Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Narrowed Axial Axle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2011, 12:56 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Narrowed Axial Axle

Searched and found a few threads where someone was showing a kit for narrowing the rear axial axle to a total of 8" from out side of tire to outside of tire.

However those were all 2+ years ago and had some machined ends in the setup which i cant make.

Does anyone have any tricks to narrow the rear axle or have a link to a kit to do this? Want to narrow the rear axle for a dually project because the tires stick out WAY to far with the f650 body.
CountryChevy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2011, 08:25 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Just dug in an decided to design my own style to narrow the axle. I personally havent seen it done this way in my searches but im sure i cant be the first. Shall post pictures when its done.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:43 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I ran into this exact issue when I built my dually.

Heres the process I went through:

1. Cut off ends of axle housing even with the back of the screw bosses for holding knuckles on
2. File/grind/sand like a bandit till you can fit knuckles, or straight axle adaptors back on. You'll probably go all the way through in a few spots, not a big deal we'll address that later
3. Measure at least four times, then cut desired amount out of the middle of straight axles, hit the cut ends with a file just a bit.
4. Make a sleave from 3/16 brakeline roughly an inch long, get out your hammer and pound your axle halves into it. Its a dang near perfect press fit. Braze the ends of the sleave to the axle
5. Put a peice of heatshrink over the axles, then coat axles, ring gear liberaly with petroleum jelly. Mix up some plastic safe epoxy and apply to insides of axle housing. Stick the ring gear and axles into the case and press into the epoxy, the petroleum jelly will prevent you gluing things into a useless brick. Repeat for other half of housing when first is dry.

Thats it lmk if you need any more info
Nate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:07 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Pictures?
Old 12-13-2011, 07:20 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Build thread is in the 1.55 section. I didnt take any pics during the narrowing since I pretty well made it up as I went along, but you can see the final result in the thread
Nate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:19 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Not sure how narrow it would be, but what about using wraith short side axle shafts. That and some modded beef tubes might fly.
skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:23 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Got my shafts cut down tonight. Waiting on some custom machined parts to show the finished product. My plastic test piece is NOT pretty or picture worthy. But the way i designed it, the axles are 5/8" more narrow than stock. Looks PERFECT for the dually track width.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:30 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryChevy15 View Post
Got my shafts cut down tonight. Waiting on some custom machined parts to show the finished product. My plastic test piece is NOT pretty or picture worthy. But the way i designed it, the axles are 5/8" more narrow than stock. Looks PERFECT for the dually track width.
Who cares if its not picture worthy, you made something cool. The roots of rcc came from stuff that wasnt picture worthy, lol.
spookyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:58 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Narrowed Axial Axle

Here is a preview of the narrowed vs normal straight axle. 5/8" difference.

Once the aluminum parts arrive ill post some detailed pictures and specs.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:05 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

you just narrowed one side?
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:23 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Cut down a straight axle adapter for a test on how to make it work. It worked and i have some custom machined aluminum parts coming so i didnt feel the need to cut down another straight axle adapter when its getting replaced any how. BUT, its really tempting to do so i can see it under the truck done.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:50 PM   #12
TSK
Shelf queen

Have you thought of trying something like the long beef toobs?

Just use the tubing itse;f to locate the chub? Then you could just cut the housing to the desired length and bolt the tube in with the C's/lockouts clocked wherever you want them?

then you'd only have to chop the axle shafts and flat spot them to engage in the locker.

Also curious as to how you are managing to attache the dually wheels in tandem?
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:25 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Using a pair of outlaw hobby's dually adaptors. A touch bit pricey but will look better than bolting the wheels together like most do.

As for cutting the housing. Im trying to keep the housing intact because then i could reverse what i have done now by swapping back to a set of straight axle ends and new shafts. I would like it a little more narrow to match the body, but for what its for and how the track width is setup compared to a 1:1 scale dually its perfect. I just need to get my topkick body, using a f650 body i had laying around for my tmaxx, but the topkick looks like it should have a bit wider rear dually fender than the f650 which will then make everything perfectly scale.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:42 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Here ya go CarLo.
mitchr97 is offline   Reply With Quote