Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: JSLICK Class 2 LOCKED UP RC FI spool midseason tuneup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2013, 08:45 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default JSLICK Class 2 LOCKED UP RC FI spool midseason tuneup

Saying that I am hard on my scale rigs Class 1 and Class 2 is an understatement.

I have not done any real work on my axles since the end of the 2011 scale season.

As soon as I saw that these were available from LOCKED UP RC I put my order in.

My first impressions of the FI Spool is that it is no joke.

I have run the Axial iron cross lockers since day one. They have always had a bit of play in them and not a tight fit to the axle shaft tang. The FI Spools you will need to press the axle tang into the spool.

Both the cases were worn through.

Besides comp'n I enjoy trail rides and water crossings. I wanted to make sure that the axles were well greased, I used green marine grease the last time I put them together. As you can tell I went a bit overboard.

Here are the rear axle shafts after pulling them out of the cases.

On the bright side they are not rusty at all.

This time around I took it much lighter on the grease, I went with the blue VP grease.

Here is the FI spool mated up with my front overdrive gear with the bearings in place.

Greased up the pinion and meshed it with the ring and FI Spool.

Finished front axle

Finishing up the rear axle was a snap.

I needed some new hubs and some line for my winch, so I threw them in the shopping cart when I ordered the FI spools.

Last edited by Jslick; 02-09-2014 at 01:22 PM.
Jslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2013, 09:27 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Lmao John! I just started on my class 2 for rausch on the 13th..

On top of electronics and bearings, I was also looking at the FI spools for it and my ax.. I have a super 300 spool but its close to 2ozs. The locking lockers are just a pain! So a nice tight fitting spool will be a great option. Tho at this point I don't think I would have time for it, this rebuild, for rausch.. I will definitely be taking advantage of the sale on them, right now, before its over.. :thumbup::cool:
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:47 AM   #3
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Default Re: JSLICK Class 2 LOCKED UP RC FI spool midseason tuneup

Nice writeup!
I may steal this for the blog.

How much of the line fit on there? I need to get some specs up on the site for the common winches.

Last edited by Locked Up; 07-06-2013 at 06:49 AM.
Locked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:02 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked Up View Post
Nice writeup!
I may steal this for the blog.

How much of the line fit on there? I need to get some specs up on the site for the common winches.
Steal away, I was going to see if you wanted it posted up. I got a little over 6 feet on the spool. I don't like to put too much on the winch spool, other lines tend to jump off and bind up the winch. What have you found is the best way to secure a hook to the winch line. In the past when I used the beadalon coated wire I could just crimp it.

Last edited by Jslick; 07-06-2013 at 10:37 AM.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:20 AM   #5
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jslick View Post
Steal away, I was going to see if you wanted it posted up. I got a little over 6 feet on the spool. I don't like to put too much on the winch spool, other lines tend to jump off and bind up the winch. What have you found is the best way to secure a hook to the winch link. In the past when I used the beadalon coated wire I could just crimp it.
I use lots and lots of knots.

No seriously,
I tie a bunch of knots on there and use one of the axial plastic spacers (came on one of the trees but not sure which) on the line as well. I slide it on, then the hook, tie all the knots then slide the spacer over the knots. So it ends up looking sort of like this:

My old RC4WD hook but you get the idea:

Last edited by Locked Up; 07-06-2013 at 07:27 AM.
Locked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:23 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Thanks. I have a comp tomorrow, I'll write a bit of feedback about the line after it is over.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:35 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Awesome write up Slick with great pictures. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on these spools.
AddictedtoRC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:38 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

x2 One more question did it take care of all the slop my stock axles have almost a quater of an inch of back and forth movement and it gets annoying when crawling on a ledge over a big drop right next to a stream (my rig is not water proof).
mark32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:45 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark32 View Post
x2 One more question did it take care of all the slop my stock axles have almost a quater of an inch of back and forth movement and it gets annoying when crawling on a ledge over a big drop right next to a stream (my rig is not water proof).

Are you talking about side to sided slop?? There is none at all. As the wheel rotates you will find some slop front to rear is in your drive line not in the locker or spool unless you have egged it out. I run MIP shafts and that is where I find the play, in the driveshafts. I run the Holmes BRXL and the Holmes Hold makes a world of difference holding my 14lbs rig in place on steep descents. Time to water proof your rig. It never hurts and it is a simple thing to do.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:51 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Steal away, I was going to see if you wanted it posted up. I got a little over 6 feet on the spool. I don't like to put too much on the winch spool, other lines tend to jump off and bind up the winch. What have you found is the best way to secure a hook to the winch line. In the past when I used the beadalon coated wire I could just crimp it.
YouTube

This is the knot you want to use....

Last edited by JokersWild; 07-06-2013 at 11:54 PM.
JokersWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:38 PM   #11

Just out of curiosity.. Why are you running the longer links up front instead of in the back?

