progress: -2
Reposition: 10
Reverse: (7 of them)
Roll over: 5
*At this Point the driver has 32 points and -8 progress points. Here is where it is inaccurate.

GATE: 10

POP-UP appears and says that you have hit the 40 point limit.

TOTAL SCORE is then marked as 34 by the software.

The flaw is that the software still totals at 42 points and then deducts the -8 progress points. The software should total to 40 points and then deduct the progress points for a total of 32 points for the DNF.

I know that this software is a BETA...I hope that development continues and these bugs get sorted out. I also hope for a version optimized for tablet platforms.
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:27 AM   #16
www.team3sixrc.com

Agreed!
Good platform to grow on.

My idea when I discussed this with Neil is to make it like this.

If there is a comp.
say you have 10 guys in that course.
Each esheet would have a name of that driver.
first driver is up.
timer starts
score is taken
when course needs to stop, timer can be stopped but also reflects reverse time left.
(Some drivers ask how much time is left)
Anyways, course resumes until end.
then hit stop
Scores accumulate
Two check boxes (one for judge, one for driver)
Then it can be saved to either a card or send via wifi to a computer or dumped from the card.
This way if there is 3 courses for each driver, the total scores can be talied together.
my point was to use it for scale, so the ability to set score limits and add a winch tab would be needed.
and definitely set up for tablet use.
but its a start.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:32 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

it wont go negative on the score.

Im sure the writer is a member on here, would be nice to track him down and give direct feedback.

Last edited by jetboat; 11-29-2011 at 08:41 AM.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:41 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

I wrote the app and was linked here by jetboat. I'll try and get around to fixing some of the stuff you guys want done. My apologies for the math being off . I'm working on getting the timer working on the iPhone version and then I'll fix the Android version. As far as tablet resolutions, I don't have an Android tablet so I don't even know what things look like in real life Honeycomb (everything looks good in the emulator ). I'll post a higher res Android version for you guys looking to run it on a tablet to see if that helps at all.

I appreciate the feedback as I didn't think it would so damn difficult to write something that really looks simple on the outside.

Ryan
PHiSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:13 PM   #19
RCC Addict

I downloaded the app to my Android phone and i canot for the life of me find it. Is it not like the rest of the apps after there downloaded you get an icon to open and activate app?
finishline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:52 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by finishline View Post
I downloaded the app to my Android phone and i canot for the life of me find it. Is it not like the rest of the apps after there downloaded you get an icon to open and activate app?
Do you have a file browser like Astro File Manager that you can list the files on your phone with? It should also be listed in your browser's download list. Since it's a 3rd party app, it doesn't automatically install from the Internet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PHiSH is offline   Reply With Quote