Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Traxxas Big Bore in 80mm?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2020, 07:25 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Traxxas Big Bore in 80mm?

So for years I've ran Traxxas 2660's on my rigs. Now that I've got an Ultra I'm trying to find a shock in the 75-80mm length. Does anyone know if it's possible to mod or make a Big Bore at this length?
GTSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2020, 12:10 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Traxxas Big Bore in 80mm?

Put a spacer (fuel tubing for example) on the shaft outside the shock body to limit the travel.

Adjust the length of the spacer to avoid collision, good to go.
Xx Losungen xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 05:02 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

You can use a spacer inside the shock body to shorten it to the desired length. Some recommend nitro fuel tubing; you can also use nylon spacers.
Smokin' Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 06:21 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Joe View Post
You can use a spacer inside the shock body to shorten it to the desired length. Some recommend nitro fuel tubing; you can also use nylon spacers.
Outside the shock body.
Old 04-07-2020, 06:27 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx Losungen xX View Post
Outside the shock body.
Inside. Outside limits travel but extended length and ride height is same. Inside shortens overall length and travel, which is what he wants to achieve.

Quote:
I too prefer nylon spacers
Joshs4x4toyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 07:03 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Spacers on the inside will limit extension (how far down the axle travels), spacers on the outside will limit compression (how far up the axle can travel).

Is compression not the problem? I don't have one of these trucks but I assume collision is the issue and not droop, perhaps I am wrong.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:07 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx Losungen xX View Post
Spacers on the inside will limit extension (how far down the axle travels), spacers on the outside will limit compression (how far up the axle can travel).

Is compression not the problem? I don't have one of these trucks but I assume collision is the issue and not droop, perhaps I am wrong.
Oh i see what youre saying as well. Im reading it as he wants to lower ride height with big bores to the ultra shock height at 80mm. Guess Nathan will need to chime in
Old 04-07-2020, 07:25 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Even if lowering ride height was the goal, spacers on the inside would be the worst way to go about it.

If they had any effect on ride height it would mean your springs are way to hard.

It would be like running zero droop with way to heavy of a spring, the piston pushed hard against the bottom of the shock body, gross!

Only reason to put a spacer on the inside would be to limit extension of the shock, definitely not ride height.

Given that the axle sits higher relative to the wheel than without portals, I'm assuming here that the reason for 80mm shocks is because of that reduced clearance between the axle and the frame, hence the spacer on the outside.

Fuel tubing on the outside fits tight and won't trap dirt which can ruin the shock shaft. Plus, it's easily adjustable with a razor Blade without having to dissemble the shock.
Old 04-07-2020, 09:34 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Here are my modded 2660 with 7mm spacer inside. It keeps a low ride height and perfect with these mini t springs. Still the smoothest shock I've ever had and sit at 82mm. I'm thinking this is what youre wanting to accomplish. Hope that helps

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

Last edited by Joshs4x4toyz; 04-07-2020 at 09:50 PM.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:29 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I think the traxxas bandit front shocks are 90mm overall, not much to adjust
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 02:53 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I have used spacers in both locations (inside the shock body and outside) on shocks for different purposes. Spacers outside reduce travel without shortening the shock (they don't affect ride height). Spacers inside the shock body effectively shorten the shock (reducing ride height and travel). If you use a full length spring for that shock, then this will increase preload and remove droop travel. If you use a shorter spring, then this effect doesn't occur.
Old 04-08-2020, 06:19 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

This is the part I don't get about putting spacers inside to lower ride height...

How does a spacer inside lower ride height without sitting on the spacer itself? In order to lower ride height from inside, the spacer HAS to be taking up all ability for the shock shaft to extend, AKA zero droop.

I can understand using a spacer inside to limit droop, I do it myself but why would you want to be driving around with what is essentially a fully extended shock with zero droop?

Is it just not as bad as it sounds?
Old 04-08-2020, 06:39 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Example 1
Just for explanation sake, a 100mm shock is measured at full extension and measures 70mm at full compression and so has a stroke of 30mm. If you remove the shock rod/piston assy from the body and install a 10mm spacer on the rod under the piston then install the rod back inside the body the rod can now only extend 20mm effectively making the 100mm shock now only a 90mm with a reduced stroke of 20mm. Now you have a 90mm shock extended and 70mm compressed.

