RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   General Crawlers (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-crawlers/)
-   -   Too many upgrades to an SCX10 Axle? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-crawlers/359599-too-many-upgrades-scx10-axle.html)

neillarson 01-13-2012 09:52 AM

Too many upgrades to an SCX10 Axle?

I was building a new front axle and decided to go all in. I have Highland Crawlers XHD Lockers, Axial Universals, Beef Toobs, Clockable aluminum Chubs and High Steer Knuckles.

When I was assembling it, I found that I had to was the axle stats out of the lockers a small amount for the Toobs to line up with the holes in the axle case. Once it was all together, the axle turns hard and makes clicking noise. I have thought about grinding a bit off of each end of the tools so I can fully seat the axles in the lockers and see if that frees up some of the strain.

Any of you ever tried this combo? Have an issues? Possible Solutions?

Thanks

johnnyh66 01-13-2012 09:56 AM

Re: Too many upgrades to an SCX10 Axle?

Quote:

Originally Posted by neillarson (Post 3503452)
I was building a new front axle and decided to go all in. I have Highland Crawlers XHD Lockers, Axial Universals, Beef Toobs, Clockable aluminum Chubs and High Steer Knuckles.

ohh man, that's basically the combo I'm running but with MIP CVD's :evil:

My lockers arrived yesterday so I haven't installed them yet, was going to after the gtg Sunday.

neillarson 01-13-2012 10:01 AM

We have a GTG this Sunday? Holy Shit, I am not going to have anything but the Wraith ready.

johnnyh66 01-13-2012 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neillarson (Post 3503467)
We have a GTG this Sunday? Holy Shit, I am not going to have anything but the Wraith ready.

trying to get one going "thumbsup"

rockrigcustoms 01-14-2012 07:11 PM

Don't have that setup but.
I have GCM metal head axles, super 300 axles, axial alum c hubs, and vanqish 0 ackerman knuckles.
I had to drill 2 new holes in my hubs to get them to slide off the axle another 1/8" so my knuckles would bolt up. I couldn't get both bolts in the knuckle cuz the axle stuck out too far Becuz the metalhead axle tubes were alittle shorter than the stock axial. Hope this helps.

punkfan 01-15-2012 07:07 AM

You might have already checked this , but make sure the bearing on the inside of the axle @ the pinion is set fully into the race I just built a new set yesterday that did the same thing because the bearing was just 1-2 mm high. i used the thick end of a punch and a hammer (gently) to push the bearing fully into the race. hope that helps

Erin 01-15-2012 08:13 AM

You should actually have a bit more room for toobs due to highlands locker being slighty shorter then the stock locker. What is the lenght of the toobs? Are they KC's or the new ones?

I would grind toob down till everything sits as it should.

neillarson 01-15-2012 09:29 AM

They are KCs. I am going to try grinding them if the demo gets up near 30.