Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Toe in, Toe out, or Zero ack?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 03:16 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Toe in, Toe out, or Zero ack?

After reading MANY threads, There are pros and cons to each.

What are YOU running, and why?
The Jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-29-2012, 07:15 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Toe in, Toe out, or Zero ack?

I am ultimately trying to get a tighter turning radius, but am limited to the angle my dogbones will afford. CVDs are not yet available for the RS10.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:27 PM   #3
MODERATOR™

It depends which steering knuckle mechanically bottoms out first. If it's the outside knuckle that bottoms out first add toe out. That will make the inside knuckle come closer to bottoming out also. If it's the inside knuckle that bottoms out first, you can add toe in to get the outside knuckle closer to bottoming out also.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:02 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

It's not the knuckle bottoming out. It's the cups on the dogbones. They are only capable of so much angle before they jam. Both sides are capable of the exact same angle.

When I first researched it, I set up my steering with some toe-out , to follow the ackerman theory of different path radi of each tire. But with locked diffs , I think this theory doesn't apply the same. There is still a lot of scrubbing. Would toe-in be much better? Or should I be running zero ackerman knuckles to get both tires to their maximum angle during full lock?
Old 03-01-2012, 12:26 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

You should be able to do a little grinding on those cups to give more throw. Make the angle larger and shorten the cup some. Dont go too far or you'll start throwing pins...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:56 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
You should be able to do a little grinding on those cups to give more throw. Make the angle larger and shorten the cup some. Dont go too far or you'll start throwing pins...
And when you start to throw pins you are likely to bend the dogbone, which will just make it pop out constantly.
opek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:24 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Yeah I looked into grinding the cups. The RS10 cups are allready taken down as far as they can go. No grinding necessary. I put the o-rings on the inside cups to push the dogbones farther into the outer cups too.

Now I'm just trying to get the tires to do what I want them too! I need the outer tire to grab and the inner tire to scrub, I think.......
Old 03-01-2012, 01:26 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackalope View Post
Yeah I looked into grinding the cups. The RS10 cups are allready taken down as far as they can go. No grinding necessary. I put the o-rings on the inside cups to push the dogbones farther into the outer cups too.

Now I'm just trying to get the tires to do what I want them too! I need the outer tire to grab and the inner tire to scrub, I think.......
Antisquat and roll center will play a part in that, I do believe! And there is a great antisquat thread which discusses both of those things called Diagram for Anti-Squat.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:55 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by opek View Post
Antisquat and roll center will play a part in that, I do believe! And there is a great antisquat thread which discusses both of those things called Diagram for Anti-Squat.
That is true. I will keep that in mind as thats the other adjustments I'm fine tuning at this time too. Thanks.

But seriously guys, if you have unlimited steering, like, say; a shafty with CVDs, how would you set up your steering??
Old 03-02-2012, 04:56 PM   #10
RCC Addict

If you want to max out your steering, remove the tie rod from one knuckle, turn both knuckles the same way until they stop, then make the tie rod whatever length it needs to be at that point. Then live with the whatever toe in or out results. Probably quite a bit of toe out. Then make sure your servo and epa's will get to the full angle.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:11 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackalope View Post
That is true. I will keep that in mind as thats the other adjustments I'm fine tuning at this time too. Thanks.

But seriously guys, if you have unlimited steering, like, say; a shafty with CVDs, how would you set up your steering??
I would set up behind the axle steering so that the arms on the knuckles are aimed at the center of the rear axle so you have correct ackerman. Or if set on steering from the front make plates to go past zero ackerman. Like this.
Attached Images

josh6575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:11 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh6575 View Post
I would set up behind the axle steering so that the arms on the knuckles are aimed at the center of the rear axle so you have correct ackerman. Or if set on steering from the front make plates to go past zero ackerman. Like this.

Most people seem to run near to or zero ackerman. Given the packaging of the front links and shocks I have a hard time imagining correct ackerman to be best.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:17 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning View Post
If you want to max out your steering, remove the tie rod from one knuckle, turn both knuckles the same way until they stop, then make the tie rod whatever length it needs to be at that point. Then live with the whatever toe in or out results. Probably quite a bit of toe out. Then make sure your servo and epa's will get to the full angle.
I guess that makes the most sense in my situation. I need a new Rx/Tx to get a dig on there, so just getting everything I can from what I gots rights now.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:03 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Most people seem to run near to or zero ackerman. Given the packaging of the front links and shocks I have a hard time imagining correct ackerman to be best.
I do not do things just because others are doing it. I use methods that work. Even the Amish see the benefit of using correct ackerman on horse drawn equipment. There is no way they could get a spoked wooden wheel to hold up to an unnecisary side load. If one wheel is following a different path than the other then they are fighting each other which equals a loss of traction.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:39 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh6575 View Post
I do not do things just because others are doing it. I use methods that work. Even the Amish see the benefit of using correct ackerman on horse drawn equipment. There is no way they could get a spoked wooden wheel to hold up to an unnecisary side load. If one wheel is following a different path than the other then they are fighting each other which equals a loss of traction.
What about when the front diff is locked? FWIW lots of people on this forum are very intelligent and extremely well educated. They don't do things for no reason. There is nothing wrong with doing your own thing, just look at my ax10 thread to see how foolish I can be. Understanding why the best of the best do something is a bit different than assuming they are wrong.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:39 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

The point I was getting at with this thread is to find out what works. I have been running toe-out to get closer to true ackerman. But I found it doesn't work the same way with a locked diff. One tire has to travel a longer distance than the other, so one is always going to scrub! There is a lot more to take into consideration here than just the radius path I think. I'm leaning more towards zero ackerman at this point.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:05 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
What about when the front diff is locked? FWIW lots of people on this forum are very intelligent and extremely well educated. They don't do things for no reason. There is nothing wrong with doing your own thing, just look at my ax10 thread to see how foolish I can be. Understanding why the best of the best do something is a bit different than assuming they are wrong.
Guess I came off badly did not mean to offend. What is this FWIW?
Old 03-03-2012, 02:31 PM   #18
RCC Addict

No worries. He wasn't swearing at you.
FWIW = For what it's worth
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:44 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

I have found that a slight toe out makes the outside tire drag a bit in the turn, and keeps it from undercutting and causing the inside tire to lift. The RS-10s are almost too flexy, and it will do something similar to "torque-bind" if the front wheels are toed in at all. It might not be as pronounced on less flexy units, but the loss of traction, and instability is still there.
I discovered this because I was a motorcycle mechanic for years, and we set the atvs toe out for just that reason.
smitty808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:11 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty808 View Post
I have found that a slight toe out makes the outside tire drag a bit in the turn, and keeps it from undercutting and causing the inside tire to lift. The RS-10s are almost too flexy, and it will do something similar to "torque-bind" if the front wheels are toed in at all. It might not be as pronounced on less flexy units, but the loss of traction, and instability is still there.
I discovered this because I was a motorcycle mechanic for years, and we set the atvs toe out for just that reason.
Not the case with a locked front diff. If I could get my inside tire to lift just by running reverse ackerman I'd be a happy cat.

Toe in, Toe out, or Zero ack? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Toe xjcritter General Crawlers 3 10-10-2011 04:15 PM
Toe In? JackJ Axial Wraith 3 09-17-2011 12:38 PM
toe in; toe out lowtek Newbie General 3 09-09-2011 08:46 AM
toe-in? Dmon Newbie General 8 05-19-2010 08:39 AM