Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Help me understand, explain, and fix or solve torque twist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2012, 10:48 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Help me understand, explain, and fix or solve torque twist

There are all sorts of rigs with TT from the MRC ,to the creeper, to all those awesome shaft driven supers! Help me understand and explain TT.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial...-new-post.html
opek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2012, 10:57 AM   #2
Yashua

Default Re: Help me understand, explain, and fix or solve torque twist

Maybe this will help;
Torque is the same as Force, only Force is a push or pull and Torque is a twist. If we want to calculate Acceleration we fall onto the simple equation:
F = MA or Force = Mass * Acceleration
Rearranged for A:
A = F / M or Acceleration = Force / Mass

A simple observation here is that more Force or less Mass will allow you to Accelerate faster. But we all know that one. :-)

Torque gets converted into Force ( twist gets converted into push ) when Torque applied to your axel turns your tires and the tires act on the ground. The ground is stationary, so the car must move forward. Converting engine Torque to Force allows me to point out that Torque accelerates your car, not Power. Power is the amount of work per unit of time.
CREEPERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:27 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

How does that translate into the way link triangulation affects TT?
Old 02-20-2012, 11:43 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Lecture 18
ClassicGMJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:16 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Mirror your tranny and switch to a 4 link suspension preferably with a sorta wide mount points on the axles for your upper links. Helped me tremendously.
donhd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:13 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

A simple way to look at it is, with a ring & pinion axle (like all the rigs you listed, but NO MOA's!!) the drive-shaft & pinion are trying to climb the ring gear in the diff. Since you're also trying to accelerate the axle & wheels (which are likely weighted) you have 2 forces fighting each other.
-One force is the twist down the length of the rig caused by the rotating drive-shaft.
-One force is across the rig caused by the axle.

When you accelerate the rig, the drive-shaft is trying to accelerate the axle but there is some resistance (object at rest tends to stay at rest......) so some extra power is wasted by rocking the rig over (torque twist).

Triangulation spreads the loads wider giving more leverage of the chassis against the axle, thus helping reduce the signs of torque twist.

Dropping wheel weight would help as well since there would be less resistance to acceleration (or deceleration).

Does that help any?
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:41 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
but NO MOA's!!
Or worm gear axles....
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:54 PM   #8

i like torque twist ;)
jdm06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:52 PM   #9
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Or worm gear axles....
Its still there, just in a much smaller amount because of the gear reduction. The greater the ratio, the less twist you will have. If you had a worm gear axle with the same amount of reduction as a garden variety ring and pinion, the twist would be the same.

I've never considered the "gears are trying to climb" idea as a very good explanation of TT. Realizing that you have rotational force originating from a base that is not solidly anchored (chassis) and applying it to something that is more stationary (axle) and its pretty easy to understand that something has to move. The easier it is for that rotational force to transfer power (gear reduction) the less effect the twisting motion will be evident.

A properly tuned 4 suspension will mechanically and preemptively counteract or redirect that force but not eliminate it. When enough force is applied, TT will always show up eventually.

Last edited by Duuuuuuuude; 02-20-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:56 PM   #10
Old guy

What he said.
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:10 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
A simple way to look at it is, with a ring & pinion axle (like all the rigs you listed, but NO MOA's!!) the drive-shaft & pinion are trying to climb the ring gear in the diff. Since you're also trying to accelerate the axle & wheels (which are likely weighted) you have 2 forces fighting each other.
-One force is the twist down the length of the rig caused by the rotating drive-shaft.
-One force is across the rig caused by the axle.

When you accelerate the rig, the drive-shaft is trying to accelerate the axle but there is some resistance (object at rest tends to stay at rest......) so some extra power is wasted by rocking the rig over (torque twist).

Triangulation spreads the loads wider giving more leverage of the chassis against the axle, thus helping reduce the signs of torque twist.

Dropping wheel weight would help as well since there would be less resistance to acceleration (or deceleration).

Does that help any?
I don't understand the leverage of the chassis against the axle. Supposing you have well aligned heims and spin the axle or chassis along the roll axis wouldn't twisting of the axle and chassis be nearly independent of each other?
Old 02-20-2012, 03:22 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicGMJunkie View Post
So a coil spring operates by twisting as it compresses? That is too cool.

