Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: help me choose chassis or kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 03:59 AM   #1

Default help me choose chassis or kit

okay i am looking at either buying a chassis or a rtr/kit to build my first rock crawler, i have all winter to build this thing.(granted most of my winter funds will be going to my car, since i have to beat a friends wife's carsorry jim the red ms3 will not go around my srt4 i refuse to let it happen.)
the main thing i want out of it is it must have a tamiya wrangler body(unless there are other hard body jeeps out there?i know i could make one out of styrene, which i will save that for a later date), it will also be a 1.9 scale truck. which if i figure if i am doing a scale truck, why not make one that is a very popular off road vehicle.(also a plus since both parents work for jeep).the one's that i have had in mind so far have been the bruiser chassis or the trail finder jeep chassis(from rc4wd) my friend suggested i also look into a axial scx10 kit/rtr. i just don't know which one would be a better starting point for what i want.
weemanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2012, 10:04 PM   #2

Default Re: help me choose chassis or kit

so no answers?i have started to look around on here before i even signed up,but yet i don't have a huge amount of working so much here lately.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:06 PM   #3
www.ottsix.com

IMO, if you want a really slick scale look, go with RC4wd.
If you want a nice scale look but also want to comp in the future, go with the Axial.

Also, you'll get a lot more hits on this if you re-post it in the 'general scale talk' forum or even the 1.9 forum

Last edited by crawl-o-matic; 01-04-2012 at 11:09 PM.
crawl-o-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:30 PM   #4
RCC Addict

i would go with the scx10 it gives you much more options , as far as the hard body there are other options out there
viper6171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawl-o-matic View Post
IMO, if you want a really slick scale look, go with RC4wd.
If you want a nice scale look but also want to comp in the future, go with the Axial.

Also, you'll get a lot more hits on this if you re-post it in the 'general scale talk' forum or even the 1.9 forum
okay, i reposted, figured general would of been fine but i just hope i get some good info since i'm new to crawling.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:44 AM   #6
RCC Addict

i say get a axial scx10 dingo and slap a wrangler body on it. axial makes some good shit and there's a ridiculous amount of support for axial and most hobby shops have them.

the real question is, do you want to build something or do you just want to pull something out of the box slap a battery in er' and drive??? with the kit you'll need radio, receiver, esc, motor, battery.. with the rtr you'll need a battery and a charger and your good to go.. when i got into crawling a year ago i went with the RTR because i was new and wanted to get crawling ASAP. i just bought an ax10 RTC and i love it, it got me comping in a matter of minutes after getting it home. peeled it out of the box slapped a battery in it and started driving.

if i ever decide to get another crawler (have some major bills and other projects i want to finish first) im gonna get a kit.
AX10wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX10wannabe View Post
i say get a axial scx10 dingo and slap a wrangler body on it. axial makes some good shit and there's a ridiculous amount of support for axial and most hobby shops have them.

the real question is, do you want to build something or do you just want to pull something out of the box slap a battery in er' and drive??? with the kit you'll need radio, receiver, esc, motor, battery.. with the rtr you'll need a battery and a charger and your good to go.. when i got into crawling a year ago i went with the RTR because i was new and wanted to get crawling ASAP. i just bought an ax10 RTC and i love it, it got me comping in a matter of minutes after getting it home. peeled it out of the box slapped a battery in it and started driving.

if i ever decide to get another crawler (have some major bills and other projects i want to finish first) im gonna get a kit.
well, like said before it wouldn't matter if it is the rtc or a kit or just buying a chassis, i know rc cars are cheaper then my bigger hobbies so this stuff is a bit easier to swallow then other stuff i buy. as for other bodies other then the tamiya point me since thats the only one i know of thats a wrangler.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:24 AM   #8
RCC Addict

ok then... do you have all the parts to build a crawler?? im talking, trans, electronics, links, axles, servo, shocks, body, wheels/tires, driveshafts hardware to put it all together etc... if you dont its cheaper to buy an rtr or kit.

i wanted a second rig to haul around on my trailer towed by my honcho and was looking into piecing a crawler together.. i priced it out at just over $400.00 then i was looking at ready to run's and found they were $100 cheaper so thats the way i went.. if the wrangler body is what you want get the scx10 dingo because the wheelbase is closer and less fiddle fawking around. as for other jeep bodies, there's the 2dr wrangler, JK, YJ, cherokee etc... the JK has the longest wheelbase of all the jeep bodies.

the YJ, wrangler, TJ.. bodies like that will have close to the same wheelbase so get the dingo kit, if its the JK you want get the scx10 honcho rtr and change the wheelbase and body.

there's a lot of questions that rise from your question.really it comes down to if you want to spend the time building the kit or just taking it out of the box and hitting the rocks.

i say fawk the chassis and get an RTR or kit.
AX10wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:30 AM   #9

as it sits, i have nothing for a crawler really. as for bodys i know they have the yj(the tamiya body) but i'd prefer a tj over the yj and dislike the jk's.(have a link or anything or will this be a body i will have to build?)as for being cheaper how much cheaper since noticed that that honcho is wanna say 340 and the dingo was 240 or some where close to that.(which the dingo needed stuff still. let alone tires and rims would be replaced anyways.

help me choose chassis or kit - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which AX Chassis to choose? ernie28ernie Axial AX-10 Scorpion 26 02-13-2011 12:44 PM
2 chassis to choose from mattstang Newbie General 2 12-28-2009 05:44 PM
Help me choose a chassis!! Jeepial General Crawlers 14 11-03-2009 12:04 AM
Help Me Choose My Next Chassis!!! U$edUpH00ker Axial AX-10 Scorpion 44 12-05-2008 06:32 PM
Which chassis to choose? Chris85xlt Tamiya TLT Crawlers 20 01-24-2007 09:40 AM