Quote:
Plush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:40 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Just out of curiosity.. Why are you running the longer links up front instead of in the back?

It might look a bit strange, I did it to get the wheelbase right for the hardbody I am running. I have not found it to be a problem at all. I have won Class 2 for the past two years in the club I belong to.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:23 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Thanks to LOCKED UP RC I had a wonderful showing at our large comp series here in PA this past weekend, RCrocs at Rausch Creek Offroad Park. I put the FI spools I installed and the winch line to good use. My 1.9 Iconic slw compatible wheels looked great wrapped in Pitbulls, they were the only type of tire that could climb the bridge with no issues. I was able to come away with first place in Class 2 out of a field of 10 drivers. The day started out wet and foggy since it had rained all night.

EPARCCrawlers has proudly partnered for a second season with Rausch Creek Off Road Park to bring radio controled scalers and rock crawlers into the world of full size rock crawlers. Last year we began hosting Class 2, 2.2 Pro and a Scale Dash\Poker run at the same time the big boys are holding their comp. This has been a great success and a very unique experience, since we are literally comp’n side by side on their crawling courses. The name of the full size event is the RCrocs Eastern Rock Crawling Competition.
This event attracts some top notch full size trucks to compete at Rausch Creek ORP here in Pennsylvania.

Rausch Creek Off Road Park is devoted to providing a fun legal place for 4×4 off road clubs and organizations to go “wheeling.” The park consists of almost 3,000 acres of easy, intermediate, and hard trails. Rocks, bowls, hills, the glacial “Rock Creek”, club friendly trails, and free on site camping combine to make Rausch Creek a unique 4×4 experience.

Last edited by Jslick; 07-14-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:16 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
The FI Spools you will need to press the axle tang into the spool.
Did I do something wrong, I actually had to hammer the axle-shaft in the FI spool .
TrailAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:46 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailAddict View Post
Did I do something wrong, I actually had to hammer the axle-shaft in the FI spool .
A little persuasion is needed.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:24 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Well since this thread is active and you are the only person on RCC running FI spools in AX10 axles (Carter fab runs his in wraith axles) I have figured I might as well post this here. I have previously posted this in an older thread about shimming gears but I doubt I will be answered...

I'm a total noob when it comes to shimming gears and I would need help, I recently bought the overdrive and stock ratio HD axial gears for my SCX10. I mated them up with the Locked up rc FI spools. The gear mesh in the back axle is really tight (I think it is anyway) . The best way I can describe it is that it’s a metallic grinding (even tough white lithium grease has been generously applied). When I open the case and place the ring gear in the pinion side of the case, I can move it side to side by maybe a fraction of a millimeter. Making sure the pinion has been seated correctly to the bearing in the axle case I close the axle and apply pressure on it, to simulate the pressure of the screws, I am able to push the pinion into the axle. Is my gear mesh to tight or to loose? What could I do to fix it? Once the mesh is good will the metallic grinding sound (and feel) go away? Or will it simply take time to get the gears to wear appropriately?

So should I be worried about shimming or should I just run the gears and get some wear on them?

Thanks
Old 09-19-2013, 11:56 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

I have found that closing a axle up by hand an with the screws, give 2 totally diff effects.. IMO.. you will have a better idea of what's goin on, once you have put ur 4 screws in an push ur lockouts and/or chubs on.

I did the same thing in my last axle rebuild. It felt loose, so I shimmed.. well after I put it all together, I took it all back apart.. had to remove the shims.
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:33 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

I’ve just tried reassembling the whole rear axle, you were right , it’s completely different . The pinion is now locked in place, it will not slide back and forth like it used to. But I still get that metallic rubbing sound and feel when I spin the gears. Do I just run it and let it wear itself out?

Thanks
Old 09-19-2013, 12:50 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailAddict View Post
I’ve just tried reassembling the whole rear axle, you were right , it’s completely different . The pinion is now locked in place, it will not slide back and forth like it used to. But I still get that metallic rubbing sound and feel when I spin the gears. Do I just run it and let it wear itself out?

Thanks
I have found that most things have a bit of break in time until everything gets seated.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:04 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Thank you Jslick and winnerone23 , the RCC community is just fantastic, I love it.

JSLICK Class 2 LOCKED UP RC FI spool midseason tuneup - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Locked Up RC - FI Spool Locked Up Locked Up RC 121 04-26-2017 10:20 AM
Locked Up RC - FI Spool Locked Up General Crawlers 3 07-05-2013 08:00 PM
traxxas slash 4x4 spool or no spool? Oregon crawler Formula Offroad 12 03-17-2012 02:02 PM
Axial AX10 Locked Axle Set and Locked Transmission Xtant3150c General Crawlers 13 07-22-2007 01:39 PM