Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Kurtus420 MiniQLO build/pics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2012, 11:52 AM   #41
RCC Addict

Default Re: Kurtus420 MiniQLO build/pics

bearing kit arrived and like I said before buy this if you decide to buy any rctrax micro crawler, you will regret it if you don't.

Installed the cvd's and steering knuckles, make sure you have an upgraded alloy steering rod and drag link because this upgrade requires both to be about a 1/4" longer. I bought the rctrax steering upgrade with the spacer kit they sell and was able to achieve the proper setup needed. Get an amazing amount of steering with these in

Got me some free motors as samples from xtreme productions (thanks so much Kim). Installed the 180 pro motor right off the batt as it is the cream of the crop but I was not very happy with it as there seemed to be no low end control and was very fast and twitchy. I ended up ordering another stock motor after trying to build a hybrid from the 180se can and the miniqlo armature thinking this would give me the needed low speed control and take the wheel speed down a notch. Ordered up some new brushes, tryed to seat them by breaking in on 3v for a couple hours but was not able to get a good seat due to the comm being alot smaller. I decided to put a fxr esc in that I had and the 180 pro motor just came to life, I know have super low end resolution that the stock esc was missing in a big way and get to keep the wheel speed. Problem with the 180 pro is there is no flat spot so I had to make one but it is skipping with all the torque so I am on a search for a metal pinion in a 8t for whatever pitch this thing is(any ideas????? 32p??).

Tekin FXR installed

Installed a micro bluebird digital dig servo cause my kopropo radio doesn't like analog servos like the stock one.

A shot of the axle, note that the worm gear outdrive can be installed in both directions so be careful when taking them apart that the drive shafts end up on the same side depending on if you run a dig or not. A shot of the inside as well, lubed with gearscience grease.

kurtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2012, 12:14 PM   #42
RCC Addict

Here is the weight setup for now, I have a 1/2oz weight on top of the servo, 6x 1/4oz weights on the sides of the servo, 2x 1/4 oz weights on the bottom of the servo mount and the trail trekker weights on the alloy wheels. Put the rear alloy wheels on to get the cg lower. TT weights were a little too small in diameter to fit over the rctrax wheels so I just used pump pliers and opened them up some more, be careful here because they are very easy to break in half..........only broke one but it's all good. I got them on with the orings which is a bit of a chore then glued them into place with ca so they dont slide side to side into the bead for the tire and also to keep them from covering the machined vent holes. Running my home brew foams front and rear.

Lowered the body as low as I can get it, I gotta squeeze it tight to get the post throught the side now. I am running the medium outer springs front with 2 orings on the shafts for external limiting, I have the hard springs on the rear with 2 limiting orings and a 1/8" thick preload space for the spring on the rears. Articulation is totally even with this setup, both shocks bottom at the same time while lifting the tire which is how I like my setups. All 4 shocks are flipped. All the ball ends are alloy and smooth but there is a little too much play in them so micro revo ends may be in order here(thanks for the tip on that rockfrog). This thing is jammed for space.

Thats it for now, plan to 4 link and extend the rear and relocate some links in the process to combat some tt.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:24 PM   #43
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockfrog View Post
Cool, looking forward to seeing what you've done.
I think I may have run into the binding you mentioned (either that or I smoked a motor by running with the bushings still - bearings on the way with the V2 MOA).
I do have a Tekin B1R I might try but I like the dig of the stock MOA esc ... and it's pretty small. We'll see what happens when the new parts arrive, I guess. Might try converting to a losi McRC motor on the gear drives going into the axle though.

