Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: What's with the shift to scale?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 01:24 AM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: What's with the shift to scale?

for me its the money. i have 2 crawlers, 1 nitro savage and 2 racing mowers that i have to try to upkeep with the maintenace, then there's rent and i got a DUI so i have a $3000.00 in fines plus i owe $2800.00 still on the truck i crashed all on income assistance (welfare).. so i cant afford a $1000+ comp rig. its not that easy when you only get $610.00 a month and you have plenty of resumes out there and nobody is hiring. i have a honcho and i've beat on it for the last year then in december i decided to buy an ax10, why?? because my friends have them and i wanted to try something different will i ever comp it??? nope. and my honcho kept up to my friends ax10's for the most part.

i find it entertaining to try the same lines with my scaler as my friends and their ax10's.. im not afraid to beat the shit out of it.. i have my honcho dialed in pretty good and my friends are impressed with its performance considering it doesnt have weight in the tires.

i love scale because you can go anywhere with them..i take it camping when we're at a lawnmower race out of town, spend an hour driving around looking for shit to crawl over.. at home i have big course and its a nice relaxing spot to go and let out some steam and have a beer.

my friends that have modded ax10's also fly rc planes and one of them races 1/12 on road.. a friend is thinking about getting an xr10 and running that too...

just my .02..
AX10wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2012, 01:45 AM   #22
Rock Stacker

For me there are no comps within an hour and a half from here. I still have my semi comp legal 2.2 ax10 but am getting into 1.9 scale building alot more now. Just something i can be inventive with and tinker with at my leisure instead of spending money on premade expensive parts to be competitive.
CountryChevy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:25 AM   #23

I think the scale rigs appeal to people for the same reason that model cars do. In that you can customize them to your hearts content, but they are better in that you can take them out drive them instead of just having them sit on a shelf and collect dust.

I was introduced to this this hobby by a stranger practicing on mt.rubidoux, for a comp. I was walking by and saw this RC car walk up some rocks, my mind was immediately blown! I thought his homemade, tlt axle buggy was awesome! I liked that it didn't look "real". At the time I was working at a sand rail shop and could appreciate the d.i.y. aspect of this hobby.

Having said all that, I recently introduced my brother to this hobby and he was immediately enamored by the scale rigs. Due to budget constraints we both run crawler kings, but he is planing a scale yota build and I am gathering parts for a couple cutting board rigs.

I love surfing the scale rig picture section, there are some sweet rigs but I won't be building one anytime soon.

It just boils down to what you want to spend your money on, end rant.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:34 AM   #24
Oliver Custom Knives

MORE FUN, less BS
DwaneO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:04 AM   #25
Quarry Creeper

I just saw a diehard comp crawler having lunch with a touring car racer and an oval racer.
MattH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:17 AM   #26
Rock Crawler

Try handing over your comp rig to a 5 yr old kid, chances are neither of you will enjoy it for long. Give them a scaler and go for a hike, you'll both have as much fun as your batteries will allow. Also, if you go to comps regularly and never do well it can get a little boring. People of all skill (and wallet) levels can have fun with a scaler. Isn't that what we're all trying to do anyway, have fun?

Lately I've found myself going to comps more for the social aspect than to actually compete. I'm lucky to live in Calgary where Ted's Garage has a fun comp every week and a points series once a month but it's just not as fun as it used to be. I find that I have more fun going out with family or friends and a couple trail rigs.
AdverseCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:26 AM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppy View Post
I dont know but my scalers dont perform like shit..
It's the driver...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
IMO, the crawling craze started because people liked seeing scale versions of 1:1 rigs crawling rocks. Back then comp rigs still looked kinda scale.

Today comp rigs look like little robots and not like scaled down versions of 1:1 buggies. The comp tuber is dead and replaced by the Delrin TVP. That's one reason I don't care for comp rigs much..
I'm with you Griz. We bring that up a lot with some of the original club members... Back in the day, you ran the body you wanted. Now every rig looks the same.

