Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: What's with the shift to scale?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default What's with the shift to scale?

Why is it that it seams over the last year comp crawling is dyeing and scalers are taking over? I remember when 40+ people were viewing the axial forum. And berg and bully would move fast.....now it's dead but every other forum is full of scale info?

Personally I don't mind the scale but I find it ridiculous that so many people would rather build and drive a small truck that looks cool but performs like shit. Vs a crawler that will pull crazy lines and defy gravity.

What are your thoughts?
Kraqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2012, 09:02 PM   #2
RCC Addict

I know with me I like scaling cause I like to hike and I can bring my scaler with me and take some cool pictures. There aren't many places around here to comp either.
adamargue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:11 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: What's with the shift to scale?

I dont know but my scalers dont perform like shit..
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:12 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I like a comp vehicle because I want to see if it will crawl over that
I want a scaler because they look so damn cool...I will build a scaler next
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:17 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I like the realism of scalers. I like knowing that the same truck I built in 1:10 could just as easily be built in 1:1
You say that they perform like shit but, they dont. Imagine how insane some of these scalers would be in full scale. You would have your mind blown off!!
Die-Laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:21 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I've been around 1:1 for 10 years. I compete and build them. so seeing a fully built 1:1 version of a scaler is not anything to special.

When I say they perform like shit I meant compared to a fully built comp crawler. Aside from a few. Most are top heavy and have small tires. We have scale comps and comp crawling. The scalers can't touch the lines the comp crawlers pull.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:24 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Why does it matter? People do what they want and I have more fun with scale. Plus I can run scale anywhere and have a good time, without some good rocks comp crawlers are mighty boring.

I don't begrudge what anyone else wants to do or has interest in though. Some people like to collect boogers, who am I to say they're wrong?
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:28 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I'm not "begrudge" anyone. I'm even building a scale rig. I was just curious what has caused the huge influx in scale rig.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:33 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraqa View Post

Personally I don't mind the scale but I find it ridiculous that so many people would rather build and drive a small truck that looks cool but performs like shit. Vs a crawler that will pull crazy lines and defy gravity.

What are your thoughts?
I am new to Crawling and Scaling, but my take on this is.....New people are discovering scaling and crawling because scaling can be done anywhere and anytime and without much experience. Plus we do not need an organized "comp" to in order to play. I also think many of us really enjoy the scale aspect and making scale stuff to make our rigs unique. We may not be able to 'elevate' up insane inclines like some of the comp rigs can, but we can crawl and climb just fine and have fun in the process with a lot less stress than competing in competitions.
Land Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:38 PM   #10

Money money money... You can get a Honcho and go out to a comp for $300-400, I have more than that in the two fx-r speed controls and a 4pl on my XR, not to mention motors, links,lipo,tires etc. I like the idea of how cheap it is in comparison to a comp rig, I haven't finished mine yet and wish i had a honcho out playing for half of what I spent already
tiny2085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:40 PM   #11
PapaGriz Yo

IMO, the crawling craze started because people liked seeing scale versions of 1:1 rigs crawling rocks. Back then comp rigs still looked kinda scale.

Today comp rigs look like little robots and not like scaled down versions of 1:1 buggies. The comp tuber is dead and replaced by the Delrin TVP. That's one reason I don't care for comp rigs much.

Also, scale rigs have progressed and instead of them being scale versions of street driven trucks, people are building scale versions of comp and trail buggies that perform and look great. I see class 3 scalers taking the place of what comp rigs used to be.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:49 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
IMO, the crawling craze started because people liked seeing scale versions of 1:1 rigs crawling rocks. Back then comp rigs still looked kinda scale.

Today comp rigs look like little robots and not like scaled down versions of 1:1 buggies. The comp tuber is dead and replaced by the Delrin TVP. That's one reason I don't care for comp rigs much.

Also, scale rigs have progressed and instead of them being scale versions of street driven trucks, people are building scale versions of comp and trail buggies that perform and look great. I see class 3 scalers taking the place of what comp rigs used to be.
This makes the most sense. Kinda the way unlimited comp crawling in we rock died and promods took over. Now it's ultra 4 but only cause that's fun as hell to drive.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:54 PM   #13
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
This makes the most sense. Kinda the way unlimited comp crawling in we rock died and promods took over. Now it's ultra 4 but only cause that's fun as hell to drive.
Exactly.
Brand recognition is important. The Chevy vs Ford, Jeep vs Toyota battle must continue and that's a part of what killed the unlimited class.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:07 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

I had a 2.2 shafty as my first rig. Went to a comp and didn't care for the short amount of wheel time and the amount of money I needed to spend to be competitive.

So I decided to build a TJ that was similar to my 1:1. Something the kids and I could enjoy in the yard. Then I found this site and became a scaleoholic.

My kids will drive my Scx-10 based rig in the yard for hours. They see the MOA comp rigs and think they are ugly and not fun looking. Much like the new hobby person stepping into 4x4 RC.