The Traxxas 1/16 link ends are the right size for these as well, I have a traxxas 1/16 revo end on the front 3-link with a 2.5mm bolt which threads into the plastic mount perfectly. I'm in discussion with ripper7777777 about a mini AntiVenom so I'll likley convert to traxxas links ends and 4-40/3mm rod at the time I get that sorted. The problem I find with the stock balls/links is they bind with little movement due to the design (the links contacts the hex on the inside of the ball limiting flex). I have about 1 tire height of flex but with these little guys I like to go with 1.5 tires worth ... these micro's are a different ball game. I set my links up to lean the chassis forward to put an angle on the skid which really helped with breakovers.
Looking forward to seeing that become an anti venom, I wanted to do a ridgeback miniqlo and sent so dimensions to blade about it but never heard back so I think I'm gonna just stick with stock here and not sink too much more into this with a new season for the 1/10th scale around the corner, got some things in mind for my xr and that sucker is a money pit, over 2g in that one now. Sucks about needing the bearings but it could be that esc thats causing problems too, my motors were running really hot with the stock esc, they are warm with the fxr. I think you should sell the ax3, get a gt3b with a losikid gt3b hack and grad another b1r, proportional dig is an amazing tool to have since you can setup to have a over/under drive situation at the click of a button. It would make one hell of a capable mini if if all fit.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:36 AM   #44
RCC Addict

just found this thread. wishing i had found it much earlier. i posted in another qlo thread but figure i may as well post here too since i dont frequent RCC compared to scale4x4rc. this is what im having issues with.

so after seeing this, would you highly recommend the aluminium hubs AND cvt or just the hubs? oh, and bearings are a necessity with the hubs yea?

heres a link to my thread,

Klampyz little F truck - Scale 4x4 R/C Forums
klampykixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:10 AM   #45
RCC Addict

thanks for the PM. actually quite excited
Old 08-24-2012, 04:14 PM   #46
Quarry Creeper

for the droop setup...did you buy new springs from them or did you used springs that we can find pretty much anywhere? (like pen springs or stuff like that...)
rebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:01 PM   #47

Hello,

New guy here, recently bought one of these MiniQ's, but Where Can i get a set of Alloy Wheels?! - None on Ebay, RCTrax themselves don't respond, tried to order through Tamiya-Shop who had listed All Hop-Ups as Avaliable, but after my order, changed Everything to No stock! :( Anyone have any wheels for sale? Tried a set of Losi Hot Bodies ones but they just dont fit the tire right....
ANTHRAXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:25 AM   #48
RCC Addict

any rims that fit the losi micro will fit the QLO. just remembering the QLO is a pin where the losi is a hex, but still has a pin.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:45 AM   #49

Yeah I had a set of Hot Bodies alloy rims for the Losi & tried them on the Rctrax, but they are afew mm taller & abit narrow as well...the Rctrax tires just didnt wanna sit right..

If anyone has a set for sale I'm interested. Hoping for the Green ones.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:49 AM   #50
RCC Addict

Ive had losi rims on my qlo. I thought the miclaws fitted really well. I also fitted rc4wd tires to thw losi rims with great success as well. So maybe its the hot bodies rims ur having issues with?
Old 09-20-2012, 01:51 AM   #51

Or a better Question - Who did you get all your hopups through? I'm after all the same Alloy Fruit...
Old 09-20-2012, 01:53 AM   #52
RCC Addict

Theres ebay, search rctrax. And RCTRAX MINIQLO palm size micro rock crawler and also rcmart.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:07 PM   #53

Looks like dealing direct with rctrax is the only choice..anyone else bought direct through them? Any other brands of alloy rims for these or losi? I've only seen the Hot Bodies beadlock ones..
Old 09-20-2012, 07:08 PM   #54
RCC Addict

did you have a look at RC Cars | RC Hobby Shop | Radio Controlled Cars | RCMart.com- ?

thats where i get my parts from
Old 09-20-2012, 09:00 PM   #55

yEah I got my truck kit through them, but they have no stock of the alloy bits & no ETA on when they can get more. It's mostly the wheels I'm chasing, seems to be the one part no longer around..
Old 11-27-2012, 09:47 AM   #56

RCTRAX, Alloy Wheel Set (GN) ,(MQ-WAg) here alloy rims.
TexnoVolk is offline   Reply With Quote