Who cared if you ran a Rock Pleazer and would turtle with the flat top.

Or you ran a C10 with the rusty look on a Pimp Cane.

It was about having fun and trying to guess what people had under their body of choice. Only way to get that now is with scalers.

Both of my comp rigs still sport bodies...won't give into the masses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwaneO View Post
MORE FUN, less BS
AAAAAAAAAAAAAMEN!!!
Rckcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:19 AM   #28
Rock Crawler

My comp 2.2 bully was a blast to build, all the cool stuff coming out and a retro "hell no I won't go" attitude towards some parts. For me the last comp season I attended was an "out of body" experience, all TVP bodiless rigs and crazy non realistic courses that took too long to run. The rules are just too much anymore so it is shelved and waiting for rebirth down the road.

Scale trucks are cool and have tons of tinker time involved to make them just right. I don't have the time to dedicate or the machines or welding capability to make some of that stuff and refuse to buy someone elses for the most part.

I bought a Wraith and it is actually fun to run around with and I can still do my little things to make it MY rig, like no one elses. Individual ideas and experimenting is what brought us radio controlled crawling in the first place right?

All forms of R/C go through transition and rebirth for the most part. Hell I went through the "Legends" phase as well, it was 30+ attending then down to three or four and then stopped. If they made them today they would be wearing 60's muscle car bodies and people would be racing them in droves again....
jrkilburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:55 AM   #29
Rock Stacker

New guy here. my 2. I now have a LNC and a Dingo. Got into this whole thing recently. end of the day... it's a lot of fun- an escape, a challenge- to build something with your own 2 hands, then test it... repeat...

I think it's like having 2 different cars in your garage that drive completely different- taking your 4x4 out on the trail...you most likely wouldn't take your sports car out in the same area and visa versa. I drive the scaler a lot different and look for different areas and lines from my lcc.

I have to say having a lot of electronic issues with my lcc, the scaler is a lot more satisfying and simpler to get something to work and not have to fool with it all the time.

I also think it's pretty cool to come here and see what others accomplish despite their skill level or budget. it's completely eye opening to read the knowledge and experience- despite their location or background... very humbling...
JeffK11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:56 AM   #30
Quarry Creeper

I see it as 2-types of enthusiast: Those who like to use (drivers), and those who like to build (wrenches).

For me, scale is all about the build, and the challenge of making such wee components, like wee window frame hinges, and functional hood latches, rust, etc. It's almost anti-climactic when the build is done.

But, to each his own. We are all lumped together by non-enthusiasts, as those guys who like to play with toy trucks.
nigelpheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:54 AM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
MORE FUN, less BS
X10. I still like my comp crawler and I like the social aspect of the comp scene, but hands down I drive my scaler 100x more than my comp rig due to the lack of terrain for a comp rig. I also really enjoy working on my scaler. I like to go into the garage turn on the tunes and see if I can make something look better, or work better. At our last comp I saw way more smiles at the scale run after the comp than during.
punkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:51 AM   #32
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdverseCity View Post
Try handing over your comp rig to a 5 yr old kid, chances are neither of you will enjoy it for long. Give them a scaler and go for a hike, you'll both have as much fun as your batteries will allow.
That is the truth. My son got his first real truck for his 5th birthday. He had driven both my LCC and XR10 but didn't care for them. Too slow, and too hard to drive for him. I converted the LCC to a scaler and he loves it.

I tried comping but lost interest because of wanting to do something with my son, and because it takes a lot of effort to be good at it. With guys like 4xFord and JeremyH in my local group, competition can be stiff. Don't get me wrong, they are both great guys, it's just hard to compete against them.

