Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Heavy crawler vs light crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2012, 09:27 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Heavy crawler vs light crawler

all my scalers are on the heavy side, 9 to 10 lbs. because it acts more like real thing, it's not bouncing around and yes it break parts like a mother and I like.

my comp rig on the other hand is around 5 to 6 lbs.

I guess it's whatever suits your driving style
ped453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2017, 03:21 PM   #22

im super vague on set-up and not into comps but in my opinion a heavy machine physically looks better.. not gonna happen but hpi or tamiya should make a huge leaf-spring scaler.. something utility based that leaves gnarly ruts behind it out on the trail.
Zachariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 07:47 PM   #23
RCC Addict

I really enjoyed my heavy Wraith, all weights down low center gravity is the King. It acts just like a real car
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:54 PM   #24
BDR
Quarry Creeper

Holy thread necro
BDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 06:25 AM   #25
Rock Stacker

I own a cheap Maverick Scout and some weight loss made quite a difference but proper weight distribution makes even more. The thing is there is no golden recipie and and you just to test and test and test to work it out... I like on mine to keep weights down low, but after fitting ar60 axles I removed some weight from the rims, for experimentation, and it climbs even better....
Vagos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:32 PM   #26

I run light, like 5.5-6lbs rtr. Easier and more predictable on off camber lines and breakovers tbh. Just gut the whole trucks, find some 850-1000mah lipos, get some weighted knuckles and call it a day
FrancoSFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 10:03 AM   #27

It should be a balance between shock settings, articulation and height of CG. You aren't going to get any better than having X% of weight as wide and low as possible.... If the wheels are leaving the ground, it'd be better to change one of the variables.

When it comes to style or feel, all variables are out the window, IMO.
pielet97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 12:30 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

When you guys weigh your rigs, is it with the battery in ready to run? My Wraith weighs in at 9lbs even with a 3s 5200mah pack.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 05:39 PM   #29
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by holycaveman View Post
Yea that's true.

But there are some times where the tires just wont hold the line do to it being so heavy.

Yes, they heavy rigs do not hold the line, but I like this way as it was like real 1:1 true scale feel.
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 11:11 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

As far as my rigs weight - I have no scale at all... and haven't met up with any other crawlers to compare with. I'd say my Ascender is pretty light - just a steel battery tray, 3S full-size LiPo instead of a Shorty pack, and brass SSD knuckles to really change anything.

My Bomber will be a PIG. I don't really care about weight savings on it, but I nearly have enough leftover kit parts to make a stock kit one as well...

The Bomber doesn't have "weights" added or brass parts, but there is going to be a metric-sh*t-ton of aluminum and stainless upgrade parts. One set of wheels are aluminum wrapped in kit tires, the other are Delrin wrapped in much taller and wider tires. I'll have fun comparing... and if I don't end up having to sell off the other bits, I'll have that comparison as well - because I'll build it as #2.

Bomber #1 will be underdriven front & rear, and spur/pinion likely stock. #2 would be standard diff gears, and also stock spur/pinion - to start out, both will have temps checked. Will likely trade/sell unused 2200kv HH PP motor for higher kv - close to or equal the 3500kv HH PP going in #1.

I suppose I will need to either purchase a scale or go somewhere and weigh my rig(s) at some point!
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 02:06 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

It really seems to come down to Driving Style and Personal Comfort Level. It's like in the 1:1 World, where some prefer an ultra light CJ, with Aluminum Panels, and drilled Frame Rails..... and someone else preferring a loaded down F-350.
It's what YOU can handle better, isn't it??
PoorManRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 02:32 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

I'm not sure with really capable crawlers but in terms of most scaler / trail rigs i've found a mix of advantages and disadvantages with my heavyweight rig vs lighter rigs.

When rolling / crashing i break parts more often

On very loose ground like sand or similar, i dig in and get stuck easier but on stuff like rocks and hard packed dirt it's much more stable and has a lot more bite. If it's wet though then usually the lighter rigs have an easier time than mines as the extra weight just prevents it from getting up hills easier as there's no traction to put the extra weight to use.

I find heavier tends to look a lot more scale as well in terms of how the truck moves and hehaves
Hardcoretam is offline   Reply With Quote

Heavy crawler vs light crawler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Heavy crawler? rcdude Newbie General 4 08-21-2011 01:24 PM
Wheels... Heavy or Light? why? the02stangman Tires and Wheels 8 10-26-2009 09:35 PM
heavy or light weight? klaygrover Axial AX-10 Scorpion 4 10-15-2009 02:41 PM
what is better a light rig or a heavy one? theblackmonky Newbie General 6 09-01-2009 07:33 PM
Light or heavy? What is your setup? Pappy EnRoute Berg 20 07-31-2009 10:29 PM