Example 2
Same 100mm shock but this time remove the cap from the body and just drop the 10mm spacer in on top of the piston and replace the cap. Now the shock will extend 100mm but will only compress to 80mm.

You can replicate example 2 externally by removing the link on the end of the rod and installing the 10mm spacer between the body and the rod end.

Last edited by Inspector86; 04-08-2020 at 06:57 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 06:42 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
Just for explanation sake, a 100mm shock is measured at full extension and measures 70mm at full compression and so has a stroke of 30mm. If you remove the shock rod from the body and install a 10mm spacer on the rod above the piston then install the rod back inside the body the rod can now only extend 20mm effectively making the 100mm shock now only a 90mm with a reduced stroke of 20mm. Now you have a 90mm shock extended and 70mm compressed.
Yes I get that, limiting extension.

What I'm talking about is lowering ride height.

And yes, your new edit, example 2 is limiting compression, the opposite of example 1, if the spacer was to long, it would raise ride height and have zero compression. Seems as desirable as having zero extension.

Last edited by Xx Losungen xX; 04-08-2020 at 07:02 PM.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:01 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Think of his this way.
What happens when the the suspension gets lower? The shocks get shorter. So lower ride height = shorter shocks. By limiting the extended length of the shock you limit the ride height.

Of course you can relocate the upper shock mount up or drop the lower shock mount or both to maintain a long shock with more stroke to also get a lower ride height. There is more than one way to lower ride height and limiting the shock length is just one.

Last edited by Inspector86; 04-08-2020 at 07:11 PM.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:22 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Think of his this way.
What happens when the the suspension gets lower? The shocks get shorter. So lower ride height = shorter shocks. By limiting the extended length of the shock you limit the ride height.

Of course you can relocate the upper shock mount up or drop the lower shock mount or both to maintain a long shock with more stroke to also get a lower ride height. There is more than one way to lower ride height and limiting the shock length is just one.
Yes, I understand that using a spacer long enough to lower ride height, will lower ride height lol.

I'm asking WHY would anyone want to do that? Why would you want ZERO extension of the shock?

I fully understand how using a spacer on the inside of the shock will limit extension.

I also fully understand how using a spacer on the outside of a shock will limit compression.

I'm not understanding why you would use a spacer long enough to lower ride height, which means you have zero extension.

I'm not sure how else to explain this, I'll try below.

If the shock piston is sitting at 10mm from the bottom of the shock and I want to lower my ride height by 10mm, I would need to put a 20mm spacer inside the shock. If I did that the piston would be resting on the spacer. If I picked the truck up by the roof, no shock would extend, I would have ZERO shock extension. Why would anyone do that??

If I want to limit extension (droop) I could use any length of spacer below 10mm and not affect ride height at all. Let's say I used a 5mm spacer, the piston would still be sitting at 10mm above the bottom of the shock body, which means zero change in ride height. All I've done is change how far the shock can extend, which is now 5mm less.

Last edited by Xx Losungen xX; 04-08-2020 at 07:27 PM.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:43 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

You are assuming you kept the same spring length. With shorter shocks you usually use shorter springs as well.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:50 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Why would someone do that? Someone like the OP who cannot find a suitable 80mm shock? I'm not saying it is the ideal setup but it is a way to accomplish a lower ride height. Personally, I would work toward raising the upper shock mount and/or dropping the lower shock mount. Then work on achieving 50% droop with spring adjustments.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:21 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
You are assuming you kept the same spring length. With shorter shocks you usually use shorter springs as well.
No, I'm not at all. No one here has mentioned changing ride height with springs and/or length of shock, I'm specifically referring to lowering ride height WITH SPACERS.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:22 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Why would someone do that? Someone like the OP who cannot find a suitable 80mm shock? I'm not saying it is the ideal setup but it is a way to accomplish a lower ride height. Personally, I would work toward raising the upper shock mount and/or dropping the lower shock mount. Then work on achieving 50% droop with spring adjustments.
Yes, that would be the way to do that, not end up with 0% droop as has been advised.

Traxxas Big Bore in 80mm? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
traxxas big bore help Matty221133 Axial XR10 6 12-03-2013 02:48 PM
traxxas big bore marco.m Axial XR10 3 09-12-2012 08:27 AM
traxxas big bore??? bigemike Axial SCX-10 1 08-21-2012 09:11 PM
3.5 traxxas big bore Grimreeper General Crawlers 5 04-29-2010 09:09 AM