With a scaler I don't have to devote as much time to it to have fun and be good at it.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:14 PM   #33
www.ottsix.com

If you live in an area where there's a ton of rock crawling close by (like Albuquerque) then comp style rock crawling will hold your interest forever. If all you have is a pile of rocks in your back yard to work with, chances are, you'll be heading down the scale road in no time...
crawl-o-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:20 PM   #34
Rock Crawler

For me just gettin into this RC thing for scale is that I use my imagination of what my 1:1 rig could do if money was no object. Granted bills droppin just as much as my 1:1 but in smaller amounts. I use it when I get stuck or waitin for buddies on the trail with my 1:1. Ok Comp rigs are bad ass in that they go anywhere ok and? Like many folks with 1:1's it's buildin it to be yours to say yep my zuk made it up that with "x" accesories or yea I coulda made that look easy with a built "buggy". Some folks don't put lockers in their rigs just cause it makes it "to easy" where as without the driver has to choose better lines if ya know what I mean. Doing more with less I reckon. any how my 2 cents.
meanbgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:37 PM   #35

Quote:
IMO, the crawling craze started because people liked seeing scale versions of 1:1 rigs crawling rocks. Back then comp rigs still looked kinda scale.

Today comp rigs look like little robots and not like scaled down versions of 1:1 buggies. The comp tuber is dead and replaced by the Delrin TVP. That's one reason I don't care for comp rigs much.

Also, scale rigs have progressed and instead of them being scale versions of street driven trucks, people are building scale versions of comp and trail buggies that perform and look great. I see class 3 scalers taking the place of what comp rigs used to be.

Quote:
Exactly.
Brand recognition is important. The Chevy vs Ford, Jeep vs Toyota battle must continue and that's a part of what killed the unlimited class.
Quote:
MORE FUN, less BS
those pretty much answer the question ...
BL-4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:29 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraqa View Post
and have small tires
You should check out my scaler it has 2.2 superswamper tsl, the shell makes it a bit top heavy but it's so light that it dosnt really make a difference in performance and plus it looks awesome!!! Also with scalers winches are more practical an good looking and when you have one they are super cool!! But comp crawlers are good in there own way. I think they may be dying off a little because they were so popular when they started releasing artr and rtr kits that some people wanted to have something unique and different so they went to scale and now everyone is doing it!! That's just my opinion though.
Loganr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:46 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Scale is the roots of the hobby. creating your own vehicle with its own personal touches. At one point this hobby wasn't about buying this frame and those wheels and bolting it all together and RTR cars. It was about making YOUR car YOURS.

Scale trucks are neat, each one is different, some are built by very talented builders.

Whats so fun about spending as much money as possible on a crawler rig and competing?
daign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:47 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelpheron View Post
I see it as 2-types of enthusiast: Those who like to use (drivers), and those who like to build (wrenches).

For me, scale is all about the build, and the challenge of making such wee components, like wee window frame hinges, and functional hood latches, rust, etc. It's almost anti-climactic when the build is done.

But, to each his own. We are all lumped together by non-enthusiasts, as those guys who like to play with toy trucks.
I partially agree with this. I love to build, but also love to beat on my cars and upgrade them until their solid.
daign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:17 AM   #39
I wanna be Dave

My pro comp truck in 2007 when Mashers/Moabs and TLT's were the only choice:

My current Class 3 scale truck that I'm building:

Need I say more?
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:43 AM   #40

I started RC with Tamiya "scalers", first was a Lancia with detailed styrene body using the Frog chassis. The appeal was they looked like real cars. When the hobby shifted to "stadium trucks" I lost interest. Everyone was building, driving, racing those waterbug-looking abominations. Discovering rcc and scale4x4 plus all the aftermarkets that popped up is what brought me back to RC.
spiffitz is offline   Reply With Quote

What's with the shift to scale? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First shift!!!!!!!!! cmyers1 South Carolina 8 01-01-2012 06:32 AM
NFS Shift 2 STANG KILLA SS Chit Chat 5 04-16-2011 05:33 PM
Shift servo? 09 Screw Electronics 5 03-01-2011 07:12 PM
Shift Gate?? mspohn Electronics 1 02-15-2007 05:23 PM
torque shift redneckracer1979 Newbie General 4 01-15-2006 03:33 PM