A RTR Honcho and some batteries and you can go play for hours in the yard or at any park. Can't really do that with today's $1000+ comp rigs. And the electrical set up is easy for a beginner with simple radio, ESC and steering servo. You don't have to have the fancy radio, dual ESC and motors, dual high torque servos and so on.

All top ends of any motorsport have few who play. It's the masses that use their technology for fun that will propel the sport into the future.
Propane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:38 PM   #15
www.team3sixrc.com

First off, my rigs don't perform like shit!
It's 98% of the time me that drives like shit.
BTW, when was the last time you seen a real crawler drive up a 90* face without a winch a couple 100', turn an angle on and go down on a 45* pitch into a clevis another 200'?
At least scale looks realistic.

Second, well I blame 2 things as to why comp rigs are dying.
I know the rules are trying to embrace this, but way too much pushing noobs outta the sport. Leave a class to ONLY newbies and quit trying to rule the shirt outta the sport.

And finally, way to hard to keep competitive. Someones always pushing something new.

Wait, one more. 1.9 isn't dead, everyone is choosing to kill it off just because the main player caved. Even though there is plenty room to fuel it.
Best class for the new guy if you ask me.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:42 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Pretty interesting read. I race 10th scale carpet oval, and its heading the same way. 10.5 Open modified has about 6 racers that are crazy fast. The spec 1 cell 17.5 Nastruck class usually has at least a dozen racers or more. Cost differance, Major. Fun value, same. Just my thoughts. Ron
blckgnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:58 PM   #17
www.ottsix.com

To me scalers are for fun, I don't think they translate to comps all that well...fun trail runs yes, comps, not so much...but to each their own.

Who ever said that comp crawling was dying anyways...that's just plain bull

Last edited by crawl-o-matic; 01-04-2012 at 11:01 PM.
crawl-o-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:08 PM   #18
RCC Addict

1.The majority of people like a little speed over the slow crawl. When I managed a lhs 99.9% of the customers couldn't understand why I built a truck that only went 5mph.

2.The cost of a scaler vs a comp truck is appealing to more people. It also gets frustrating to compete against a bunch of bottomless wallets. There's guys where I compete that have not one but two top of the line trucks and can try any and all latest greatest parts etc... I build one truck buy a new set of tires and that's it for a season. My motors and electronics are the same ones from 2006 when I started. I like comping though and hanging out so no biggie but a lot of people get discouraged by the cost.

3. Comp trucks are boring unless you have a good spot to run them. I like being able to walk outside and run a pack in the front yard or any where else.

4. When you get down to it most comp trucks look the same and are built the same. Comp trucks are purpose built so there's nothing wrong with that, if it works do it. The scale section on the other hand ranges from stock scx10 to completely custom rigs. Most of them have personal touches that set them apart and some are just flat out amazing. That uniqueness appeals to a lot of people because it's not just a list of parts that you have to have to compete.

As crawling grows I think scalers will appeal to a larger group of people and become even more popular then they already are. With companies like axial selling scalers rtr its a lot easier to get into that then comps. We can also blame ourselves a little too. I've seen many times when a newbie asks about building a comp rig and "that guy" posts a ridiculous list of parts which is a turn off to a lot of people. I know for a fact that you can compete on a budget and still have fun. If your in it for anything other then having fun your gonna burn out quick and loose interest after a couple seasons.
SINister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:12 PM   #19
RCC Addict

When I first started crawling I had a 1.9 comp truck and the natural progression at the time was to go to 2.2, and I did. Got the truck fully dialed in and it wa.s one heck of a performer. Did I ever actually comp it? Nope. Too busy with life and could never get out with the local club. The rocks at my house wernt cutting it either.

So I bought an scx10 kit, ran it stock for a week then turned it into a mog and that was that. The trails around my house became fun and I could just go out and play for 30 minutes. Frankly I don't care if it can't follow a bully's lines. The look cool and are fun. I could give the remote to a friend unknown to crawling and they would think its fun. Most likely not true with a comp truck
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:56 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I've been around 1:1 for 10 years. I compete and build them. so seeing a fully built 1:1 version of a scaler is not anything to special.

When I say they perform like shit I meant compared to a fully built comp crawler. Aside from a few. Most are top heavy and have small tires. We have scale comps and comp crawling. The scalers can't touch the lines the comp crawlers pull.
Your kinda comparing apples to oranges and saying one is shit because its a orange.. Thats retarded..

Your comp truck performs like shit on a onroad race course using your logic..
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote

What's with the shift to scale? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First shift!!!!!!!!! cmyers1 South Carolina 8 01-01-2012 06:32 AM
NFS Shift 2 STANG KILLA SS Chit Chat 5 04-16-2011 05:33 PM
Shift servo? 09 Screw Electronics 5 03-01-2011 07:12 PM
Shift Gate?? mspohn Electronics 1 02-15-2007 05:23 PM
torque shift redneckracer1979 Newbie General 4 01-15-2006 03:33 PM