So what I'm getting from this is there are two torques in play. The first "Troll" is going to be where the roll axis intersects the plane perpendicular to the output shaft on the transmission. The other "Tout" is going to be in the center of the output shaft itself. Varying the distance between these two points will change how much mechanical advantage Tout will have when it is applied to Troll.

Would raising the roll axis make the lever arm coming from the trans output longer? Would that reduce the appearance of TT?
Old 02-20-2012, 06:03 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Its still there, just in a much smaller amount because of the gear reduction.
That, and because of the location and direction of contact on the gears. The pinion gear is on top of the spool pulling it forward as opposed to pushing the drive gear up or down...

Quote:
I've never considered the "gears are trying to climb" idea as a very good explanation of TT. Realizing that you have rotational force originating from a base that is not solidly anchored (chassis) and applying it to something that is more stationary (axle) and its pretty easy to understand that something has to move. The easier it is for that rotational force to transfer power (gear reduction) the less effect the twisting motion will be evident.

A properly tuned 4 suspension will mechanically and preemptively counteract or redirect that force but not eliminate it. When enough force is applied, TT will always show up eventually.
Newton's third.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:13 PM   #14
Suck it up!

Quote:
That, and because of the location and direction of contact on the gears. The pinion gear is on top of the spool pulling it forward as opposed to pushing the drive gear up or down...
I would still consider that to have much less effect than the twisting motion of the driveshaft...

Ask anyone who's ever ran a floor buffer...the greater the resistance between the pad and the floor, the greater the chance of you getting tossed on your ass. Not because of how the pad is driven, but because of how much the floor resists the rotational force of the pad. Because the floor is anchored to the earth, and the buffer is anchored (loosely) to you, the floor isn't likely to move.

Last edited by Duuuuuuuude; 02-20-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:16 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I would still consider that to have much less effect than the twisting motion of the driveshaft...
That whole mechanism is causing a major portion of the torque twist. If you were to compare a stock LCC and a stock AX10, which one has more torque twist? They both have driveshafts...
Old 02-20-2012, 06:19 PM   #16
Suck it up!

Quote:
If you were to compare a stock LCC and a stock AX10, which one has more torque twist? They both have driveshafts...
The LCC has greater reduction at the axle, making it easier for the driveshaft to transfer force.

Like I said earlier, build a worm gear axle with the same reduction as an average ring and pinion setup and the TT will be nearly the same.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:21 PM   #17
Old guy

Harumph.
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:22 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Ask anyone who's ever ran a floor buffer...the greater the resistance between the pad and the floor, the greater the chance of you getting tossed on your ass. Not because of how the pad is driven, but because of how much the floor resists the rotational force of the pad. Because the floor is anchored to the earth, and the buffer is anchored (loosely) to you, the floor isn't likely to move.
Now consider a roto-tiller......any fear of the operator getting tossed to the side? Nope. They might fall on their face and get drug around, but they wont be tossed off to the side like in your example.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:23 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Like I said earlier, build a worm gear axle with the same reduction as an average ring and pinion setup and the TT will be nearly the same.
Ok, I will wait patiently for you to finish this project.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:26 PM   #20
Suck it up!

Quote:
Now consider a roto-tiller......any fear of the operator getting tossed to the side? Nope. They might fall on their face and get drug around, but they wont be tossed off to the side like in your example.
A roto-tiller doesn't apply force to the ground in the same manner. Lay it on its side and it does.

Help me understand, explain, and fix or solve torque twist - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is Torque Twist (TT) and how to fix it. opek Axial AX-10 Scorpion 86 07-16-2013 09:22 PM
Torque twist abbott90 Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 4 04-02-2011 05:47 AM
help!-- Torque twist Tom94offroaduk Newbie General 24 03-03-2011 04:46 PM
can someone explain stall torque camobob Electronics 7 03-17-2010 09:27 AM
torque twist rockmike Tamiya TLT Crawlers 82 06-06-2007 12:26 AM